Question

Out of sync

I have a Play bar and 3 Play ones currently playing and another play one in the box. The play bar and the two ones are paired as surround for tv, the other one is separate. They are always going out of sync and its like an echo, either the separate groups as together. What can I do to solve this? Currently it helps for a little while to pause and play music but after a few minutes it is out of sync again.

7 replies

Are you Grouping the surround room and and the lone PLAY:1?

There will be a time offset between the surround room and the lone speaker, but it should be constant.

I hear the echo when the 2 groups are playing but also with just the surround group playing. It is not just a bit off set... And eventually it's constant but I cannot listen music then, it is very annoying..

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Do you have the Playbar and the paired surrounds in a group, or did you add the One’s using “Add Surrounds” in the app? If the former, you need to do the latter.

Also, are you on the latest Sonos firmware,  v11.1?

Steve132,

You should only see two SONOS “Rooms”. I’ll call them ‘TV’ and the lone ‘PLAY:1’. Otherwise the pair of PLAY:1’s is not bonded to PLAYBAR as surrounds.

Also, keep in mind that sound is a bit pokey, traveling at approximately one foot per millisecond in air. This can lead to some awkward situations. Imagine two speakers wired to the same amplifier. The electrical signal will travel to the two speakers near the speed of light and for our purposes the two speakers will be synchronized. If the two speakers are 70 feet apart and you are standing near speaker ‘A’, speaker ‘B’ will be 70ms late. An observer standing near speaker ‘B’ will claim that your speaker is is 70ms late. Both of you are correct. A third listener standing midway between the two speakers will claim that they are synchronized, but might feel that both are late while playing a video game. Sound contractors and live performers must wrestle with this. Consider a room where the rear wall is 70 feet from the stage and speakers are placed on the stage. There will be a 70ms trip to the rear wall and 70ms back to the stage. This will fluster many audience members because the direct and reflected sounds both hit their position, but at different times.

In any case the acoustic delays are constant (actually, the delay will vary a bit with air density, but humans can’t easily track these small, slow variations).

Bonded SONOS speakers and members of a Group will be time aligned within about 1ms, even after many hours of listening. Regardless, that Grouped, distant kitchen might seem delayed when you are standing in the TV room.

Thanks for the replies!

The system is updated to the latest version 11.1

Set up is as Buzz describes but the lone kitchen speaker is "only" 15 feet away.

The strange thing is that the delay is not always occurring it happens quite frequently, I solve this to pause and resume the music. Then it stays away for some time but sooner or later the lag comes back again.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@Steve132 Thank you for bringing your concerns to us here and Welcome to the Sonos Community. Please confirm for us if you are using the Sonos app to stream your music service or if you are using a smart app in the TV or Airplay for the music source. As buzz points out you will get audio drops, delays and skips when grouping TV audio from your surround to your other Sonos rooms. Also, we will need your network topology with the model names and numbers of the products that are wired or wirelessly connected on your network for any modem, router(s), extenders, access points or switches (managed or unmanaged). Anything you can do to reduce wifi interference is helpful as well.

After you have gathered the above information then please power re-boot off your wifi equipment for 30 seconds with no lights on it, meaning no battery backup, then power it back up. While this equipment is powering back on then power re-boot off your Sonos units for the same time with no lights and plug them back in to power, no button pressing is needed. While we are powering on then re-boot the device(s) running the Sonos app and then test the music playback starting from the Sonos app for 30+ minutes. You can then follow up here with the needed topology, results of the testing steps and a new diagnostic report number.

Additional: Can you be more specific with this description - The strange thing is that the delay is not always occurring it happens quite frequently