Question

Out of Sync

• 12 September 2019
  • 19 replies

I have a play 1, play 3, play 5 and a CONNECT. I recently connected the CONNECT to my soundbar but when I stream music the CONNECT is about a half a second out of sync with my other speakers. Is there a fix to this?

19 replies

That does seem odd.

What is is the source of the music? Have you tried a simple reboot of the CONNECT? Is the a possibility that the CONNECT is in a WiFi repeater or different “node” than your other Sonos devices?
The Connect is in sync, I suspect, but DSP in the soundbar is delaying the sound. Does the soundbar have a 'direct" mode? Something that turns off DSP.
That does seem odd.

What is is the source of the music? Have you tried a simple reboot of the CONNECT? Is the a possibility that the CONNECT is in a WiFi repeater or different “node” than your other Sonos devices?

I am streaming Apple Music through the SONOS app via WiFi. I have tried rebooting it, and also tried a factory reset. The problem still remains the same. As to WiFi connection, all speakers are connected to the same router.
I don't think this has anything to do with the Connect. Or wifi.
I’d unsurprisingly agree with John, there’s nothing here that I think we can help with. I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos Support to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
The Connect is in sync, I suspect, but DSP in the soundbar is delaying the sound. Does the soundbar have a 'direct" mode? Something that turns off DSP.
I have the Sony HT-ST5000 soundbar. I couldn’t find anything in the setting to help fix this issue. I am assuming it has something to do with the soundbar as well, just can’t figure it out.
What is the make and model of the soundbar?

The Connect was really designed for hifi amps not AV amps (which is what a soundbar is). But sometimes there is a setting on the amp that will sort this.
Doh. I totally misread this whole thread. I missed the soundbar aspect.

Please listen to John, and not to me.
Is there a ClearAudio+ button on the remote? Try pressing that.
Is there a ClearAudio+ button on the remote? Try pressing that.
Tried that, still delayed.
There will be something (hopefully). I am pretty sure this is downstream of the Connect. Google is your friend.

You could, as Bruce suggested, submit a diagnostic to definitively prove that the Connect is in sync.
Took a very quick look at the manual and even the 'music' sound field clearly involves some tinkering with the sound. I think I have gone as far as I can I'm afraid.
Badge
Have you connected through analog out or digital out from the sonos connect? If you have used the digital out there is almost expected to be a delay from the digital to analog conversion in the soundbar. The analog out from the sonos connect might speed things up through the soundbar. If you already tried analog out I have no other ideas.
Took a very quick look at the manual and even the 'music' sound field clearly involves some tinkering with the sound. I think I have gone as far as I can I'm afraid.
I feel I’ve tried everything. Just submitted this thread to see if there were any hidden tricks. Thanks, John I appreciate the help.
Have you connected through analog out or digital out from the sonos connect? If you have used the digital out there is almost expected to be a delay from the digital to analog conversion in the soundbar. The analog out from the sonos connect might speed things up through the soundbar. If you already tried analog out I have no other ideas.
I running optical to optical. My soundbar doesn’t have an analog input. I can see if I can find a conversion cord laying around.
Badge

Have you connected through analog out or digital out from the sonos connect? If you have used the digital out there is almost expected to be a delay from the digital to analog conversion in the soundbar. The analog out from the sonos connect might speed things up through the soundbar. If you already tried analog out I have no other ideas.I running optical to optical. My soundbar doesn’t have an analog input. I can see if I can find a conversion cord laying around.

I looked up the manual for your soundbar and it looks like it should have a 3.5 mm analog input. If you have a cable with 2xRCA (red and white) and a 3.5 mm plug in the other end it should work. Can’t promise the delay will be gone but it is probably worth a try.

Have you connected through analog out or digital out from the sonos connect? If you have used the digital out there is almost expected to be a delay from the digital to analog conversion in the soundbar. The analog out from the sonos connect might speed things up through the soundbar. If you already tried analog out I have no other ideas.I running optical to optical. My soundbar doesn’t have an analog input. I can see if I can find a conversion cord laying around.
I looked up the manual for your soundbar and it looks like it should have a 3.5 mm analog input. If you have a cable with 2xRCA (red and white) and a 3.5 mm plug in the other end it should work. Can’t promise the delay will be gone but it is probably worth a try.

Oh yeah, you’re absolutely right. I will give that shot. Thanks.
I am happy to be proved wrong, but digital analog conversion should be virtually instantaneous. If not then this would be an issue with the Connect digital output for every amp. But it isn't. Hifi amps are generally fine.

But let's see. Maybe getting an analog signal will stop the DSP.
I am happy to be proved wrong, but digital analog conversion should be virtually instantaneous. If not then this would be an issue with the Connect digital output for every amp. But it isn't. Hifi amps are generally fine.

But let's see. Maybe getting an analog signal will stop the DSP.

Was thinking the same thing but will give it shot. I will update you guys tomorrow, I just order the cord.