Question

Our sonos playbar all of a sudden stopped playing the TV sound. Still can played over but not TV sound nor DVD nor Apple TV. Please help.

• 19 February 2015
  • 91 replies

Our sonos playbar all of a sudden stopped playing the TV sound. Still can played over but not TV sound nor DVD nor Apple TV. Please help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

91 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I have had my Sonos product for over a year and everything worked great. For some reason now I cannot hear sound from my Samsung Smart TV (UN65JU7100) through the Sound bar and my two play 1 speakers. I can play music (E.g. Pandora) from my phone and sound comes from all the speakers. I unplugged the soundbar and it did not make a difference. The optical cable attached to the Samsung one connect mini to the Soundbar has a Red light. I even tried using a high end optical cable (new) and it didn't change anything. The TV plays audio from the TV speakers but when I change it to audio out/optical to hear the TV sound through the sound bar nothing happens. Diagnostics # 7593421. Please advise what I need to do.

Have you resolved this issue? My tv and Sonos system has done the same thing after a Sonos firmware update. I had to change my tv setting to PCM instead of Dolby Digital and I now have sound but unfortunately only in Stereo. I no longer have Dolby Digital 5.1 when I watch tv (Cable, Netflix, Blu-Ray). I hope a fix will be coming out soon because this is annoying...
While you wait for Sonos to swing by and look at that diagnostic, may I suggest that you look at the audio settings for both the TV and for the devices that are connected to it? It's feasible that there was a background update that changed the settings that you made to keep it at Dolby Digital or PCM/Stereo.
I have had my Sonos product for over a year and everything worked great. For some reason now I cannot hear sound from my Samsung Smart TV (UN65JU7100) through the Sound bar and my two play 1 speakers. I can play music (E.g. Pandora) from my phone and sound comes from all the speakers. I unplugged the soundbar and it did not make a difference. The optical cable attached to the Samsung one connect mini to the Soundbar has a Red light. I even tried using a high end optical cable (new) and it didn't change anything. The TV plays audio from the TV speakers but when I change it to audio out/optical to hear the TV sound through the sound bar nothing happens. Diagnostics # 7593421. Please advise what I need to do.

Have you resolved this issue? My tv and Sonos system has done the same thing after a Sonos firmware update. I had to change my tv setting to PCM instead of Dolby Digital and I now have sound but unfortunately only in Stereo. I no longer have Dolby Digital 5.1 when I watch tv (Cable, Netflix, Blu-Ray). I hope a fix will be coming out soon because this is annoying...

Exactly same problem here, after update to 7.4 this happens. Some tv channels plays fine, but some won't. Have problems with my Apple TV too. If I set to pcm everything works. But want did 5.1, I guess there is something wrong with the update. Before everything worked fine
It's very upsetting to have invested all this money and now I can't enjoy my system, I have to switch to PCM and it sounds like crap!!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
7760436 No sound when connect to TV. The red light was visible when unplugged from the sound bar. It works after digital Audio cable reconnected, however, when I changed to a new video clip the sound stopped so I've got to unplug it again. It works for only one video clip( I'm watching YouTube from Samsung UA55MU6100S)

You may be dealing with a known issue that is being discussed here: https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/playbar-surrounds-sub-audio-repeatedly-cutting-out-6788873

RXM is correct, looks like you're running into that issue from the other thread. I've gone ahead and created a ticket for you for tracking purposes on our end. When the issue has been resolved, we'll be emailing you to let you in on the next steps. We'll be in touch.

If anyone else has trouble with PLAYBAR not playing audio, let's use the other thread, this one. That way we can keep everything in one place.

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Having the same issue. Power cycling has not worked, optic cable is working, and changing SonosNet Channel had no effect. My diagnostic number is 7833874. Thanks.
I've flagged your account for the beta, go ahead and check for updates for the fix.

_____
I'm going to close this thread now, if anyone has this issue and finds their way here, please go to the link here.
Hello, problem is solved. We disconnected and connected power. Thanks for your help.
The same problem just reared its quiet head. I've had the Playbar for months and everything has been fine (well, except for Spotify disappearing fairly often), but tonight there was suddenly no sound on TV playback, from either of two sources (Roku and TiVo). Music plays fine. I power-cycled with no change.

Diagnostic 7028916.

Thanks very much.
Same problem here! After years of working perfectly. just bought a new TV yesterday, still not working. Will try to get a diagnostics number, but thinking there must be a fix on it's way very soon...
Hi,

I am having the same problem... We've had the playbar connected to the TV for over 6 months now and it has always worked perfectly, and tonight when we turned on the TV there was no sound at all.

The TV is a Samsung purchased in 2009.

There was a Sonos update available last weekend which I made sure to install.

On the TV, when I select the PS3 input for example, there is sound, but when I select the the input to watch TV, the playbar doesn't play any sound, other than a slight interference/light dust sound. When I select another input, that sound disappears. I unplugged it twice and it didn't solve the problem. I also checked the optical cable and there is red light coming out of it.

The playbar is mounted on the wall under the TV and hasn't been touched for months. I can't see any reason why a cable would suddenly become unplugged.

When I play music though, it works just fine.

BUT, with the TV on, if I try to play music, it switches back automatically to the TV within a second or two because it detects the slight interference sound.

Any idea what this could be???

Here is my diagnostic number: 7080330.

Thanks
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
pat_garneau

You are right to post a diagnostic... I suspect this may require a Sonos Staff member to look at the details and get back to you... I can't see what would have happened to change the playback for TV versus PS3... that makes no sense to me personally... but others here have more experience ... perhaps the Sonos Staff can see something in the logs?
Same issur here. Tried powere cycle, checked optical cable, its red. No sound from TV only when i playusic from my phone. Diagnostic # 7080997
Not having the ability to look at the diagnostic, let me make an educated guess, based on personal experience. I had a TV switch its own audio settings due to a power surge/outage in my home just after I'd moved, and before I had a chance to put it on a surge protector. Now, the information you're going to get from the Sonos folks will be more accurate, since they'll be able to look at the diagnostic, but I'd at least start by checking the audio settings on the TV, particularly since it is working for the PS3. If you get your TV signal from cable, or some other "set top box", you should check the audio output settings on that device as well. It's feasible that it is sending something other than either stereo or Dolby Digital, and the TV is passing that out to your Playbar.

Finally, you can also look in your app at "about my sonos system" in the preferences area. In the list of devices on your Sonos system, it will list your Playbar, as well as what signal it thinks it is getting through the optical cable.

Hope this helps, at least partially, while you wait for a Sonos person to look at your diagnostics, which you were indeed kind to post!
I am having similar trouble. I have three playbars connected to three TVs, two Sony Vizios and one LG. They have been working fine for about one year. However, after a recent sustained power outage at my home, the system came back up. The playbar connected to the LG works fine. The two playbars connected to the Vizios have stopped playing tv sound. They work fine playing Spotify or other music sources I select using my controller. They also work fine playing dvds from DVD players connected to each set up. I cannot get any TV sound though, whether live tv or record tv shows thru Netflix.

My diagnostic number is 7096038.

All help appreciated.
I should add that I took all the steps suggested here, e.g., checked the optical cable, power cycled the unit, etc.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I am having similar trouble. I have three playbars connected to three TVs, two Sony Vizios and one LG. They have been working fine for about one year. However, after a recent sustained power outage at my home, the system came back up. The playbar connected to the LG works fine. The two playbars connected to the Vizios have stopped playing tv sound. They work fine playing Spotify or other music sources I select using my controller. They also work fine playing dvds from DVD players connected to each set up. I cannot get any TV sound though, whether live tv or record tv shows thru Netflix.

My diagnostic number is 7096038.

All help appreciated.

While waiting for the Staff to look at your Diagnostic...

I would definitely look closely at the audio settings on the TV. I suspect they may have somehow "reset" themselves and need to be put back to ensure you are sending DD audio out the digital optical output....
Thank you, Shark. I did, but I will double check.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hey User122342 - are you still not getting any audio from the two PLAYBARs connected to each Vizio TV? From the description provided it does seem as if the Vizio TVs may not be pushing a signal out of the optical port. If both PLAYBARs work fine when wired to a DVD player, that lets us know the optical cable and the optical port on the PLAYBAR are functioning fine. To make absolutely sure, a great test would be to take the two PLAYBARs and hook them up to the LG TV as we know that setup is 100% functional.
I am having same issue diag 7218635 have rebooted tried different op cable just no tv sound
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
I am having same issue diag 7218635 have rebooted tried different op cable just no tv sound

Hey gbond - welcome to the community and for passing along the diagnostic. As a test, can you wire the optical cable to a different device, such as a cable box or a DVD/Blu-ray player to see if you then get audio?

Can you also let me know the make and model of your TV?
Hi
I think it appears to have sorted itself I ended up power all the device off for a couple of min & the problem appears to have gone away for the moment
I too am having issues with my Playbar. It streams music from Pandora fine but no sound from TV through optical cable. I checked the cable and it's lit red coming from TV. I've tried pulling the power cord, plugging another device directly to Playbar, and no luck.

Here's the Diagnostic number: 7227423

I hope you can help!
Bruce,

Thanks for your help. I went in to double check my settings and they are set properly. Still no luck.
Well, now we wait for Sonos folks to look at that diagnostic. Sorry my suggestion didn't pan out.