Option to disable SonosNet

Userlevel 2
I'd like to see the ability to disable SonosNet and use only wired ethernet, where appropriate. We've had some issues putting a zoneplayer in the equipment room, where there is very strong Zigbee and Wi-Fi Signal strength. We've had to place the zoneplayers in remote rooms and feed the line level audio back to the head end via baluns over Cat5. If those Zoneplayers could have the SonosNet disabled, we could just use ethernet, if a remotely-located bridge could convert sonosnet and transmit over the ethernet network , so long as that bridge was hardwired on the network.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

72 replies

I am not sure I understand your problem.

Sonos is already able to communicate via ethernet when wireless coverage does not suffice. To avoid conflicts with regular wifi, use another channel.
Userlevel 2
However the problem is, that even if you wire your ZPs sonosnet is active in order to receive controller signals. Thus you can get wifi issues in an appropriate environment. Changing the wifi channel may not always solve the problem...
It is true, that for certain situations there can be too much wireless interference for Sonos to function reliably via wireless.

The other way around however, where Sonos prohibits the functioning of other wireless networks would be new to me. There are three non-overlapping frequencies to stay out of the way of other equipment, and most other equipment doesn't need an uninterrupted feed. A Sonos Zoneplayer that is streaming music via Ethernet only transmits UDP Broadcasts with its status to any controllers, that will hardly pose a problem to anything, even on the same frequency.
Userlevel 2
I am living in a city zone. It is now crowded with wifi access point, and almost impossible to get a proper wifi connection without interference (playing with channels for days...).
This all lead me to connect my 3 Sonos devices through IP over Power Line (PLC).
And it works perfectly now.

Disabling Sonos network would save some power and remove some of the "wifi chaos".

Thanks.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Plain and simple request this one.

On the drop down box where you select your WiFi channel number can we have the extra option of "off" added under the channels 1, 6 and 11.

This would disable WiFi as its a pain if your local WiFi area is cluttered.

Thanks!

Mark

note: Please reply and "+1" if you agree.
Userlevel 2
+1 for disable wireless
Userlevel 2
Let me give a live example. I have a 4000 sq ft home on multiple levels. I have three Enterprise access points serving wireless connectivity. I am already using all three non-overlapping channels in the 2.4GHz spectrum. I have two ZP90 in my audio closet, both set to use channel 6. These are both generating a large amount of RF interference for my AP that is on channel 6. If I could disable the WiFi on the ZP's, I wouldn't have anymore interference. The only thing the ZP's are used for are hard wired audio into my whole house audio amp.
I would also like the option to disable Sonesnet on a per-device basis. I have a very crowded wi-fi spectrum and since adding Sonosnet on channel 11, I have observed that other APs beyond my control (ie. neighbors) have begun jamming other channels.

I am now "hogging" channels 1 (my "data" channel) and 11 (my Sonosnet channel) which is contributing to the wireless chaos of my crowded wi-fi spectrum. My PC wi-fi performance has been degraded as more neighbor's APs move to channel 1-4 trying to get away from my Sonosnet on 11.

So for those Sonos devices that I have had to wire to get them to work, it would be nice to disable the radios on them to reduce my contribution to the RF pollution.

EDIT: Today I have 30 wi-fi networks in range. Link to graphical representation of my wi-fi spectrum. On a positive note, it's amazing that my wireless Sonos nodes work as well as they do ^.
+1

I only have a single Sonos device, which is needlessly clogging up the spectrum. A simple switch would be much appreciated.
Userlevel 2
+1

And/Or - be able to specify which players can/cant speak to each other. (but thats a slightly different issue).

We have different players/bridges on different subnets. When players/bridges are in range and talk over subnets, PCs on those subnets are crossing over too - giving them incorrect IP's (if DHCP) and causing network issues.
Specifying which bridges/players can connect to each other would solve this problem - disabling sonosnet is a workaround (as we'd need to wire each player)
Userlevel 2
+1

Disabling WiFi on certain players would be neat since the house is wired with gigabit ethernet in every room.
+1

Disabling WiFi separately for each single player/room would be my favorite solution. The ability to disable it for the whole system (e.g. Wireless Channel 1/6/11/Disabled) would be good.
Can't wait for this option! Happy to go without controllers and use the desktop sonos interface instead.
Userlevel 2
This would be very useful in larger installations and most people prefer the iPad controls
Userlevel 2
+1

Well a simple +1 is too short.
Well, in addition to be able to disable SonosNet, the opposite would be nice too.

I would see also a benefit to be able to use SonosNet as a clustered network of Access Points, like I was suggesting here:

http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=24124
Userlevel 2
I'm too still waiting for this option. Why?

My new home will be equipped with GigBit-LAN in every corner and I see no point to have wifi-mesh-hotspots in every corner. The advantages are:
1) less power usage
2) more secure (at least felt )
3) no/less emissions
4) no/less interference with other wireless channels (e.g. wifi dect, gsm, etc...).

Or at least let me configure on/off timers for the wifi and/or the entire Sonos Device. No need for "burning" all that energy and spreading RF-Waves at night/the time!

THX in advance...
Userlevel 2
+1 for being able to disable WiFi.

Every room has multiple GBit Sockets (electrician called me crazy) in new house and controlling is done via iPhone/iPad.
I think that's a common setup nowadays and it is really annoying that my S5 clog up a precious WiFi channel and even waste electricity in doing so.

Has anyone yet opened the S5 and disabled the antennas?
+1 for being able to disable WiFi.

Every room has multiple GBit Sockets (electrician called me crazy) in new house and controlling is done via iPhone/iPad.
I think that's a common setup nowadays and it is really annoying that my S5 clog up a precious WiFi channel and even waste electricity in doing so.

Has anyone yet opened the S5 and disabled the antennas?

If your S5 is wired, it is not "clogging" up a wireless channel. The only way you can "clog" up wireless is to fill up the bandwidth through usage, and since it is not using the wireless, it is not "clogging" it up.
Userlevel 2
+1

I have 5 ZP90s sitting in a server rack in the basement connected through LAN, control them all through iphone/ipad. No need for sonosnet at all.
Userlevel 2
+1 for an option to disable the wireless connectivity.
Userlevel 2
+1 for disable Wireless
+1 to disable wireless from me as well

we are a sonos reseller and would appreciate the option to disable wireless when it's not needed. I sometimes have IT people blaming Sonos for their WAP woes and it would be much easier if I could just tell them 'there, I disabled all wireless'.
+1
Yes please, for energy saving and less airwave pollution
+1
Yes please, for energy saving and less airwave pollution

Less airwave pollution? As I have stated a few times in this thread, if Sonos is hardwired, it will use ethernet, and the airwave "pollution" it puts out will be negligible. It is not as if Sonos will be streaming via WiFi and ethernet simultaneously.