Answered

optical feed stuttering

• 14 July 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi, I have the optical feed stutter from my playbase.

I’ve submitted diagnostics 1070387794 in case that helps. The stutter was particularly bad just before I pressed the submit diagnostics buttton. Then it was milder during the submit. It’s settled down again since and might be like this for a few hours until it randomly starts up again.

I’ve replaced the optical cable without making any improvement. What else could be causing this? 

Thanks

Mark.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 19 July 2022, 11:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

If you’re willing to wait for a Forum Moderator (few of them) rather than calling in and talking to Sonos Support directly, it may be helpful if you were to post what device is feeding the optical signal to the PLAYBASE. It’s much more likely that there’s an issue before the signal reaches the PLAYBASE than after.  It might also help them if you were to identify what you were watching on this device that feeds the Sonos information. 

@Mark F 

As a Sonos community user like yourself, I can’t see your diagnostic report, you will likely need to speak to Sonos Customer Support HERE to get that checked.

You may get some additional help here from users, but first a couple of quick questions…

Is the Playbase bonded to surrounds, and/or Sub? Is any part of the HT/Sonos setup wired, or is everything ‘Sonos’ related using wireless?

What TV is connected and is it the TV Audio/Apps that are the issue (generally speaking) or is it devices/Apps audio from devices connected to the TV? (Any HDMI Switches etc?) 

Have you tried powering off everything yet (not standby) for a few minutes and then powering them back on again?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Mark F 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Your Playbase is reporting underflows, meaning that the stream is not arriving correctly.

Like @Ken_GriffithsI highly recommend you unplug your TV from power for a couple of minutes - this simple step fixes this kind of issue 95 times out of 100. When it doesn’t help, the next best thing to try is to replace the cable, which you’ve already done.

If it doesn’t help, I recommend testing with another device equipped with an optical output port, like a cable/satellite box or desktop PC, to see if the TV is at fault, or the Playbase.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2

I am having this problem with my Playbase. Only stuttering through my optical input (TV).

I THINK I might have solved it though by switching the optical input to ‘Compressed’. rather tan uncompressed or auto. This seems to have fixed it as I haven’t had the issue for a couple of days.

Search around in the sonos app, to find this setting/option.

There’s no detectable difference in choosing compressed. I;m an ‘uncompressed’ kind of guy if I can help it, but I can’t tell.