Question

Only Nearest Speaker Plays in Group.

• 12 September 2020
  • 19 replies

Badge

I have had two Play:1 speakers for a few years. They have worked great with no issue. I recently purchased a Sonos Move so that I could group them and use the AirPlay2 feature with the whole group. When I play any kind of sound, only the speaker nearest my phone plays. If I move my phone between rooms (in my one bedroom apartment, so not very large for three speakers) the audio changes to play on the nearest speaker after disconnecting and reconnecting AirPlay. But they don’t all play together. I have gotten two to play at once, but only for a few seconds and then one cuts out. I would think if this was a wifi issue that it would be the speaker nearest the wifi that would play regardless of where my phone is?

19 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @hannahlfritz, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. I apologize for what you’re experiencing on your Sonos speakers. For us to be able to check the status of your whole Sonos system. I’ll ask you to submit a diagnostic report for us to investigate further what could be causing this issue. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue.  

If you have other questions with your Sonos products, feel free to reach out.

The Sonos community is always here to help.

Badge

@Simon B Just submitted diagnostic through the S2 app. Confirmation number is 685519990. Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @hannahlfritz, thanks for the update and I appreciate you taking the time to submit the diagnostic report. Upon checking the report, It shows that there are Audio dropouts and Audio playback errors detected on your Sonos system. Kindly check this link about music service audio dropouts. I want to ask as well If is it happening on all types of contents? or is it on music or TV that the issue happens?

Keep me in the know with the advice above.

Badge

@Simon B  Thank you for the link. I just tried changing the channel of the Sonosnet to 6 and then to 11. When on 6, at first all three speakers played Spotify together via the S2 app. I could turn each speaker on and off in the rooms feature on the app. Then I tried to use Airplay to play something from the YouTube app. Then only the Move would play and the Play:1s stopped. When I went back to the S2 app and tried to play Spotify on all three speakers again, I could not get all three to play together again. I can get the Move to play alone, or the other two to play together, but not all three at the same time anymore. I tried changing the channel again and that didn’t help. I also tried playing from the Spotify app directly (which is my preference) and I had the same problem of only being able to play the Play:1s together and the Move separately. Any more advice? Also, can I just get confirmation that Play:1 Gen 1 speakers and the Sonos Move (recent purchase I don’t know what gen) are actually compatible? I spoke to someone at Sonos support before purchasing the Move and they said yes, but I am not seeing much online about the compatibility of the first gen models (vs. the second gen Play:1s). Thanks so much for your help!

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @hannahlfritz, thanks for the update and all the information that you provided. Upon checking on the diagnostic report. It shows that you're using a Netgear and a Ruckus Wireless. Your Sonos Move is connecting on the Ruckus Wireless and the Play One's on the Netgear, that is the reason why the speakers can't communicate well. Are you going to your the Ruckus or the Netgear for your Sonos speakers?

Let me know your thoughts with the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Badge

@Simon B Thank you so much for all of your help. I have one of the Play:1s plugged into the Ruckus with an ethernet cord. I would like all of the speakers to be on the Ruckus. I live in a guest apartment on the side of a main house. I believe the Ruckus is the extension router for my apartment and the Netgear is in the main house. When I connected them all, I connected them each to the same-named wifi network. However, I don’t know how to make sure they are all connecting to the same router. Any tips? This is starting to make more sense! Thank you.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @hannahlfritz, thanks for the quick update. About this issue. I would suggest. If It is hardwired to the Ruckus. try to reboot the Ruckus device. and then once it’s back on. reboot the Sonos speakers. then for the Sonos Moveremoveit from the base power it off for 15 seconds, then power it back on. I’ll also ask on the speakers that are hardwired, because if this won’t work, then you can try to do wireless connections to all speakers. forget the other Wifi network and connect to your preferred network. 

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Badge

@Simon B By reboot you just mean to disconnect from power and the reconnect right? I’m worried that if I factory reset the Ruckus that it will need to be reconfigured and that has been a very complicated process that we have finally gotten sorted.

Also, when you say “forget the other wifi network” - I think there is only one wifi network that I use. At least, when I connect the speakers they are all connecting to the same-named wifi network and only one shows up as an option to connect to.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @hannahlfritz, thanks for the update. On your question, a reboot is by simply disconnecting it from the power source for 1-2 minutes and replugging it back again. You don't need to do any factory reset on your network in that case If there's only one network that you're connecting to. You can forget this network on your iPhone then reconnect back to your Wifi network. 

Badge

@Simon B Ok this worked for being able to play music through the S2 app and also through the Spotify app on all speakers together. Thank you. However, I am still unable to get all speakers to play together when I want to stream the audio from a Youtube video over the speakers via Airplay. I don’t have YoutubeMusic, but I do have premium. It isn’t music I want to play, but the audio from regular youtube videos. It will play on the Move, but not on the other two speakers. They are grouped in the app and when I go into the S2 app to the Rooms tab it says they are all being asked to play. 

Thank you again so much for all of your help!

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @hannahlfritz, thanks for the update. About your question. I’d like to ask If when you’re trying to play from Youtube through Airplay, on the Sonos App, Is the Sonos Move in a group with the other speakers? You an try that to create a group where the Sonos Move is the Group coordinator and add the other speakers and try to do the Airplay again.

Badge

@Simon B I have them grouped in the Sonos app. I’m not sure how to set the Move as the Group Coordinator. Is there a specific setting for that? Currently I have turned on “Non-AirPlay Compatible products” in Settings>System>AirPlay (which iI think auto groups my Play:1s with the Move that is airplay compatible). I also have them grouped in the Rooms tab in the app (four bars icon at the bottom middle and all three rooms are checked together).

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @hannahlfritz, thanks for the quick update. When you create a group, It should start from the Sonos Move, so that it will be the main group coordinator. Kindly try that and submit a diagnostic report so that I can check If it was properly grouped, so once you try to do the Airplay and chose the Move, it will play on all speakers. because when an AirPlay-compatible Sonos product is playing AirPlay audio, you can group it with any other Sonos product in your system for multi-room playback.

Keep me in the know with the advice above.

Badge

@Simon B Ok Diagnostic confirmation is 1145777260. I deleted the group and started over with adding the Move first. Then I submitted the diagnostic while the Youtube app was trying to play to the three speakers via airplay. A bit more detail: I renamed this new group Hannah’s Speakers (different than the last name). The name that shows up in the airplay menu in the Youtube app (and other airplay services) is Hannah Room with is the name of just the Move. The group Hannah’s Speakers only shows up in the S2 app in the rooms tab as an option to select all speakers, similar to “Everywhere.” Thank you!

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @hannahlfritz, thanks for the update and on sending a diagnostic report and detailed information that you provided. Upon checking it shows that the Sonos Move is the Group coordinator now. Is it now playing on all Sonos speakers through airplay on Youtube?

Badge

@Simon B No it is still only playing on the Move. The other two speakers are checked in the S2 app so they should be playing, but they are not.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @hannahlfritz, thanks for the update. Regarding this issue. since it’s still not working after some troubleshooting steps that we did. I'll ask you to kindly contact our phone support team for further assistance and more in-depth troubleshooting steps.  

Badge

@Simon B Ok. Thank you so much for all of your help!

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @hannahlfritz, You’re welcome. Let me know how it goes after contacting our phone support team.