Question

One speaker gradually becomes out of sync with others in group

• 4 December 2016
  • 8 replies

Diagnostic 6824737.

I have two PLAY:1s (Kitchen and Family Room) and one PLAY:3 (Living Room), all of which are grouped together. Over time as content is streamed, the PLAY:3 gradually becomes out of sync with the two PLAY:1s, getting further behind as time goes on (the two PLAY:1s stay in sync with each other). If I ungroup/regroup, the PLAY:3 is initially back in sync with the others in the group; however, it gradually goes back out of sync over time.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

It sounds like something which needs Sonos to look deeper. Next time this happens, immediately submit a diagnostic and post the reference number here.
Also, see if it makes a difference which room you start with, i.e. the one whose GROUP button you hit to add the others.
It sounds like something which needs Sonos to look deeper. Next time this happens, immediately submit a diagnostic and post the reference number here.

The diagnostic referenced initially was done immediately when the issue manifested (during that session).
Also, see if it makes a difference which room you start with, i.e. the one whose GROUP button you hit to add the others.

The order of grouping does not seem to matter.

Upon further experimenting, the issue only appears to manifest whenever all three speakers (mentioned in the first post) are in a group. I.e., if the PLAY:3 is grouped with only one PLAY:1, the delay does not occur; however, if it is grouped with both of the PLAY:1s then the delay occurs.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi mateo333, welcome to the community. May I ask you to try a few tests? It's looks like there is a fault on one of your players which is affecting the rest when grouped.

First, please test grouping the two PLAY:1s together without the PLAY:3. Do this by clicking 'group' next to Family Room and then ticking Kitchen to add that to the group. This makes the Family Room the group leader. Play some music on this group for a few hours, or more if you can, then post back here with a new diagnostic number and tell us if it sounded like you heard audio drift.

Try the same test with the PLAY:3 Living Room being the group leader to the Family Room. Just as before, play music for several hours if possible, then send another diagnostic.
Thanks, Tom B.

I conducted several tests as described below. Note that I waited at least an hour for sound drift to occur, and that when drift did occur it became noticeable within minutes.

Test #1
Group Leader: Family Room
Grouped Speaker(s): Kitchen
Sound Drift? N
Diagnostic: 6838101

Test #2
Group Leader: Living Room
Grouped Speaker(s): Family Room
Sound Drift? N
Diagnostic: 6838467

Test #3
Grouped Speaker(s): Kitchen
Sound Drift? N
Diagnostic: 6838842

Test #4
Grouped Speaker(s): Kitchen, Family Room
Sound Drift? N
Diagnostic: 6839183

Test #5
Group Leader: Family Room
Grouped Speaker(s): Kitchen, Living Room
Sound Drift? Y
Diagnostic: 6839605

Test #6
Group Leader: Kitchen
Grouped Speaker(s): Living Room, Family Room
Sound Drift? Y
Diagnostic: 6839910
Hi mateo333, welcome to the community. May I ask you to try a few tests? It's looks like there is a fault on one of your players which is affecting the rest when grouped.

First, please test grouping the two PLAY:1s together without the PLAY:3. Do this by clicking 'group' next to Family Room and then ticking Kitchen to add that to the group. This makes the Family Room the group leader. Play some music on this group for a few hours, or more if you can, then post back here with a new diagnostic number and tell us if it sounded like you heard audio drift.

Try the same test with the PLAY:3 Living Room being the group leader to the Family Room. Just as before, play music for several hours if possible, then send another diagnostic.

Hi, Tom.

Any update on this?
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hey mateo333, I'm so sorry for the long silence on this one. We've been extra busy recently and it slipped under my radar. At the moment I'm still not 100% sure which unit is faulty. I'd like to do one final test. Could you connect both the Kitchen and Living Room speakers to your router with Ethernet cable? Leave the Family Room off for this one. Then, try a few hours of playback with the Kitchen as the group leader and send me a diagnostic afterwards. Repeat this for the Living Room as the group leader.

After we get the results of that test, I will sort out a replacement speaker for the faulty one.