Answered

One SL not connecting to wifi and a Play 1 is apparently blown

• 13 June 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

I own 2 Play 1 and 2 One SL’s.  One of my Play 1 seems to have blown out. It still plays, but it is distorted. 

One SL will not connect to wifi I get to all the steps, including hearing the chimes.  It then says it cannot connect to my system.  It is currently connected to my router with an ethernet cable.  I also get some static when it is trying to connect.  Could it be a bad speaker?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 13 June 2021, 23:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

It could be, but it’s fairly unlikely. I’d guess two things, at least initially. First, I’d suspect your router is in some state where it isn’t handing out an IP address, which is keeping the setup of the Sonos One SL to complete the setup, followed by a potential bad Ethernet cable, although that latter part may be moot until you resolve the former. And I’m not sure how or where you can get static before it is connected, unless the static is coming from other speakers. if that’s the case, I’d suspect some sort of wifi interference , and be reading the linked FAQ.

At the very least, try a reboot of the router. it’s certainly also worth trying a separate Ethernet cable.

If that doesn’t work, you may want to then submit a system diagnostic, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Userlevel 1

Thank you for your response Bruce.  I worked on trying to connect the One SL for too long finally gave up.  Today I purchased a new router.  I got everything reconnected including the One SL, it stayed connected for about 5 songs, then dropped off.  It is connected with an ethernet to the new router and still will not stay connected.  The static is still there also.

I’d definitely submit that diagnostic after getting the static, then, and call Sonos. They could likely see whatever might be causing that in the diagnostic, and give you some assistance. 

It always is a remote possibility with electronics that there’s an issue. Pretty low in the grand scheme of things, but not zero, and that should likely show up when they look at the data. 

Userlevel 1

Thank you.

Note that if there’s a physical issue, that won’t show up on a diagnostic. For instance, if you were to take a needle and poke it through the speaker surface, that wouldn’t show up on a diagnostic. The only things that would show up there are if there’s an electronic part that’s failing. But calling them and explaining will go a long way. They may even ask you for further testing, or video, who knows. I’ve never had this kind of issue on any of the many speakers I do own.