Question

One SL connects on ethernet but not wifi

• 30 July 2020
  • 5 replies

I have 2 speakers in my system -- a Play:1 and a One SL.  The Play:1 works flawlessly.  The One SL initially worked well, then after a few months, started dropping the wifi connection.  For a while, I was able to reset the speaker and get it working, but now I am unable to get the speaker to work on wifi.  I am able to get it working on ethernet, but the room I want the speaker in is NOT in the room where the router is located.  I need both speakers to be able to work via wifi.

I ran a diagnostic with the One SL wired (ethernet) and the Play:1 wireless - 392211954

And another after attempting to switch to wireless, with just the Play:1 working - 929129918

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @dan_t, Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community. Regarding your concern about your Sonos One SL not working on Wifi, I appreciate you taking the time to do some basic troubleshooting to resolve the issue. Upon checking on the diagnostic reports, I saw that the One SL is offline. And since you have tried the temporary hardwire connection I’ll ask if have you tried to do the wireless set up when the One SL is directly hardwired to the router?

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Yes, that is the procedure I used to attempt getting the One SL to switch from wired to wireless.  I've done it multiple times now, and the One SL drops out every time.  I'm thinking the speaker’s WiFi hardware has failed.  It’s only 8 months old, whereas the Play:1 has been doing great for years.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @dan_t, thanks for the update. Regarding your concern, since you tried almost all possible trouble troubleshooting steps. I'll ask you to kindly contact our phone support team for further assistance and more in-depth troubleshooting steps and also to check if it is a defective wireless chip for the Sonos One SL, because based on the diagnostics, it doesn't show a Wifi card failure for the Sonos One SL.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

It has been a crazy busy weekend, and I admit I've not had the chance to call the phone support guys yet.  However, doing a bit more research this evening, it appears the problem may be my router.  I have a Spectrum Sagemcom F@st 5260 router.  I can see the One SL is connected to the router from the router admin panel, but cannot get Sonos to recognize it. The Sonos troubleshooting guide states Sonos needs to run in wired mode with this router model.  https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4896?language=en_US .  Yet, for about 4 months, it worked fine with that router, and the Play:1 works fine still.  Is there a router setting I can change to get the speakers working in wireless mode again?

Alternatively, can I wire a Bridge or Boost to my router to run a dedicated SonosNet?  Will that solve the issue?

Depends on what the specific issue with the router is. If it’s a DHCP issue, then no, setting up your system as wired won’t help. If it’s a radio issue, it might. You don’t have to use a BRIDGE (S1 only) or a BOOST (S1 or S2) to test, you could just connect one of you non-bonded Sonos speakers to your router with a cable, and that would create a wired system. See standard and boost modes