Answered

One room dropping out again--don't know what else to do, with Diagnostic #

• 9 December 2019
  • 19 replies

Badge +2

So my system was working fine for about 8 months and then went into meltdown with 2 rooms dropping out.  Changes I’ve made:

Assigned static IP addresses to all devices.

Switched to Sonos Net instead of using Wifi.

Assigned a fixed wireless channel to my other wifi that didn’t overlap with Sonosnet.

When I went to sonos net, I removed all wifi passwords from the system.

Everything worked great for about a week or so and then, alas, the same room that had been dropping out the most did it again.  I’ll be streaming music (from my network drive), then that one room will drop out for about 15 seconds and then resume.  When it drops out, I continue to hear sound out of the other zones including the sub-woofer assigned to this zone that keeps dropping out.

I submitted a diagnostic, again.  This one is 369439457.

I’m at a loss as to what has happened.

I live in the middle of 150+ acres, no one around here with other signals. everything worked fine until this meltdown.  

I thought the meltdown had happened before because we were on wifi, switched to sonos net, but left the wifi credentials in there.  When I removed the wifi password so as not to confuse the system, everything seemed to resume ok.  Now, I again have the issue with the one room dropping out and occasionally the Sonos App having trouble connecting to the system.

Any advice?

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 9 December 2019, 20:01

You should contact Sonos support with that diagnostic, the other users here can’t see it and Sonos Staff presence is spotty. The contact page has good options, some 24x7.

Something you can do is look at your Network Matrix and see if there are any issues shown there.

Another thing is to see if you can figure out what changed.

You didn’t mention a Bridge, but if you have one hook an Ethernet to another non-surround speaker, wait a few minutes and power down the Bridge. The power supplies have a reputation for slowly failing and causing hard to find problems.

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

You should contact Sonos support with that diagnostic, the other users here can’t see it and Sonos Staff presence is spotty. The contact page has good options, some 24x7.

Something you can do is look at your Network Matrix and see if there are any issues shown there.

Another thing is to see if you can figure out what changed.

You didn’t mention a Bridge, but if you have one hook an Ethernet to another non-surround speaker, wait a few minutes and power down the Bridge. The power supplies have a reputation for slowly failing and causing hard to find problems.

Badge +2

Stanley_4:  Thanks for the note.  Sorry, I must have misunderstand an email I received from Sonos.  I thought they said to post it here but it may have been a Beta email or something.  I will check with them.

I was able to find the Network Matrix.  I’m a novice and will need to study up on what this is telling me.  I’ve attached what I can in case you or anyone else can offer advice but I understand if not.

I don’t have a Bridge.

Thanks.

Guess I can only post one pic at a time.  This is 1 of 2.

Badge +2

2 of 2

That matrix has me puzzled… please would you check in About my System that the speakers have WM:0 next to them, not WM:1.

There must be more columns to the matrix?

Also please would you tell us what you have in the kitchen and exactly what is wired to your router?

Do you have any switches or extenders?

Badge +2

That matrix has me puzzled… please would you check in About my System that the speakers have WM:0 next to them, not WM:1.

There must be more columns to the matrix?

I’m really sorry, I messed up copying it on the first try.  I’ve attached an updated one that should show everything if this works out better.

Confirmed, all speakers show WM:0.

Badge +2

Also please would you tell us what you have in the kitchen and exactly what is wired to your router?

In the Kitchen, I have a Connect One that runs to two in-ceiling speakers.  I also have a Sonos Sub paired with the Connect.

What I had wired directly to the router was the Player in the Attic.  That was the more recent change and it worked until it did not recently.  As of this morning, I disconnected that and instead tried feeding the Connect in the kitchen directly to a Switch on the 1st floor that connects to the router.

All of the first floor connects are in a media closet so I decided I’d try through the switch where most of the equipment is located. 

I did trade emails with Sonos when this first started and I checked the multicasting on the swteich to be correct but I’m happy to check something there again if needed.

So far this morning it has not dropped out in the “office” but I haven’t played in the kitchen yet as I can’t hear from here in the house.  Will test more tonight.

Badge +2

Sorry, I missed part of your question.

I do have one UniFi switch.

We have 3 Unifi access points and I changed the channels on those to avoid the Sonos Net.  N

OK.  The switch connected to the router is acting as the root of the Sonos mesh, but that’s OK.

Do you mean Connect:Amps rather than Connects?  Or do you have Connects and amplifiers?  Which rooms are the these on the first floor?

Where is the Office that seems problematic? (There is a bit of wireless interference here.)

Where is the router located, and where is the switch that is wired to it please?

It’s slightly odd that every Sonos device connects all the way back to the Kitchen, although STP will always favour a single ‘hop’, all other things being equal.  And the signals seem reasonably strong.

Is there any scope to wire a Sonos device directly to the router?

Badge +2

OK.  The switch connected to the router is acting as the root of the Sonos mesh, but that’s OK.

Do you mean Connect:Amps rather than Connects?  Or do you have Connects and amplifiers?  Which rooms are the these on the first floor?

Where is the Office that seems problematic? (There is a bit of wireless interference here.)

Where is the router located, and where is the switch that is wired to it please?

It’s slightly odd that every Sonos device connects all the way back to the Kitchen, although STP will always favour a single ‘hop’, all other things being equal.  And the signals seem reasonably strong.

Is there any scope to wire a Sonos device directly to the router?

Thanks for the note.

Again, I’m sorry for me confusing terminology.

Yes, everything I have is Connect: Amps except the one noted as “Den” is a Connect that is connected to a third party amplifier.  Otherwise, I have no amplifiers.

The office is on the first floor of the house as is the kitchen (I just can’t hear the kitchen from the office if both playing in a zone).  

The router is necessarily/unfortunately located in the attic.

The switch is on the first floor roughly between the kitchen and the office in a closet.

There are four wireless access points if that matters.  One on the 1st floor.  One outside on rear patio.  Two on the 2nd floor (one on each wing) and not one in the attic.

The third party router is not handling wifi (turned off).

All devices are in the closet (for the Connects) but the players and the paired subs are on their own of course.

I did have the attic Playbar connected directly to the router when it failed recently.  Sorry, I don’t think there is a scope now to run anything on the first floor directly to the router.  I would have to check with my wiring guy to confirm.

Was connecting the play bar not the same as doing one of the Connect Amps?

If this matters, at present the kitchen is the only one connected by ethernet.  Not sure if that drives which one it connects to.

Should I be worried about the orange in that report? 

The kitchen column is the only one with something colored all the way down.  Not sure if that’s because it’s by ethernet and the others aren’t.

Thanks.

The coloured squares show the paths in use - that is what I based my comment on that all speakers are connecting to the wired Kitchen directly, rather than via any other Sonos device. But that makes sense given that the Kitchen is fairly central. (Also the Kitchen is ‘secondary’ because wired to the switch.  Everything else is ‘tertiary’ because connecting to the Kitchen.) 

The orange in the Office indicates interference.  It doesn’t look too bad but given that you are having problems it’s worth asking if there is any other wireless system or electrical gear that might be causing this.  You can experiment by turning things off and re-running the matrix.

I would try wiring the Playbar to the router as well as keeping the Kitchen wired to the switch, as another experiment. 

Badge +2

The coloured squares show the paths in use - that is what I based my comment on that all speakers are connecting to the wired Kitchen directly, rather than via any other Sonos device. But that makes sense given that the Kitchen is fairly central. (Also the Kitchen is ‘secondary’ because wired to the switch.  Everything else is ‘tertiary’ because connecting to the Kitchen.) 

The orange in the Office indicates interference.  It doesn’t look too bad but given that you are having problems it’s worth asking if there is any other wireless system or electrical gear that might be causing this.  You can experiment by turning things off and re-running the matrix.

I would try wiring the Playbar to the router as well as keeping the Kitchen wired to the switch, as another experiment. 

Hi John.  Thanks for the advice.

So I ended up connecting the playbar back directly to the router.  Also, one by one I played around with as much as I could tonight with turning things off.  I also connected more devices by ethernet that would tie in to the switch.   You will see those showing up on the latest network matrix.

One thing I don’t understand is why the Pool shows red when it is in the same closet as much of the other equipment.  It is on a different shelf than most of the other equipment but it’s not a huge space at all.   

I'm going to have to call it a night but I will keep playing around with it.  Hopefully some of the dropouts may stop.  If you see anything else that jumps out, I’m always open to advice.  Definitely appreciate it.

Badge +2

John:  If you have time, one thing I question is why some zones apparently connect to a Tertiary node.  Shouldn’t it always prefer a Secondary one?  I may misunderstand it. 

Thanks.

Hi.  The zones labelled ‘tertiary’ aren’t connecting to a tertiary node.  They ARE tertiary nodes.

This is about the number of ‘hops’ back to the root.  For example, the wired switch is the root.  The Kitchen is a ‘secondary’ because it is a single (wired) hop to the switch. ‘Basketball’ is wireless so it CANNOT connect in a single hop to the switch or router.  It does a wireless hop over SonosNet to the Kitchen, then the wired hop to the switch.  That makes it a ‘tertiary’.

No idea about the red square.  But not necessarily a problem - it just indicates that that speaker is working hard to resist interference at that instant.  You may rerun the matrix and find it is no longer red.  If the speaker is playing fine then don’t worry about it.

Have you wired the right speaker in the Office?  It is better to wire the left speaker because that is the one that co-ordinates a stereo pair.

Hope that makes sense. 

Edit - the red square is for Pool, which appears to be wired, so that really is nothing to worry about.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

As John said don’t worry about the red Pool but it is likely that some device near it is sending out RF interference and causing the color.

Sometimes a few inches will make a big difference if you have a misbehaving device. I had a Play 3 that refused to behave and I had no RF devices anywhere close to it to blame for the problem. I ended up pulling plugs on anything close to it and re-running the Matrix. The culprit was a WD external drive - with no radio - that messed with any Sonos I sat it near but wasn’t an issue at three feet away.

If you want to fool with it, for a start just move it in different directions, as far as you can without unhooking any wires and re-try the matrix in each position.

Badge +2

Hi.  The zones labelled ‘tertiary’ aren’t connecting to a tertiary node.  They ARE tertiary nodes.

This is about the number of ‘hops’ back to the root.  For example, the wired switch is the root.  The Kitchen is a ‘secondary’ because it is a single (wired) hop to the switch. ‘Basketball’ is wireless so it CANNOT connect in a single hop to the switch or router.  It does a wireless hop over SonosNet to the Kitchen, then the wired hop to the switch.  That makes it a ‘tertiary’.

No idea about the red square.  But not necessarily a problem - it just indicates that that speaker is working hard to resist interference at that instant.  You may rerun the matrix and find it is no longer red.  If the speaker is playing fine then don’t worry about it.

Have you wired the right speaker in the Office?  It is better to wire the left speaker because that is the one that co-ordinates a stereo pair.

Hope that makes sense. 

Edit - the red square is for Pool, which appears to be wired, so that really is nothing to worry about.

John B:  I wanted to thank you for taking the time to respond and for all the info.   Same goes for Stnaley_4.  I really appreciate the helpful info.

John:  I ended up wiring both the left and right speaker in the office after your note.  I assume it doesn’t do any harm to have both connected by ethernet but maybe it’s overkill and not doing anything extra.

I’ve let my music play now for I think about 8 hours and not heard it drop out once after all of the changes.  The last time I thought I “fixed it” (before I posted all this) I think it went about a week and I was in the clear.  I’m hoping after the network matrix study and adding more ethernet connections, we’re all good.

Stanley: I’m going to follow your advice.  There is another device in that closet that unfortunately I can’t easily move (security camera hub) but I can re-shuffle some of the devices around.

Again, thanks to you both. 

Badge +2

Some folks may want to see how this ended up so I’m posting my latest version of the network matrix that I just ran.

Interestingly to me, I had at least a few green squares in the first column in an earlier post.  When I connected more devices by ethernet, I was expecting to see more green and I did not.  Not sure how important that is but it surprised me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

The more Sonos you wire the more options the Sonos mesh has for connections and the lower the load on the wireless links. I always recommend wiring everything it is easy to wire.

The matrix is a snapshot so it can be impacted by transient events like microwaving or a neighbor doing something electrically noisy. Taking a few snapshots over time can give you an interesting look at the situation.

Glad we were able to help.  I hope it stays stable now.  I can’t see any reason for it not to…. I hope that’s not tempting fate!

I can’t see any problem in wiring both Office speakers btw.