Answered

One Paly:5 gen2 in a pair "lost" after upgrade to S2

• 23 November 2020
  • 3 replies

I have 3 speakers, two Play:5 gen2 and one Play:5 gen1 and have been using them with the Sonos S1 app. The gen2 speakers are placed in the same room and configured as a stereo pair.

I have decided to “split” my system to allow the gen2 speakers to be controlled by the S2 app.

So, following the instructions, I first removed the gen1 speaker from the system using the S1 controller, I then “upgraded the S1 app to S2 (all system settings should then stay as before), but when I started the S2 app the stereo pair showed as Vardagsrum (V+?) (translated = Livingroom (L+?) ) and only the left speaker was still connected and able to play sound.

I have unplugged the gen1 speaker from power to avoid any interference.

I first tried to add the lost speaker (S2 app on iPhone iOS 14.2 and Bluetooth) but the app was not able to detect the speaker. According to the instructions given by the app (when speaker cannot be found) the speaker has to be reset if it has been used/installed in another system before, so I did so.

No improvement, speaker can still not be identified by the S2 app.

Next was to connect the speaker via ethernet cable. I did so, and then the speaker was instantly identified. SW upgrade was automatically initiated and I was then able to install it in the system and pair it with the othe speaker.

BUT, when unplugging the ethernet cable, the speaker is “lost” again and it is also not detectable by the S2 controller (via Bluetooth).

What to do?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 23 November 2020, 14:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Ah sorry to hear it’s broken, but good to hear a replacement will be with you soon.👍

Thanks Ken!

I followed you advice.

Diagnostics identified malfunctioning wifi. I can’t understand how it was abble to function with the S1 App, but it does not matter now. 

Replacement speaker is now on its way to me.

I would cable the speaker that’s currently missing and get it working and showing in the App and then submit a System Diagnostic to Sonos and post it’s reference back here. Then contact Sonos Customer Care via this LINK and see what they say.