Answered

One of my speakers has stopped working


Set up my system yesterday with a bridge and 3 play 1 speakers - all fine and dandy. This afternoon one of the speakers ( furthest one from the bridge ) has stopped working

18 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Hi Nick,

When you say stopped working, I'm assuming you mean the speaker is no longer listed on your Sonos controllers?  How far is this speaker from the BRIDGE?  Typical range is between 50-75 feet but it can vary greatly in different enviroments.  

If you think distance may be an issue, I suggest bringing the speaker closer to see if it shows up on your controller.  You don't need to press any buttons on it since it has already been setup, just simply plug it into power and allow a minute or two for it to boot up fully.  It should show up on your controllers once again if it is working properly. 

If you still don't see the speaker when it's closer, please submit a diagnostics report and reply here with the confirmation.  I'll be able to take a look at the signal strength between your devices to determine if distance is an issue.  

Thanks,
Azur
Thanks Azur. The speaker was listed on the controller but wasn't working....
It's working again now but I can't understand why this should have happened. Bit worried in case it's a recurring problem
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Hi Nick,

I'm glad to hear that it's working!

What were you trying to play through this speaker when you had issues?  Was the working speaker able to play the same music that you had issues with?  

I still urge you to submit a diagnostics so I can take a look to make sure there are no glaring problems.  Make sure to reply here with the confirmation number.

Thanks!
Hi, I was trying to play something via spotify. I also tried the radio but still had no joy. The 2 other speakers were working fine. I originally set it up on the wifes ipad but am also now operating via our pc - could this be causing issues? I'll try to submit a diagnostics but am a bit of a pleb so don't hold your breath. If I had the sonos app open on both the ipad and pc could this have caused some sort of conflict?
just sent diagnostics. confirmation no. 3571026
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Great, thanks for the diagnostics!  

Which speaker were you having the issue with?  I see the one named Portable is quite far away.  It's signal is at the lowest point.  If it the signal drops any further, the speaker may not respond to commands, or completely drop from the controller.  While the Portable speaker is relatively OK in it's current location, I would be more comfortable if it was a bit closer so we can increase it's signal strength to your BRIDGE.  If that's not possible, that's OK for now.

I also see that the BRIDGE is showing a bit of interference, nothing major.  If the BRIDGE is sitting right on top of your router, or within inches, I suggest moving it as far as the Ethernet cable allows.  The same goes for any other wireless devices around it.  

I would also suggest changing the wireless channel that Sonos is operating on as that often clears up most of the interference.  Change the channel from 1 to 11.  

Using your Sonos Desktop Controller for PC - select Manage -> Settings -> Advanced and you'll be able to change the channel there.

Once you've done that, you should be good to go.  However, if you don't mind, submit another diagnostics 5-10 minutes after you've changed the channel to 11 and let me know the confirmation number so I can make sure things look good on channel 11 as well. 

To answer your question, running the controller on multiple devices (your iPad and PC) should have no impact on controlling Sonos.  As a matter of fact, you can control Sonos with up to 32 different devices simultaneously. 

Thanks,
Azur
Submitted diagnostics ref 3573174
Bit weird as the portable speaker is closest to the bridge. Think it's dining room2 that was having the problems
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Hi Nick,

I think this is starting to make sense.  Seeing as Sonos is a 'mesh' network, all the units have the ability to connect to each other.  The Portable speaker is the only one that is able to connect back to the BRIDGE as it's the only one within range.  DiningRoom and DiningRoom2 are piggy backing off of Portable's connection.

Because the Portable connection was poor, the units may have become unresponsive whenever the signal dropped any further as they depend on the Portable's connection to the BRIDGE to operate.  

That being said, the signal has improved on channel 11.  To give you some numbers, the lowest signal strength Sonos can talk over is about 18-20.  In your previous diagnostics, the Portable had a signal of 20 to the BRIDGE.  Now that we've changed the channel to 11, it's signal is around 25, which is much better.  

I think you should be OK now.  However, if the problem does return, it's likely related to the distance between the Portable unit and the BRIDGE.  At that point I would suggest trying channel 6, and possibly moving the Portable speaker closer to the BRIDGE, even a foot or two can help tremendously. 

As always, please let us know if you have any further issues or there is anything else we can help with!

Thanks,
Azur
Thanks for your help
My speakers have been working just fine for months, but now one is not working and the white light is gone. Where do I go to Submit System Diagnostics or fix myself.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
BellaPosh wrote:

My speakers have been working just fine for months, but now one is not working and the white light is gone. Where do I go to Submit System Diagnostics or fix myself.



Hi BellaPosh,

Please make sure that your speaker's power cord is fully inserted. Also, try plugging it in to a different power outlet. If you are still not seeing a light on your speaker, please reach out to our phone team, you can find the number and hours here.
Hi, this thread seems to match my problem but none of the answers specifically address it. I've been using two Play 1 speakers for a couple months with no issues but now one of them has stopped working. Solid white light is on. I've tried reconnecting multiple times and unplugging the network along with both speakers to no avail. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
colio87 wrote:

Hi, this thread seems to match my problem but none of the answers specifically address it. I've been using two Play 1 speakers for a couple months with no issues but now one of them has stopped working. Solid white light is on. I've tried reconnecting multiple times and unplugging the network along with both speakers to no avail. Any suggestions would be appreciated!



Hi Colio87,

Usually this kind of behavior is caused by wireless interference or a networking issue. Please start by rebooting your router. This should ensure that a network address is assigned to both of your Sonos speakers. If that doesn't help, you can try changing the Sonos wireless channel, here's how.

If your Sonos system is fully wireless you won't have the option to change its wireless channel. If this is the case, please send in a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number, here's how.
Hi Jeff, thank you for your reply. I've tried restarting the modem and router as well as changing the wireless channel to 6 but one of the speakers is still not playing. Solid white light at rest and flashing orange when play/pause button is pressed. I submitted a diagnostics report: 5608249.
Jeff S wrote:

colio87 wrote:

Hi, this thread seems to match my problem but none of the answers specifically address it. I've been using two Play 1 speakers for a couple months with no issues but now one of them has stopped working. Solid white light is on. I've tried reconnecting multiple times and unplugging the network along with both speakers to no avail. Any suggestions would be appreciated!



Hi Colio87,

Usually this kind of behavior is caused by wireless interference or a networking issue. Please start by rebooting your router. This should ensure that a network address is assigned to both of your Sonos speakers. If that doesn't help, you can try changing the Sonos wireless channel, here's how.

If your Sonos system is fully wireless you won't have the option to change its wireless channel. If this is the case, please send in a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number, here's how.



Well I feel dumb - looks like the speakers came ungrouped. Seems to be working now, sorry to bother you unnecessarily!
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
colio87 wrote:

Jeff S wrote:

colio87 wrote:

Hi, this thread seems to match my problem but none of the answers specifically address it. I've been using two Play 1 speakers for a couple months with no issues but now one of them has stopped working. Solid white light is on. I've tried reconnecting multiple times and unplugging the network along with both speakers to no avail. Any suggestions would be appreciated!



Hi Colio87,

Usually this kind of behavior is caused by wireless interference or a networking issue. Please start by rebooting your router. This should ensure that a network address is assigned to both of your Sonos speakers. If that doesn't help, you can try changing the Sonos wireless channel, here's how.

If your Sonos system is fully wireless you won't have the option to change its wireless channel. If this is the case, please send in a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number, here's how.



Well I feel dumb - looks like the speakers came ungrouped. Seems to be working now, sorry to bother you unnecessarily!


.
I'm happy to hear that your system is working. Please let me know if you run into any other issues.
Hi, my bathroom speakers have stopped working on my sonos, they would work under the Lounge Option but now they seem to have stopped working on this option for some reason and do not come up in another option. I have sent a diagnostic test off so hopefully someone may be able to tell me what the issue is? many thanks
Badge +1
View Barn wrote:

Hi, my bathroom speakers have stopped working on my sonos, they would work under the Lounge Option but now they seem to have stopped working on this option for some reason and do not come up in another option. I have sent a diagnostic test off so hopefully someone may be able to tell me what the issue is? many thanks



Hello View Barn and thanks for the post. We'd like to get a closer look at your system to see if we can determine whats happening. When you sent the diagnostic to us you should have received a confirmation number. Let us know what that number is, or send another diagnostic our way anytime and let us know the confirmation number.

Reply

    • :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)