Answered

Older Sonos Play:1's cut out end of spotify songs, yet the newer ones don't when grouped

• 27 November 2020
  • 10 replies

We’ve been long time Sonos users, and have 4 Play:1s throughout the house. We originally had a Bridge to tie the SonosNet to the wired network, but since S2 came out, we ditched the bridge. Rather than getting a Boost, we had one (and now two) of the Play:1s connected via ethernet, with the two others connected via SonosNet (not standard wifi). 

We’ve been experiencing songs getting cut off with playing through Spotify (or sometimes even from the phone), and today we just noticed that even when grouped, not all the speakers would cut out. So I did a little digging. The players that cut out were the ones with SeriesID A101 (HW Version 1.8.3.7-1.0) and the ones that kept playing were A200 (HW Version 1.20.1.6-1.1) 

The network matrix has all the devices in the green, but the grid boxes are all yellow. 

We considered getting a Boost, but I’m not sure that will help. Any advice would be appreciated.

icon

Best answer by John B 27 December 2020, 23:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @srmoore.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post outlining the issue as well as the step(s) that you did, let me help and try to figure this out.

When issues like this spring up,  the more information we can gather will help us resolve the problem. 

• To verify there are 2 Play:1s wired using an ethernet cable, are both players connected directly to the router?
  • Which room(s)/player(s) is experiencing the issue?
  • When did you notice the issue started?
  • Was there any change made to the network or Sonos system recently?
  • To check if there’s a known issue, can you provide us the make and model number of any wireless router and/or Access Point that exist on the network?

Kindly reproduce the issue, then submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app shortly after the issue occurs, and reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system as well as the status of the devices, it will help in identifying what's possibly causing the issue.

You may check this article that provides common fixes for audio interruptions while playing from a music service on Sonos.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions feel free to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Hello, I’ve finally been able to reproduce and get a diagnostic submitted.

Diagnostics Conf # 1309133874

There are two (out of 4) Play:1s wired to an ethernet switch.

The ‘Bedroom’ is the play one that most often has music being played from spotify where songs will just cut out at the end of the song. This happens even when paired with the ‘Kitchen’ speaker, which won’t cut out. 

This first happened months ago, and we’ve since changed our WiFi environment to reduce interference in the area (Used to run with 2 APs, and have since replaced this with a single Ubiquiti NanoHD AP

The only major change has been removal of the Bridge (when S2 became available) In order to see if we could improve things, the ‘Blue Room’ speaker was connected via Ethernet, rather than SonosNet

The network switch is a Ubiqiti USW-Lite-16-PoE, which has been set up to use STP with a priority of 4096. The router to the internet is a Ubiqiti UDM Pro. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @srmoore.

Thanks for your response and effort in submitting the diagnostic.

Upon checking the diagnostic report, large sync errors that indicate audio dropouts were detected on your system.

Audio interruptions are often caused by interference and you may refer to this article that will help you reduce wireless interference around your Sonos products. 

If that doesn’t help, then knowing how and through what Sonos is connecting is the great foundation to troubleshooting this successfully. It would be best if you can give us a call and work with a technician live, they'll start by checking your system health and go from there. They have resources available for advanced troubleshooting, and the tools our agents can use would be very useful in this case, there can be an advantage if they need to remote into the controller to see what's going on.

If you have any questions,  feel free to reach out.

I very much doubt that this has anything to do with the speakers themselves or the Sonos system as a whole.  Of course, I cannot be sure of that.  An interesting experiment would be to temporarily swap a speaker that is currently experiencing a problem with one that isn’t.  Does the problem move with the speaker or stay with the location?

I very much doubt that this has anything to do with the speakers themselves or the Sonos system as a whole.  Of course, I cannot be sure of that.  An interesting experiment would be to temporarily swap a speaker that is currently experiencing a problem with one that isn’t.  Does the problem move with the speaker or stay with the location?

I’ve swapped the location of the two speakers (Kitchen and Bedroom) and unfortunately, the cut out follows the speaker. I’ve also added a Boost to the system and it hasn’t helped. 

I have created another diagnostics report 1163984254, but I’ll most likely give a call to support tomorrow.

Well that's all useful info. 

One more experiment... does it make any difference whether you start the group from a Play:1 or from a One? The first speaker acts as 'group coordinator ' and this can make a difference to performance.  I'm not really expecting any great difference but it's a quick and easy experiment. 

One more experiment... does it make any difference whether you start the group from a Play:1 or from a One? The first speaker acts as 'group coordinator ' and this can make a difference to performance.  I'm not really expecting any great difference but it's a quick and easy experiment. 

Doesn’t seem to be any difference. They are both technically Play:1s just one is a newer revision, vs an older revision

Doesn’t seem to be any difference. They are both technically Play:1s just one is a newer revision, vs an older revision

There is only one version of the Play:1.  The Sonos One is a different speaker, so my best guess is that that is what you are referring to.  Not that that is relevant to your problem - the speakers can all be used within the same system..

Edit - OK, I expect you are referring to the hardware version you mentioned earlier - my mis-read.

Yep, hardware versions. I was able to ‘fix’ the problem by re-arranging all the speakers in the house, and having the older A101s either ethernet connected or very near the boost. My guess is the older design is just more susceptible to interference than the newer versions. (Well… fingers crossed as is _seems_ to be working now, only time will tell.)

It's quite possible that the newer ones have better radios. There was a memory upgrade at some point, I believe, although not particularly publicised at the time. It's quite possible the radios got upgraded too.

I hope it continues to work.

Make sure the SonosNet wireless channel is well separated from your router's