old wired Sonos not working even after buying boostp

Userlevel 2
Badge

W

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

36 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Have an outdated wired system not working. Bought a boost and connected but still not working.

If the device is already wired, how were you hoping the Boost would help? You probably need to tell us more about your setup and problems.

I see no Boost. I do however see a Bridge.

I also see the potential for plenty of interference from adjacent digital devices, and the possibility of overheating due to stacking and poor air circulation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

A Bridge is antique and doesn’t support modern Sonos devices well, even worse they often see hard to diagnose problems, usually caused by the power supply.

Userlevel 2
Badge

The system worked perfectly for 12 years until two weeks ago. The system is wired with ceiling speakers around the house. Looks like whole system needs to be replaced or can i change something to get it running again? What does the Boost replace? Its not doing anything so thinking of sending it back?

@brianc, you have a Bridge, that is the older model. The Boost, its successor, looks like this.

Ignoring the Bridge, which Sonos devices are wired to the network?  The ZP90/Connect (?) at the top of the stack isn’t. Are the ZP120/Connect:Amps below wired? 

If the system simply stopped working it could just be a bad cable or connection.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Allwired and connected

Userlevel 2
Badge

They’re not all wired. The Connect/ZP90 isn’t. I was asking about the Connect:Amp/ZP120s underneath.

There is a Bridge in an earlier picture, perched on a PC. Now we have a Boost, wired to a router perched on a printer.

Is the Bridge still connected anywhere?

When you added the Boost did you have any of the Connect:Amps wired to the network, albeit temporarily? 

We’re trying to help, but photos of disorderly equipment with scant accompanying comment doesn’t give us much to work from.

Userlevel 2
Badge

The two connect amps are wired to two rooms.

i disconnected the bridge from power and router and connected boost just to see if it changed anything which it didn’t. I can reconnect the bridge but again didn’t do anything when connected.

Both amps are still connected. Haven't touched them. Going to send photo of back of bedroom amp as example. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Userlevel 2
Badge

Lights flashing green on both amps. Also when looking at network on PC i can see bridge and now also Boost connec

They’re wired to the speakers, not to the network.

Plugging in the Boost will do nothing until it’s added to the system, and to do that you need to temporarily wire one of the players (or the Bridge if it’s still working) to the network. See https://support.sonos.com/s/article/417

Lights flashing green on both amps. 

Did you factory reset them? 

Userlevel 2
Badge

No didnt factory reset them. I can see both bridge and boost on system in Sonos app

Userlevel 2
Badge

Reset both amps and can see boost in system

Reset both amps and can see boost in system

Adding the Boost you previously created a 2nd Sonos system. Can you also see the ZP80/90?

Userlevel 2
Badge

No cannot see either

Userlevel 2
Badge

Brianc,

It very much looks like you have created a second separate Sonos Household… you should have added the Boost to your original Household that contained your Zone Players.

Its probably best to switch off your Boost and Bridge and reconnect your controller app back to the original Sonos Household that has your players in it. That’s assuming it still exists and you haven’t overwritten the original system. 

1. Power off both the Boost & Bridge.
  2. Reset the Sonos Controller App. close/re-open the App and choose to connect to the ‘existing’ system to see if the App finds your original setup and devices. Do not create a new system.
  3. If you do not see your devices/system try wiring one Zone Player to your router and try again to then connect to the ‘existing’ system.
  4. Once you do eventually see your system, you can then go onto factory reset the Boost and add it to your setup using this LINK as your guide on what you need to do to switch your Sonos system into ‘wired setup mode’ using the Boost.
  5. Personally speaking, my guess is that you will not need to use the Sonos Bridge for your setup, but perhaps see how things go for you.
  6. I would also separate out your devices, not only for ventilation, but also to reduce Wireless Interference.

Hope the above assists to get your Sonos System back up and running.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks Ken just turned off everything. Turned back on boost, connect amp and two room amps. Also deleted app and downloaded again.  Tried reconnecting all on app. Only picked up boost.  System not working still.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Got notification back on set up Sonos no longer supports this product. (Amp)

Thanks Ken just turned off everything. Turned back on boost, connect amp and two room amps. Also deleted app and downloaded again.  Tried reconnecting all on app. Only picked up boost.  System not working still.

Both Boost & Bridge need to be powered off. Then reset just the controller App. See my steps above about then connecting to the ‘existing system’. It won’t work with either the Boost, or Bridge, powered on.