Question

old Play5, new play3 - combo with sub?

• 12 December 2016
  • 4 replies

Hi!
I have an old 5 and recently rebuilt my house.
I Would like to expand my sonos system and was considering buying another 5. But then I realised that maybe I could do with a new 3 and add a sub instead, in combo with old 5?

My question is, would these work well together? On the sonos homepage, there is talk about the system working together, thus creating a dynamic where a sub allows the 3 and 5 to focus more on mid and high ranges. Is this true? Does it work in combo with older 5?
Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Just a couple of thoughts.

All the Sonos speakers (Play 1, Play 3 and Play 5) can be PAIRED to allow full stereo reproduction - the only caveat being that you cannot PAIR a Play 5 Gen 1 to a Play 5 Gen 2 (You obviously can't pair a 1 with a 3 and so on!)).

I have a pair of Play 3 in stereo and I'm pretty happy with them - the bass is pretty good though I'm sure a Sub would enhance that. From all accounts the new Play 5 are awesome in terms of their overall music performance and especially for bass. The feeling being that the Sub does most for the Play 1 and least for a Play 5.

If you bought a pair of Play 3s and Paired them as stereo and then bonded the Sub to that pair your could then GROUP that cluster of speakers with the Play 5 you have - the 5 would be in perfect synch to the Play 3s/Sub but it would play the full music range (It wouldn't use the Sub bonded to the Play 3s) - I'm sure it would sound ok but in my opinion wouldn't do anything for your stereo separation.
You'd be better off putting the 5 in a different room (kitchen say) and putting your new pair where you want to listen to music.
Hi Stuart! Thanks for quick response! Great answer. I have one more question though... The 5 new gen obviously sounds great. Could I do with two new play 5s (and move the old one, as you recommend, to another room)? Alternative being two play 3 + sub.
Thanks!!
I recommend choosing between a 5 pair and a 1 pair+ Sub - there isn't much sense in spending more for a 3 pair + Sub.

If you do a lot of moderate to low level listening, I suggest 1 pair + Sub because the Sub does more to add richness to low level sound than any play unit pair can do on its own. That setup would also go louder than a 5 pair, but the 5 pair may shade it in sound quality.
And since you have a gen 1 Play:5, in order to pair it with another Play:5, it would also have to be a gen 1. Reiterating what was said before, but it's worth repeating. 🙂