Offline system use seems no longer possible?

• 6 September 2018
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
First off, I’m aware there are numerous topics on “can I use my system offline” and I’ve scanned them but they all seem a bit dated and the final nail in the offline coffin seems to have come with a recent update.

Anyway, I’ve been a sonos customer for several years now, have like 10 speakers between two houses, yadda yadda... I also had a speaker in a school environment (think firewall, annoying login pages...) for about two years. The speaker couldn’t use any music services because the way you logged into the WiFi was through a browser pop up, and you can’t exactly open a browser on a speaker.

That was fine, I used a local library of mp3s on a laptop and that worked great for two years. When I had to update it I took it home and then brought it back because the same internet issue also prevented it from updating.

Fast forward to today. I bought a speaker to leave with the school as a gift, and upon trying to set it up I was greeted with a “no registered speakers on your account” message... after calling them, I got to essentially you need internet now no matter what now. Gone are the days of offline use apparently as you now need a “sonos account” to use anything...

I’m filing this as a question in case my long winded rant is in error and someone knows a method to use their system offline.

15 replies

Hi. You need access to the internet to set a speaker up, but that was always the case, if only to get the speaker updated. I have just disconnected my internet and Sonos played fine from my phone and NAS drive. A LAN is needed, as always, but Sonos seems to be as happy as ever to play local content without an internet connection.

Incidentally, the best solution for the situation you describe is a travel router.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Hi Did the same pulled the internet connection and worked fine came to post and saw John B reply so I thought i would go one step further. Pulled internet connection and turned off all my 6 sonos devices. Powered them up and the system was still recognised happily playing my local NAS. Is it an issue with initially registering the speaker ?
Hi Did the same pulled the internet connection and worked fine came to post and saw John B reply so I thought i would go one step further. Pulled internet connection and turned off all my 6 sonos devices. Powered them up and the system was still recognised happily playing my local NAS. Is it an issue with initially registering the speaker ?Good work - that's a thorough test! It appears the OP hasn't tried to set up because he thinks it won't work subsequently without an internet connection.
Edit - on rereading OP has tried. Don't know what the issue is but setting it up on one wifi and transferring it to another might be tricky - please see my subsequent post on travel routers.
A travel router is best in this situation. A travel router can connect to Wifi (the computer interface allows you to deal with passwords etc) and then creates its own LAN, and you set the Sonos up on this LAN. Once the LAN is up and running you don't have to maintain the internet connection for local music, but can do so. If an internet connection is needed temporarily, you can even use a mobile phone hotspot and connect the travel router to that.

I have used this setup in hotels and rented apartments on many occasions.

My Netgear travel router (model now discontinued) has a couple of other attributes I would recommend looking out for:

1. An Ethernet port, so I can run in Boost mode
2. A USB port, which takes a 64 GB flash drive, which has a shedload of music on it and is set up as my Sonos music library.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I set the speaker up on a fully functional home WiFi network, and attempted to re set it up on another WiFi. It gets on the WiFi, but the sonos app on both mobile and desktop will not allow me to use the speakers anymore because they are not “registered” with my account.
When you say 're set it up on another WiFi' what exactly do you mean? Could you say exactly what you did? On the home network, did you set it up as a new system or add to your existing system?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
When you say 're set it up on another WiFi' what exactly do you mean? Could you say exactly what you did? On the home network, did you set it up as a new system or add to your existing system?
On occasion I would bring it to my home WiFi which has a prexisting system for updating. For the most part I would create a hotspot with my phone, then factory reset the speaker, and join it to the phone for updating, then reset it again and put it back on the Old WiFi.

This time, I bought a new one, added it to my working home system, updated, then tried to put it on the one without WiFi and that’s where I got the problem.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
To answer the “op thinks it won’t work subsequently without internet”, no I’m sure it would if I could just register the speaker... but I don’t know how I would do that since I can’t just enable the speaker to access the internet on that WiFi. It requires logging in on a browser page, then it would have full access. But you can’t open a web page on a speaker so at the moment I’m stuck.
When you say 'without WiFi' do you mean without internet?

I would have expected the factory reset to have wiped the updates so I'am not sure I have got the details straight in my head yet. Probably me being thick.

How dd you enter the SSID and password of the school Wifi into Sonos? Did you connect temporarily by Ethernet?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Sorry, not sure why I put “without WiFi”... I meant without internet. The “factory reset” doesn’t wipe the updates in my experience.

I entered the WiFi login details when it asks me to choose a network during setup and then asks for a password.
Could you temporarily connect by Ethernet to school router if need be? If I understand correctly you haven't needed to previously?
What I am wondering is whether the factory reset is wiping the registration. If so then I would set up the speaker at home, which should require you to register it, NOT factory reset it, then follow the instructions on the Sonos Support website for 'change router or wifi', which involves a temporary wired connection.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
What I am wondering is whether the factory reset is wiping the registration. If so then I would set up the speaker at home, which should require you to register it, NOT factory reset it, then follow the instructions on the Sonos Support website for 'change router or wifi', which involves a temporary wired connection.

I have a spare WiFi router that I could test this theory with. I will do that when I get home.
The test sounds a good idea. I am not totally confident but please give it a go and post back.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
So I did get it to work by setting it up on a separate network that had internet then wiring it directly to my computer via the ethernet cable. Then I was able to set it up that way.