Question

• 29 September 2016
  • 4 replies

Hey, we have a bad internet connection sometimes. We have a party coming up and really cant afford for the music to keep going on & off! Please can someone tell me how we can download music to our laptop and connect it to the sonos and play it offline? I have had a look at the line-in feature but i don't think it works with the laptop? Is there any apps i can use on my phone offline that would work? I have spotify but obviously it has to have internet to work as far as i know?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

As far as I know, the only way to insulate yourself from internet hiccups is by having music that you own either on the computer, or on an external wired to the router hard disc - a NAS. In either case, Sonos can access that wirelessly even when the internet isn't working.

Perhaps a solution that needs some effort, but one that will stand you in good stead in your circumstances.
I think you are confusing your internet connection with your wifi. Your wifi is to do with communications between your router and the devices on your network and has nothing to do with the quality of your internet connection.

Sonos is designed to play music from a computer - in fact that is what it originally did, before streaming music services existed. You don't need a line-in. You just need to store music on a computer or NAS, whether by downloading it or ripping from CDs. Then you need to tell Sonos where to find the music. Here is a guide that will tell you what you need to know.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/261/~/adding-and-updating-your-music-library

You can also play music stored on your phone, but for the party I'd use music stored on a computer, and I would connect that computer to the router by Ethernet if that is physically possible.
Thanks guys, thats very helpful 🙂
Just a couple more points:

1. The reason I made the distinction between wifi and internet is that you do need a functioning router and network for Sonos to work, even for locally-stored content. But you don't need the connection to the internet for locally-stored content.

2. The local music must be music you own outright. You cannot play offline Spotify content through Sonos, for example - Spotify ensure that that stays "trapped" in the Spotify app.