Not make Sonos system visible in Spotify app

• 12 January 2017
  • 17 replies

Is it possible to only make the Sonos system only visible for the Sonos app and not show it as an speaker unit option on Spotify? The problem is that the kids starts playing their music on our system directly from Spotify when I'm listening to something else. When I updated the system I accepted to set up for the function allowing Spotify users to play directly from the Spotify app, but now I want to undo that. How can I do that?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17
How can I do that?
It's not possible to downgrade.

The problem is that the kids starts playing their music on our system directly from Spotify when I'm listening to something else.
You might consider trying to educate your kids. 😠

You might consider trying to educate your kids. :@

Or perhaps they might consider changing (or as op sees it "fixing") the code.
Userlevel 6
Badge +17
Or perhaps they might consider changing (or as op sees it "fixing") the code.
Don't try to make your problem the problem of the company whose products you bought.
Don't try to make your problem the problem of the company whose products you bought.
Small minded thinking. Companies ignore their customer's problems with their products at their own peril as we've seen with voice control. Granted I don't really think the example here is a problem but I'm not the OP and sounds like it is a legitimate issue for him or her.
Userlevel 6
Badge +17
and sounds like it is a legitimate issue for him or her.
Sure. It's his/hers issue, not Sonos's. My point exactly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Someone had asked this question a few weeks ago. I don't have Spotify so guessing ... you should be able to delete Spotify from Sonos. Then when you add back according to documentation it said that when you add Spotify in Sonos it asks you if you want to make it available to the native app.
Someone had asked this question a few weeks ago. I don't have Spotify so guessing ... you should be able to delete Spotify from Sonos. Then when you add back according to documentation it said that when you add Spotify in Sonos it asks you if you want to make it available to the native app.

Good suggestion, I just tried it and no, connect still available.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It must save that somewhere. Maybe call Sonos about how to get that option to pop up
Yeeeeaaaaahhhhh no desire to enter the triangle of phone hell, on hold for hours. Perhaps a Sonos employee could grace us with a reply here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would assume wait times have improved with the holidays over.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey guys, the Spotify App will be able to see any Sonos system on the same network that has gone through the setup step where you click "Control Sonos from Spotify", those steps are here. I know there are some cases where you don't want your Sonos showing up, but there isn't a built-in way to turn off that setting. I'll be sure to pass on some feedback that there's interest in getting a toggle or option to disable the access once it's been done.

Right now, the only way to stop Spotify Connect devices from finding your players once you've allowed the connection is either network based or by resetting your Sonos players and then not going through that step when you set them up again. Resetting your players means losing your Favorites and Playlists, so we don't usually recommend that. Network setting wise, it depends on what your router has the option for, but you could separate out the wireless networks, one for the kids with restrictions and one for everyone else. Alternatively, you could look into disabling mDNS passing in the router which will be a more complicated setup.

And yes, the wait times have improved with the holidays ending.
Just to clarify, there is no reset sequence to get rid of this other than blowing evrrything up? Removing Spotfy from Sonos app is not enough? When I authorized spotify in the sonos app it was while setting up MY account - there was no warning that it would open it up to freaking everyone with the app even when outside my network. Seems like a pretty big frickin omission when there is no way to roll it back.

I want to have visitors play to my sonos while at my place, but not after they leave.

https://m.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/5nrrmk/sonos_spotify_family_acount_wtf/
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No one not on your home network should have any access to.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
hmm... sounds like Spotify does cache where it was last sending. I wonder how you can clear so it won't keep the link. Ryan?
hmm... sounds like Spotify does cache where it was last sending. I wonder how you can clear so it won't keep the link. Ryan?

Yup there's discussion on this here also at least a month ago. Reply so far is basically too bad so sad.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Spotify Connect works no matter what network you're on. Once you've connected to a speaker, it's available for you to play to it.

Our integration is a bit more closed than that. It requires you to be on the network in order to see the speaker and connect, the same as Spotify Connect. Once that link has been made, you will continue to be able to play to that speaker if you're off the network up until that speaker has been told to play another source of music, not Spotify.

So if you have a friend play music when they're over there, and they leave the house, play some Internet Radio or something not from Spotify and they should lose access to your player.