Answered

No TV Sound With the Beam Soundbar

• 24 October 2021
  • 16 replies

My soundbar has quit working when I turn the TV on.  I have rebooted - I have changed the cables but it will not work with the TV.  I have a beam soundbar that works with my music through wifi just fine.  The TV is a TCL 55R617.  I don’t know what else to try.  

icon

Best answer by Dianerae 28 October 2021, 17:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Have you switched on CEC-control within the TV settings and set the audio-out to the TV’s Arc/eARC port, or if using the Optical Port (with the supplied adapter), that the port has been selected for the TV audio-out.

Check the TV audio-out codec is compatible to the Beam - PCM/Dolby Digital etc; and not DTS.

Also, just ensure you have ‘TV Autoplay’ switched on in the Beams ‘room’ settings in the Sonos App (in ’Settings/System’) and that the device is not muted, or that the TV/room volume is not set too low to hear the audio.

Dear Ken, thank you for the suggesstions.  I have discovered that the CEC control in the TV settings will not retain the list of devices when it is refreshed.  When refreshed the sound comes on.  But once I turn the TV off, no devices appear in the list.  I think this is a TV issue?  Your thoughts.  By the way I’ve had both the TV and the soundbar for more than two years and I had no problems until recently. 

Maybe try powering off (not standby) both the TV and the Beam for a few minutes to fully drain the power and just ensure the HDMI cable is seated correctly at each end. Also (if present) temporarily disconnect any other devices/cable TV boxes from the TV and leave those disconnected.

Now power the TV and Beam back on again and see if that resolves the issue… if it does solve it, then begin to put back the other disconnected HDMI devices (just one at a time) and see if any other device is stealing the CEC control away from the Beam - if you do find that it’s one of the other connected devices then perhaps switch off the CEC control on that ‘other’ device, via its settings (if possible).

Might also be worth checking the TV for a software update, and apply that if there is one. A hard reboot as Ken suggests (unplugging the TV from the wall for three minutes) may be necessary, especially as it sounds like the computer in the TV that controls CEC isn’t working properly. 

Thank you both for your suggestions.  I’ve tried the power suggestion and I have no other device plugged in - the tv simply will not retain the CEC device list when turned off.  I have looked at updates for the TV system and there are none currently available.  Turning to the TCL forum but would appreciate any other suggestions you might have.

Userlevel 7

Dear Ken, thank you for the suggesstions.  I have discovered that the CEC control in the TV settings will not retain the list of devices when it is refreshed.  When refreshed the sound comes on.  But once I turn the TV off, no devices appear in the list.  I think this is a TV issue?  Your thoughts.  By the way I’ve had both the TV and the soundbar for more than two years and I had no problems until recently. 

Hi @Dianerae 

If the issue seems to be related to the TV no longer retaining the CEC device list then it is one of two issues: 

The TV definitely has a firmware issue with connected CEC devices  or 

The HDMI cable is defective (so try a different one to be sure).

Last resort is to send a diagnostic to Sonos to rule out the Beam as the cause. Do so within 10 minutes of the  Beam not playing TV audio. Be sure to post the reference ID in your next post. 

Thank you for the help - can you please advise me as to how to run a diagnostic?  Diane

Here is a link:

submit a system diagnostic

And to bug you once again - you indicate I need a reference number - how do I obtain one?  I do really appreciate your help. 

At the end of the submitting a diagnostic process, it provides a reference number to you of the diagnostic submitted. 

Thank  you!  

Userlevel 7

When you run the Diagnostic (by clicking the link) a reference ID# will appear at the completion. Make note of it and copy it  into your post. You can also call Sonos Tech support for a quicker response vs waiting for a community moderator to discover it. 

Note: Looks like @Airgetlam answered your question. 😊

I have attached a brand new cable and still have the problem. I sent two diagnostic reports - the first one 1436358801 - has the sound working after I have added the device to the settings on the TV.  The second is after I turned the TV off and have no sound running through the sound bar - 1435767679.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Dianerae 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thanks for the diagnostics - they report the HDMI Broadcast being blocked, so there’s clearly something weird going on here. The only troubleshooting steps we have for this error is to isolate (disconnect) other devices. As you have no other devices connected to your TV, I can only presume that the TV has an issue.

Given all the excellent advice you’ve already followed, I can only recommend you test the Beam on another TV - if it behaves the same way, I recommend you then get in touch with our technical support team. If it behaves normally, we’ve pretty much proven that the TV is at fault. In this case, I would recommend you contact TCL.

Until you find a solution, how do the Beam and TV behave together if you use the supplied optical adaptor? I would presume without issue, though you would need to program your remote. If it’s a first-generation Beam, you won’t lose out on any sound quality.

I hope this helps.

After all the good advise I received about the Sonos Soundbar and about the TCL TV, the issue was finally resolved by the TCL support.  After doing a full system reset on the TV which is a pain and didn’t resolve anything, they had me unplug all the devices - satellite and DVD player as well as the Soundbar.  I then plugged just the sound bar back in and tried the CEC setting.  Then plugged the other two devices in and repeated the CEC step.  I did this multiple times and the TV finally understood it!  It has now retained that setting overnight.   My advise to anyone else having these issues - it is the CEC devise settings on the TV that needs to be reset.  Thank all for the helpful advise.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Dianerae 

Thank for updating this thread with your resolution!

I’m glad to hear you’ve got it working again!