Answered

No tv sound coming out of sonos speakers

I have a Sharp tv, sonos sound bar, play1’s and sub.
Tv connects to a hdmi Cat6 converter via hdmi. The cat6 connects to another cat6 hdmi converter then hdmi to the cable box.
Red light is coming out of optical cable at the end that connects to sound bar.
Sonos system plays music. But when you switch to tv input, the icon appears for tv but no sound.
icon

Best answer by Codechick 3 April 2018, 08:47

I fitzed around and have discovered that the app has the incorrect volume. If you connect an IR remote to the playbar through the app - and then use the volume - it will start to play the TV audio. Once volume is raised the app detects that the source is TV.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

I’d be willing to bet that the signal being sent through to the PLAYBAR is not a Dolby Digital signal when playing the TV source. Make sure that you’ve set all sources that are feeding the TV to Dolby Digital. Not DTS, not Dolby Digital Plus, not Neo 6. Then check the audio setting on the TV itself, and make sure that is also locked down to Dolby Digital.
I am having the same issue. I've had the same setup for years and suddenly the Playbar no longer recognizes my Samsung TV audio - which is plain Dolby Digital.
I fitzed around and have discovered that the app has the incorrect volume. If you connect an IR remote to the playbar through the app - and then use the volume - it will start to play the TV audio. Once volume is raised the app detects that the source is TV.
I checked that all setting were on Dolby digital.
I also tried pressing the volume buttons on the sound bar and still no sound. I’ve used the app before with this sound bar on another tv and sound was working fine. But that tv is long gone.
Yeah pressing the volume on the play bar did nothing for me either. Only after connecting a remote and pressing its buttons could I start to hear sound. It took enough presses to make me think the volume was at a negative number - so something about the play bar volume setting is getting very messed up when a tv connects.
Most TVs have an option to set the digital output to ‘fixed’, rather than variable, which takes the TVs volume setting out of the equation, and you end up dealing with just the volume on the Sonos.

Note that I said ‘most’. There are some that don’t.

If you can find that setting in your TV’s settings, I recommend turning it on.
I will try connecting a remote later tonight.
Also yes the settings is on Fixed.
Tks
I've noticed that it can take up to a minute or more, before the remote volume starts to affect the sound - so once you've connected the remote, you'll see the light on the playbar indicate that it is affecting the volume but nothing may happen for up to a few minutes. Once the sound comes on, it tends to stay on though there can be a lag if I've paused playback for a bit (say on Netflix).
I connect the remote to the Sonos sound bar. I see the volume increase on the app as I depress the volume button on the remote but still no sound. I’ve waited several minutes with volume up and still nothing.
I did have to press the volume up close to 20 times before I heard sound but outside of that I am out of ideas. It is frustrating!
Diagnostic confirmation 501100213

Sound bar won't play tv audio from any source. It does play music. When I set up it says there no is no audio coming from tv, but there is a rd light at end of optical cable.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi Codechick & profile_r33. Thanks for posting about this! Any lag or delay between the buttons being pressed and the actual action happening should certainly be looked at. If you are still having troubles, I'd recommend giving our support technicians a call to troubleshoot this in real time. That way we can put this issue to rest once and for all.

nigrainger: Thanks for the diagnostic report. The PLAYBAR is showing no signal in the diagnostic report. This points to a problem with either the cable (which you already checked) or the audio output settings of your TV. What are the make and model of the TV you are working with?
I just purchased a Samsung QLED smart tv and am getting no sound from a pair of Play 3 speakers in Surround Sound. TV
sound comes through on the Play Bar linked by optical cable. This is profoundly disappointing! The sound settings on my TV dont allow me to select Dolby format. What can I do
N