Answered

No surround sound with PCM 5.1

• 11 May 2022
  • 9 replies

Hello.

Arc connected with LG tv with eARC.

Atmos works great, so does Dolby Digital Plus 5.1.

But PCM 5.1 produces no surround sound.

The app is saying I am listening to Dolby Multichannel PCM 5.1.

Using netflix as the streaming service.

Isnt PCM 5.1 supposed to produce surrond sound ?

Anyone has any idea why ?

Thanks!

Cheers, T

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 12 May 2022, 04:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7

Are you streaming Netflix on another streaming device or are you using the TV’s native Netflix app?

Are you streaming Netflix on another streaming device or are you using the TV’s native Netflix app?

I am using TV’s native app.

Userlevel 7

You shouldn’t be getting multichannel PCM 5.1 from the TV’s native Netflix app. You should be getting Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby Atmos. Make sure your TV settings are set to this:

HDMI Input Audio Format: Bitstream

Digital Sound Output: Pass Through

You shouldn’t be getting multichannel PCM 5.1 from the TV’s native Netflix app. You should be getting Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby Atmos. Make sure your TV settings are set to this:

HDMI input audio format is Bitstream and sound output is Pass Through ...

Userlevel 7

Strange. What model LG TV do you have?

If you switch back to a Dolby Atmos source, do you hear audio from the surround speakers? Is the Sub audio working?

Strange. What model LG TV do you have?

If you switch back to a Dolby Atmos source, do you hear audio from the surround speakers? Is the Sub audio working?

Its a LG OLED65A13LA model.

If I switch back to Atmos, everything just works - surrounds and sub...

I think the series I am watching just does not support surround sound (Trailer Park Boys).

Can anyone check if they get PCM 5.1 when watching this ?

Userlevel 7

I think the series I am watching just does not support surround sound (Trailer Park Boys).

I just tested Trailer Park Boys. Seasons 1-7 are in Stereo PCM and seasons 8-12 are in Dolby Digital Plus 5.1. So you probably won’t hear any surround audio from the first seven seasons.

If you are getting Dolby Multichannel PCM 5.1, your TV is doing some sort of audio conversion of the original audio.

I just tested Trailer Park Boys. Seasons 1-7 are in Stereo PCM and seasons 8-12 are in Dolby Digital Plus 5.1. So you probably won’t hear any surround audio from the first seven seasons.

If you are getting Dolby Multichannel PCM 5.1, your TV is doing some sort of audio conversion of the original audio.

Thanks for all the help!