Question

No sound through beam and ones

• 14 August 2019
  • 3 replies

Everytime I turn on my tv there is no sound playing through my brand new Sonos beam and Sonos ones, I have to go through all of the steps for setting up my tv through the Sonos app all over again every single time I turn my tv off and back on just to have sound again. My TV is a Vizio E55-E1.
Any help or suggestions anyone would have would be great as this is getting very frustrating to have to do everytime. Thanks

3 replies

So, some question are in order, I think.

1) Does this happen every time you turn off the TV?
2) Are you listening to music on the Beam in between when it's working for the TV, and then not working for the TV?
3) Does it work after you've set it up, and just fail after turning off the TV and then turning it back on?
4) Are you turning off the power to either the TV set or the Beam, when you "turn it off", or are you just using the remote to turn off the TV?

Depending on the answers to those questions, there will likely be something that will come out as a more likely answer, but the first thing I'd be checking is the room settings for the Beam, and making sure that "Auto Play" is turned on for the TV input.

I'm assuming you've got the Beam connected via the HDMI-ARC port on the Vizio. Do you have CEC turned on (that's what they call it on my VIzio, but I've got a different model than you do.
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the reply, regarding your questions.

1. Yes, anytime the TV is turned off when it’s turned back on the sound doesn’t work.
  2. Only once have I played music in between.
  3. Yes, once I set it up again it’s fine, it’s only when I turn the tv off and on again that it’s not working.
  4. Just using the tv remote or power button on the tv itself to turn it off, the beam always stays on, I’m not aware of a way to turn the beam or ones off.
Also, auto play for the tv is turned on in the beam settings, yes I have the Beam connected to the ARC port, yes the CEC is on, one thing I have to do every time it set it up again is disable then re enable that setting though.

Shane
Shane.

Well, those are all the "right" answers, of course....but doesn't explain what's going on. Which befuddles me.

I've got only one suggestion, then I'm going to throw you over to Sonos....

Try unplugging your TV from the wall for 2 minutes, then plug it back in. That will force a new "handshake" of the HDMI-CEC (HDMI-ARC in our case) connection. I'm thinking there's something going on that's causing that to fail, and it may be as simple as a reset in order to fix it.

Oh, that does raise the concern about updating the firmware on your Vizio. Make sure it's up to date before your unplug the device. You want a fully new machine when it reboots after plugging it back in.

But, I'm only 60% sure that this is the correct answer. If it doesn't fix the issue for you, I'd recommend that you contact Sonos Support to discuss it.

I suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

I'm pretty sure that the issue is on the TV side, I've never heard of a situation like this on the Beam side, but it's not impossible, just low probability. If you do end up calling/texting with Sonos, you may want to first submit a system diagnostic, particularly after getting it in the "it's not making any sounds" state. That might provide them some additional information to work with....or not, since I'm not sure what it really is. But likely that they'd ask for the diagnostic anyway, might as well do it before attempting contact. Just write down the number it gives your after it is run.

Please, keep this thread updated with what works. I'm interested.