Answered

No sound on certain channels after system update today.

Userlevel 3
Hi, I received an app update today which also updated all the speakers software to v7.4 build 37244160. Since the update certain channels from my Sky HD box, such as Sky News & ITV4 take 60 secs+ for the sound to start. Other channels, BBC1 for example, the sound is present as soon as you switch to the channel. Nothing else has been changed in the setup. Any ideas before I start pulling leads. At the moment the playbar gets its optical from the TV, which has an HDMI source from the Sky box.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 4 October 2017, 18:03

Hi everyone, as of now, the fix for this issue has been added to the Sonos version 8.0 software. Please check for updates and you'll get our newest software, and new app. For more details on Sonos 8.0 check out our post here.

Thank you, everyone for testing out this in beta and helping get this all sorted out. We appreciate your patience and for working with us on this one. Have a great day, and enjoy some music! 🙂
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1877 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Seen this article posted and tweeted. Sonos saying it only impacts 500 people.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/28/16214106/sonos-playbar-audio-issue-7-4

You get the feeling this is not a priority issue for them and we might be left without 5.1 sound for a long time. Given how much stock they place in supporting older devices this is disappointing. For those of us who have invested in Sonos throughout the home to be left with a device that doesn't function as promised is disappointing. I've have to switch to PCM as the random nature of the sound kicking in isn't something I can live with. So I'm left with 2 Play:1's and a Sub which are now expensive paper weights.
I seem to be joining this club too. I have reported the issue and it seems to be a software bug. Try taking speech enhancement off. This altered mine from completely not working to a 5 second delay before kicking in. However, i have a feeling this may also be tempramental and may not actually work in the long run. Hopefully they will issue a fix soon.

Do any of you have an update or anything?
I also got this problem. and this wasn't there before the update. If i change the TV sound settings from sending out multie channel to stereo the i got sound. But this isn't a solution i didn't buy sonos 5.1 setup to only have stereo sound. So what's changed during the update and when will this befixed of can i downgrade.
I apologise unreservedly for my earlier scepticism. This really does look like an unprecedented and enormous cock up by Sonos
Badge
Tom Warren from The Verge here. I've been testing a Sonos update that fixes this. Successfully tested this morning, and Sonos tells me "We will be releasing this build today to every Sonos customer that has been impacted with the Dolby issue."
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, thanks for posting the great details and diagnostics, that helps us narrow down what you’re seeing and investigate it on our end.

We’ve been looking into some trouble affecting certain systems and I can see that some of you are experiencing it. This doesn't affect all PLAYBARs, but we're actively investigating and working to get it resolved. We’ll be putting together support tickets for you with our team, for those of you who don’t have one already. You'll be getting an email through there when it's resolved and we'll also update you here.

We do need a diagnostic to confirm what you’re experiencing. If you haven’t sent a diagnostic in yet, please do follow these steps and let us know the number.

We appreciate your patience while we get this sorted. We’ll let you know when we have more details to share.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Yes I heard that clicking sound from the surround too. Went u hear that it show there is NO audio source.
Badge
Well, I have exactly the same problem. Just updated the software and no sound whatsoever. But on netflix, it takes 60 seconds for the sound to start working!
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
This happened to my Playbar last night diagnostic 7745982. Immediately after updating the software the sound on the Playbar is no longer working via Sky or via the internal TV apps such as Netflix. The fault is with the Playbar as the internal TV speakers are working fine. I have checked the optical lead is secure and turned the mains on the Playbar on and off tonight avail. The sonos iOS controller is showing Pause Burst or Silent. If you turn thePlsybar sound up very very high the sound comes back on again but as soon as you change TV channel the sound goes off again.
I have sent a technical request to Sonos.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi, Everyone.

We are actively looking into this, and we appreciate your help.
If your Sonos PLAYBAR is experiencing audio drops and (or) no sound when watching TV please provide us with the following information.

• Whats the make/model of your TV?
  • Is your PLAYBAR wired or wirelessly connected to your network?
  • Is your PLAYBAR wired to your TV or cable box/SAT box?
  • Is the PLAYBAR experiencing issues when watching TV and(or) from a 3rd party app eg; Netflix?

Also, if you haven't already. Add a diagnostic number in your reply.
Here's an article explaining how: How to Submit Diagnostic

Once we have more information we'll keep you posted.

Thanks.
Userlevel 2
Come on Sonos...., lets have some acknowledgement!!!!! What's happening :@:@:@ All we need is an acknowledgement that the update has a bearing, and an indication of what's happening 😠
Unfortunately Sonos has known about this issue for awhile. I reported the issue with playbar audio back in late June early July while testing 7.4 beta. They acknowledged the problem then but have yet to fix the issue. The only work around at this point is to set your tv to pcm out which is completely unsatisfactory for a $2000 surrond system to not process Dolby digital. I understood the risk of testing beta but for sonos to acknowledge the problem and still release it to the public is not a company I will continue to do bussiness with. I find it somewhat suspicious that the problem is isolated to the playbar only. The new playbase does not appear to have this issue. Seems like a push to make people buy new equipment.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, I just wanted to update you all again. The team's already identified the issue and is working on a solution right now. We're going through and setting up tickets for everyone in the thread at the moment (not done with everyone yet). When the fix is ready to go we'll be emailing everyone with an incident, so you'll see that as soon as there's word, it won't be long.

In the mean time, we appreciate your patience while we get this tested and sorted out.
Same here. I was part of beta, but it was giving me a number of audio dropouts from external comcast and internal TV apps (netflix, youtube, etc). I had a trouble ticket, but it was not resolved. I left the beta and downgraded to 7.3. All was great. No issues and all sources and TV apps worked with no dropouts or hesitations. It was determined to be a decoding issue with the SONOS Playbar software. Clearly true since 7.3 completely fixed the issue. Now I was forced to update to 7.4. Dropouts and no sound occurring again and more regularly. Now even a clicking sound from surround speakers. App shows input as Silent for minutes before sound comes out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
popheart, fernandof, khaug2, Wak, 4Horns, josh_29, HoTdiGiT, bignoisebang, TomChaton, Andrewnoob, lukas101082, Chemdream, and philmusic26 are all set for the update.Go ahead and check, you should be all set.

Note for everyone: there's an update for this beta fix that just went out that will change the version type of your PLAYBAR, if you notice the version number has changed, don't worry. You can check under About Sonos to see what the build is, the new version for the PLAYBAR fix is 37245110.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Hi I have the same problem too. After software version 7.4. Talk to the technical support from sonos they said it's the source from the tv which I hardly believe. But went I turn off the sub n surround the audio is back ON.
Userlevel 2
Yes, well done guys, this is a major blunder :@:@. No sound on some TV channels since this last update. What I have found though, if on a channel where there is no sound, you can constantly hold the up volume button down, eventually the sound will come out full blast everywhere, then you can turn it down to a sensible volume and listen to it, perfect 😉... This is of course until you have to endure the same process all over again if your flicking.... Not exactly satisfactory, school boy error, winging it here releasing this one.... TV SAMSUNG UE65KS8000, PLAYBAR WIRELESS BUT OPTICAL TO TV, SEEMS TO BE ON CHANNELS WHERE SOUND IS HD QUALITY. DIAG 7749593. THINK THEY HAVE PLAYED WITH THE PARAMETERS ON THE OPTICAL IN THIS UPDATE. NOT GREAT AS THE TV AND PLAYBAR IS MOUNTED TO THE WALL, I HOPE I DONT HAVE TO RIP THE GEAR DOWN AND THROW IT IN THE BIN :(((((
Userlevel 2
Badge
Refresh your network by rebooting all network devices; router first, then hubs and switches, then Sonos, computers, printers, mobile devices, etc. Let each finish before moving on to the next.

As for reserving IP adresses, each router is different. Consult your router's manual.

Oh great, a Helpful Harold with the confident & smug "yawn" and the "just reboot your router" fix, despite not having any idea what the problem is. Weird, I've never had to reboot my router to resolve a Sonos specific issue before - and I beta test for both Linksys and Netgear. Refreshing the network didn't help....so much for that. Maybe, based on how many people are posting here....it is a new issue?
Userlevel 1
The response from Sonos to this issue has been appalling no apology and no confirmed date for rectifying the software failure. I am going to contact John Archer and post on the AV forums to get some AV media interest in this issue.

Yawn.

This happens to a few users every update because their router has crashed or rebooted and thus lost track of assigned IP adresses, resulting in duplicates. It is easily rectified by a network refresh, and ultimately curable by reseriving IP adresses in the router setup. Nothing Sonos can do about either, so unless you think "A Few Sonos Customers Have Wonky Networks!" is a click driving headline, I'd hold off on the silly name-dropping and threats.

How does ip addressing impact DD 5.1 not being present, or dropping out when accessed? I can see how Sonos could be unavailable completely following an update, but that isnt the case here. We can play music fine through Sonos, and anything as Stereo. But anything Dolby 2.0 or 5.1 seem to be giving a great many a lot of problems since the 7.4 upgrade where previously everything worked.
I'm having the same issue after the update.

TV = Samsung JU7100
Playbar and 2 Play1 set-up together via Sonos Boost. Sonos set-up wired to TV.

No sound with original TV settings of HDMI = Bitstream and Audio Out = Dolby Digital. This setting provided me w/ Dolby Digital 5.1 for everything (Netflix, Blu-Ray, Cable).

The only way I can get sound to work is changing both settings to PCM which only provides Stereo.

Same thing here after the recent upgrade. Looks like optical handshaking is messed up.
Where all senior developers and test engineers on holiday sonos? Looks like an agile sprint had to be delivered by interns or some sort of junior personnel. Diagnostics code 7754251.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The team has been working tirelessly on this as we wanted to get you all a resolution as soon as possible. There is now an update available for testing to fix this issue.

If you haven't already been added to this beta (version 7.4.1) and you'd like to test it out, we'd love your feedback. Please submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and post your confirmation number here so we can confirm you're experiencing the issue. We'll use that to apply the update too. We'll be adding this fix to a future release, but we'd like to offer everyone affected the chance to join this beta.

Update September 1st: Adding this to the main answer for visibility, I posted it as a comment below too.
Thanks everyone for your patience and helping out test this fix for us. So far, it’s going extremely well, which is a great sign.

The team is making sure there isn’t going to be any other adverse issues before wrapping this up into a full release and sending it to everyone. For now, we’re still going to be individually flagging systems. They’ll be evaluating everything next week to determine if this update is ready for prime time, we don’t yet have an official date on when it’s going to get set live.

This weekend we’re going to be a little short handed with the holiday in the US, so it may take a little while after posting here before you get added to the beta test list for the update. Feel free to post your diagnostics below and we’ll make sure to address each one as soon as we can. Our apologies for the delay and the silence in the meantime.
Userlevel 1
Seen this article posted and tweeted. Sonos saying it only impacts 500 people.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/28/16214106/sonos-playbar-audio-issue-7-4

You get the feeling this is not a priority issue for them and we might be left without 5.1 sound for a long time. Given how much stock they place in supporting older devices this is disappointing. For those of us who have invested in Sonos throughout the home to be left with a device that doesn't function as promised is disappointing. I've have to switch to PCM as the random nature of the sound kicking in isn't something I can live with. So I'm left with 2 Play:1's and a Sub which are now expensive paper weights.

That is one read of the article. My take was that Sonos had admitted 400-500 people had reported it, goodness knows how many are affected and are scratching their heads or suffering in silence waiting for a fix. Of course Sonos will play down the impact. More importantly when will the fix be here?
Userlevel 7
Badge +14
Smilja, Does the tireless defence ever get boring?
As for Sonos being unable to revert f/w, of course they can.
They can actually revert firmware if they choose to - but a far simpler and quicker solution, allowing further investigation time, would be to push a 'new' version that is simply the previous version's contents.
Maybe the timing of the update (bank holiday weekend in the UK) could be questioned as this isn't the first time issues have happened with an impending holiday.
I'm actually not affected as I'm on a beta version that's brought its own world of issues anyway. None that I can discuss though.
Userlevel 1
Unfortunately Sonos has known about this issue for awhile. I reported the issue with playbar audio back in late June early July while testing 7.4 beta. They acknowledged the problem then but have yet to fix the issue. The only work around at this point is to set your tv to pcm out which is completely unsatisfactory for a $2000 surrond system to not process Dolby digital. I understood the risk of testing beta but for sonos to acknowledge the problem and still release it to the public is not a company I will continue to do bussiness with. I find it somewhat suspicious that the problem is isolated to the playbar only. The new playbase does not appear to have this issue. Seems like a push to make people buy new equipment.

Wait, what?

Oh man, this is super disappointing. When I raised this in July they said they had never seen it before. This stings.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Let's try to keep this on point everyone, I just removed a few posts, but let's remember not to start picking fights here. Since there are so many people following the thread, let's try not to spam everyone with cross talk. Please feel free to post here if you're running into this issue and don't have a ticket made for you yet. We'll keep on making those for everyone in the thread.