Answered

No sound on certain channels after system update today.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1877 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
I appear to be experience a similar 'No Sound' Playbar problem. I have two Sonos systems in two different locations one is fine the other I am having problems with when the TV is the source via an optical cable. I have no problem when the TV is playing 'Live' TV from FreeSat or Freeview. The problem only appears to occur when the source is a streaming service such as Amazon Prime Videa, BBC iplayer or ITV hub and similar sources. I have submitted 4 diagnostics:

7770752 - Source Amazon Prime Video playing a film trailer. Playbar says source is Stereo but there is no sound from speakers

7770762 - A minute later. Source Amazon Prime Video playing a film . Playbar says source is Dolby 5.1 and everything works perfectly.

7770776 - A minute later. Source ITV Hub. Playbar says silence and no sound from playbar

7770795 - A few minutes later Source as above it was playing the same stream but the sound suddenly kicked in and soundbar reports Dolby Digital 2.0

I have powercycled everything, tried different sonos channels, checked all the connections, tried a different optical cable.

The system worked perfectly for about 2 years then stated having intermittent problems about 2 months ago. The problem is now very frequent.
Same here (diagnostic no. 7753793). Both the sound from the tv optical and xbox one optical stopped working after the update. Changed the sound settings on the tv and xbox to PCM and stereo and the sound's back but not 5.1.
Same problem here after updating yesterday. Sony TV, wired playbar connection to connect:amp, wired internet. Wired sub, 2 wireless play 1's for surround. 3 additional play 1's and a play 3 in separate rooms, wireless. No sound on select Apple TV apps (Netflix, Stan), sound fine for music and podcasts. Broadcast TV no problems. Diagnostic code 7770641. Pretty rough bug, Sonos, please fix!
Userlevel 2
Badge
Seen this article posted and tweeted. Sonos saying it only impacts 500 people.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/28/16214106/sonos-playbar-audio-issue-7-4

You get the feeling this is not a priority issue for them and we might be left without 5.1 sound for a long time. Given how much stock they place in supporting older devices this is disappointing. For those of us who have invested in Sonos throughout the home to be left with a device that doesn't function as promised is disappointing. I've have to switch to PCM as the random nature of the sound kicking in isn't something I can live with. So I'm left with 2 Play:1's and a Sub which are now expensive paper weights.
Userlevel 1
I'm a bot skeptical that of all the Playbars out there, this is only affecting 500 people. I guess I won the wrong kind of lottery...

I also get the clicking from the surrounds, and the app says the Playbar is receiving "silence". I've spent the last week saying horrible things to my AppleTV, only to find out it was a Sonos issue! The Playbar does still seem to play perfectly from my Xbox One. Must be some difference in how the AppleTV and X1 output the 5.1 signal.

You get the feeling this is not a priority issue for them and we might be left without 5.1 sound for a long time. Given how much stock they place in supporting older devices this is disappointing. For those of us who have invested in Sonos throughout the home to be left with a device that doesn't function as promised is disappointing. I've have to switch to PCM as the random nature of the sound kicking in isn't something I can live with. So I'm left with 2 Play:1's and a Sub which are now expensive paper weights.
Userlevel 1

That is one read of the article. My take was that Sonos had admitted 400-500 people had reported it, goodness knows how many are affected and are scratching their heads or suffering in silence waiting for a fix. Of course Sonos will play down the impact. More importantly when will the fix be here?
mistakes happen its how you handle them that matters.....5+days and no formal communication or fix =bad
Tell me, what is this then:

Hi everyone, thanks for posting the great details and diagnostics, that helps us narrow down what you’re seeing and investigate it on our end.

We’ve been looking into some trouble affecting certain systems and I can see that some of you are experiencing it. This doesn't affect all PLAYBARs, but we're actively investigating and working to get it resolved. We’ll be putting together support tickets for you with our team, for those of you who don’t have one already. You'll be getting an email through there when it's resolved and we'll also update you here.

We do need a diagnostic to confirm what you’re experiencing. If you haven’t sent a diagnostic in yet, please do follow these steps and let us know the number.

We appreciate your patience while we get this sorted. We’ll let you know when we have more details to share.

So, what do you expect them to do, begging forgiveness?
Userlevel 3
Badge
It all worked perfectly for me for over 2 years. I would rather lose functionality and roll back to the last working version. Is this possible?
It all worked perfectly for me for over 2 years. I would rather lose functionality and roll back to the last working version. Is this possible?

Unfortunately not.
Unfortunately, it isn't possible. Switch to PCM in the meantime.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
We now have sound problems with TV and have submitted a diagnostic since updating Sonos app to V7.4
We have no sound from terrestrial TV or any app on the TV (Samsung 46F8000) when the the TV is set to output Dolby 5:1.
If I set the TV sound output to PCM, we have sound. Our SKY Q box is connected to TV via HDMI and is NOT affected.
This is unacceptable having bought a Sonos surround sound system.
I am still within the 100 days since I bought the Sonos gear, so it may be going back!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
mistakes happen its how you handle them that matters.....5+days and no formal communication or fix =bad
Tell me, what is this then:

Hi everyone, thanks for posting the great details and diagnostics, that helps us narrow down what you’re seeing and investigate it on our end.

We’ve been looking into some trouble affecting certain systems and I can see that some of you are experiencing it. This doesn't affect all PLAYBARs, but we're actively investigating and working to get it resolved. We’ll be putting together support tickets for you with our team, for those of you who don’t have one already. You'll be getting an email through there when it's resolved and we'll also update you here.

We do need a diagnostic to confirm what you’re experiencing. If you haven’t sent a diagnostic in yet, please do follow these steps and let us know the number.

We appreciate your patience while we get this sorted. We’ll let you know when we have more details to share.

So, what do you expect them to do, begging forgiveness?
That was 3 days ago and the list of people affected continues to grow....opps we made a mistake will get back to eventually doesn't cut it.......at least not for me. If your happy with how this is being handled then respect others who are not.
Same issue as everyone else. Updated to 7.4 and now cannot get sound to smart tv apps such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, etc. diagnostic 7769751. LG OLED tv with optical cable.
Hi everyone, the same problem after last update 7.4. No sound no certain channels with 5.1 output. Diagnostic code: 7771819. Sony TV . Playbar+sub.
same problem here.
clicking sound. and I have to turn off the playbar and on again.
Sony Bravia KDL42 with PlayBar connected via optical cable. Sky Q box connected to TV. Sound from TV cuts out occasionally. Turning the Sky box/TV off and on again sorts out the issue.
Diagnostic 7771879
That was 3 days ago and the list of people affected continues to grow....opps we made a mistake will get back to eventually doesn't cut it.......at least not for me. If your happy with how this is being handled then respect others who are not.
Apologizing on an hourly basis does not remedy the situation.
@ smilja Advocating for a company that rolled out a known bug, HASN'T so far officially apologised nor offered a rough time plan for fixing this does not remedy the situation either. These are £1000+ products not a £5 chinese speaker from ebay. Your comments are a bit misplaced, just respect others as already mentioned.

Worth mentioning I own a Philips TV so not just Samsung/Lg/Sonys
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Smilja, Does the tireless defence ever get boring?
As for Sonos being unable to revert f/w, of course they can.
They can actually revert firmware if they choose to - but a far simpler and quicker solution, allowing further investigation time, would be to push a 'new' version that is simply the previous version's contents.
Maybe the timing of the update (bank holiday weekend in the UK) could be questioned as this isn't the first time issues have happened with an impending holiday.
I'm actually not affected as I'm on a beta version that's brought its own world of issues anyway. None that I can discuss though.
Happens here also. Can't submit Diagnostics, since it gives an error or timeout on: iPhone, iPad and PC (geez - screenshot attached). I have noticed, that it only happens on specific channels ... and only when I click next channel on the remote. If I click previous, it doesn't make the click sounds (very weird).

This only happens for me, when I go from a Dolby Digital channel to an HE-AAC audio channel. Often it only make 3 clicks, and the sound returns. Other times, I can have no sound for 2-3 minutes and then it returns.

TV: LG UHD UH7500 (US) / UH750V (EU) - Latest webOS version using DVB-C.
Sonos: 1 Playbar (optical), 1 SUB, 2 Play1 (surround) and 2 Play5 (which are not affected - only used for streaming radio)
Unfortunately Sonos has known about this issue for awhile. I reported the issue with playbar audio back in late June early July while testing 7.4 beta. They acknowledged the problem then but have yet to fix the issue. The only work around at this point is to set your tv to pcm out which is completely unsatisfactory for a $2000 surrond system to not process Dolby digital. I understood the risk of testing beta but for sonos to acknowledge the problem and still release it to the public is not a company I will continue to do bussiness with. I find it somewhat suspicious that the problem is isolated to the playbar only. The new playbase does not appear to have this issue. Seems like a push to make people buy new equipment.
Has anybody heard anything from Sonos yet?
Userlevel 1
I reported this issue last month in this incident (170728-000818) when I was running the beta version of 7.4. No resolution was found since I received an RMA. I sincerely hope this is fixed soon.

WOW. That is tremendously disappointing to hear. Sonos was informed of the issue and did nothing and now thousands of people are affected by this bug. Really unfortunate.... After all, isn't this what the beta testing is meant to prevent?

As frustrating as this issue is, in Sonos defense, we initially thought it was due to my refurb Soundbar. That is why I received and RMA. They had taken audio captures so they could follow up on the fix, but in the meantime I wanted an RMA thinking that was the fix after a frustrating few days trying to find the core issue.

Once I got the RMA I reverted back from the 7.4 beta to 7.3 with my own troubleshooting and found it started working. The incident was closed out thinking the RMA fixed the issue and I wrongly assumed they knew I was running beta based on all the logs and data captured.

I posted in the beta forums (although I cannot find the post now) and didn't push hard enough to bring attention to the issue.

My best guess is that they didn't follow through with root causing the issue since it appeared to be fixed.

I blame myself for not raising enough flags that it was most likely linked to the beta software. My initial comment in this thread was to alert Sonos to look at the history and the audio captures, not to condemn them. I wanted to make sure to give more context.

I am super frustrated with this issue and was in disbelief when I first bought my playbar that it wasn't working out of the box. But I also think we need to give Sonos a few days to fix this and hopefully figure out ways to improve their beta testing and reporting.

I hope the outcome of this is an improve Sonos and improved community.

[Edit] So I just saw someone else reported this to Sonos before I even had my playbar...this hurts Sonos. I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt... 😞

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/no-sound-on-certain-channels-after-system-update-today-6789926?postid=16140301
Userlevel 1
Unfortunately Sonos has known about this issue for awhile. I reported the issue with playbar audio back in late June early July while testing 7.4 beta. They acknowledged the problem then but have yet to fix the issue. The only work around at this point is to set your tv to pcm out which is completely unsatisfactory for a $2000 surrond system to not process Dolby digital. I understood the risk of testing beta but for sonos to acknowledge the problem and still release it to the public is not a company I will continue to do bussiness with. I find it somewhat suspicious that the problem is isolated to the playbar only. The new playbase does not appear to have this issue. Seems like a push to make people buy new equipment.

Wait, what?

Oh man, this is super disappointing. When I raised this in July they said they had never seen it before. This stings.
Userlevel 2
Badge

Oh man, this is super disappointing. When I raised this in July they said they had never seen it before. This stings.

Support's inability to triage this issue is incredible. 9 pages in and I'd bet they're still pushing the 7.4 update.