Answered

No sound on certain channels after system update today.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1877 replies

Diagnostic Number = 7748217
TV Model = Sony Bravia KDL - 50W829B
PLAYBAR is Wired to the TV. PLAYBAR is connected to wireless network through home router

Main issue is channels taking a long time to produce audio (if at all) and whilst waiting surround sound makes ticking noise. If it does work then there is still a 3 second delay between changing channel and then hearing audio.

Seems like this update didn't undergo such rigorous UAT... just hope Sonos are able to provide a timely fix. This is the first real issue i have had since using their products for 3 years.
Having same issue since software update, removing speech enhancement solves the issue short term but of course needs a permanent fix
Userlevel 3
Hi, details below:
Whats the make/model of your TV? Samsung UE55JU7000
Is your PLAYBAR wired or wirelessly connected to your network? PLAYBAR is wireless, other Play3 wired into router
Is your PLAYBAR wired to your TV or cable box/SAT box? PLAYBAR is wired to the TV.
Is the PLAYBAR experiencing issues when watching TV and(or) from a 3rd party app eg; Netflix? Only watching certain TV channels, switching Sky box feed from Dolby Digital to Normal solves the issue for these channels.
Diagnostic number? 7747073

Problem channels can take upto 60+ secs to produce audio if at all.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'm having the same issue after the update.

TV = Samsung JU7100
Playbar and 2 Play1 set-up together via Sonos Boost. Sonos set-up wired to TV.

No sound with original TV settings of HDMI = Bitstream and Audio Out = Dolby Digital. This setting provided me w/ Dolby Digital 5.1 for everything (Netflix, Blu-Ray, Cable).

The only way I can get sound to work is changing both settings to PCM which only provides Stereo.
Badge
Hi, Everyone.

We are actively looking into this, and we appreciate your help.
If your Sonos PLAYBAR is experiencing audio drops and (or) no sound when watching TV please provide us with the following information.

• Whats the make/model of your TV?
  • Is your PLAYBAR wired or wirelessly connected to your network?
  • Is your PLAYBAR wired to your TV or cable box/SAT box?
  • Is the PLAYBAR experiencing issues when watching TV and(or) from a 3rd party app eg; Netflix?

Also, if you haven't already. Add a diagnostic number in your reply.
Here's an article explaining how: How to Submit Diagnostic

Once we have more information we'll keep you posted.

Thanks.

TV is an LG UH661V
Playbar is setup wireless.
Playbar is plugged directly to the TV with optical cable.
No sound from any of the apps or from the tv channels, so no sound whatsoever.

Diagnostic number is 7747128.
Userlevel 1
TV - John Lewis 55JL9000 (Essentially a rebranded LG Smart TV)
My Playbar is wired connection
Optical output from TV to Soundbar
Using TV's LG App Store I have installed Plex, no sound from this. Sound stopped working immediately after update. Netflix seems ok but much more pronounced delay before sound starts.
Sky TV seems ok.

Diagnostic number 7749070
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I now have sound via Playbar but only after setting my Tv to PCM that will mean no 5.1 DD. This was the key purpose for buying 2 Sonos 5.1 set ups and buying 2 samsung TVs that did 5.1 pass through. Sonos you better fix this issue that was caused by a fault within your software upgrade. Not happy.
Userlevel 2
Yes, well done guys, this is a major blunder :@:@. No sound on some TV channels since this last update. What I have found though, if on a channel where there is no sound, you can constantly hold the up volume button down, eventually the sound will come out full blast everywhere, then you can turn it down to a sensible volume and listen to it, perfect 😉... This is of course until you have to endure the same process all over again if your flicking.... Not exactly satisfactory, school boy error, winging it here releasing this one.... TV SAMSUNG UE65KS8000, PLAYBAR WIRELESS BUT OPTICAL TO TV, SEEMS TO BE ON CHANNELS WHERE SOUND IS HD QUALITY. DIAG 7749593. THINK THEY HAVE PLAYED WITH THE PARAMETERS ON THE OPTICAL IN THIS UPDATE. NOT GREAT AS THE TV AND PLAYBAR IS MOUNTED TO THE WALL, I HOPE I DONT HAVE TO RIP THE GEAR DOWN AND THROW IT IN THE BIN :(((((
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
4882rob I tried the volume trick last night and woke up my kids it came on so loud. If Sonos can't fix this then I think they will need to be looking at some hefty compensation. Really disappointed in Sonos.
Badge
+1
Samsung KS8000, wired playbar, optical to TV (with pass-thru fine until update).
Fixed by turning off 5.1 output (to PCM), but hardly a solution. Sound would take 60+ seconds to start from apps or other sources when in 5.1.
Submitted diagnostics : 7749829
Userlevel 2
Yeah, its since this update, although I am sure they'll deny it, or if not blame something else!!!!, been through all this nonsense before......, we need to get a lot more people moaning for this to gather any remote bit of interest!!!!!!... I haven't bothered contacting yet as I haven't got the time and energy to go through the denial and failure to except there is a problem and then of course move on to a totally pointless scripted process, blau blau blau!!!!!!, only for the obvious get out which seems to be the answer to all of all the problems, there is too much wifi traffic causing your problem, change the channel!!!!!;););), well if you cant make a joke out of it ;);););)!!!!!!!!
Hi,
I'm experiencing no sound, only a clicking noise from surround speakers (PLAY:1) after the 7.4 update

1. When Night Sound and Speech enhancement are NOT activated there's a lag for about 3-5 seconds until sound start working.
  2. When either Night Sound, Speech Enhancement or both are enabled I've waited for approx. 120 seconds and still no sound.
  3. When there's "No Sound" and I disable Night Sound and Speech Enhancement then the sound comes on after 10-20 seconds.
  4. When switching audio output from TV to PCM the sound is working as before the 7.4 update.

• Whats the make/model of your TV? Samsung UE75KS8005
  • Is your PLAYBAR wired or wirelessly connected to your network? Wired
  • Is your PLAYBAR wired to your TV or cable box/SAT box? TV
  • Is the PLAYBAR experiencing issues when watching TV and(or) from a 3rd party app eg; Netflix? Issues both when watching TV and 3rd party apps that uses Dolby Digital.

Diagnostic number: 7749938

/Stefan
Yeah, its since this update, although I am sure they'll deny it, or if not blame something else!!!!, been through all this nonsense before......, we need to get a lot more people moaning for this to gather any remote bit of interest!!!!!!... I haven't bothered contacting yet as I haven't got the time and energy to go through the denial and failure to except there is a problem and then of course move on to a totally pointless scripted process, blau blau blau!!!!!!, only for the obvious get out which seems to be the answer to all of all the problems, there is too much wifi traffic causing your problem, change the channel!!!!!;););), well if you cant make a joke out of it ;);););)!!!!!!!!

Just encountered in this very thread...

Hi, Everyone.

We are actively looking into this, and we appreciate your help.
If your Sonos PLAYBAR is experiencing audio drops and (or) no sound when watching TV please provide us with the following information.

• Whats the make/model of your TV?
  • Is your PLAYBAR wired or wirelessly connected to your network?
  • Is your PLAYBAR wired to your TV or cable box/SAT box?
  • Is the PLAYBAR experiencing issues when watching TV and(or) from a 3rd party app eg; Netflix?

Also, if you haven't already. Add a diagnostic number in your reply.
Here's an article explaining how: How to Submit Diagnostic

Once we have more information we'll keep you posted.

Thanks.

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/no-sound-on-certain-channels-after-system-update-today-6789926/index1.html#post16139072
Userlevel 2
Badge
I am also seeing this issue as of the 7.4 update. Powering off/on the playbar by physically removing the cable has resolved it, at least temporarily. Roku Ultra via HDMI cable to LG OLED65B6P TV via optical cable to Playbar. Mostly noticing in the Roku Plex app, very frequently there - I have Roku set to do Dolby Digital out in audio settings. Playbar is wireless to network. Haven't seen on cable TV which is also connected to TV via HDMI like Roku. . I'm also interested in a firmware rollback, not accustomed to Sonos breaking things and this is a bad one 😞
Userlevel 1
This is soooo frustrating. Can’t watch TV......Well I can watch it but can’t hear it! For now please just roll back firmware!
I have the same issues since upgrading to 7.4 today ("click sounds" out of all speakers on certain channels). Problem is just the Sky TV channels that output Dolby Digital to the Playbar (which is generally just the HD channels from what I've seen, so non-HD TV channels still work fine).

Temporary fix for me is either of the following:

1) Change my Samsung TV sound output through the optical cable to be PCM (and not Dolby Digital). Means that I don't get the clicks, but there's a massive drop in audio quality for Sky HD channels that used to transmit DD, and now just Stereo/PCM (and means I don't get the same sort of performance out of my Play1 surround speakers).

2) Turn OFF the "speech enhancement" feature of the Playbar (as mentioned in the threads above). Couldn't initially see how to do this, but found the article here which explains it easily: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1959/~/improving-speech-clarity-and-night-time-listening-through-the-playbar-or
This works, but again you lose noticeable quality on the sound output.

I've submitted diagnostics to Sonos also ("7750147"), and if it helps I've noticed that when the clicking sound is happening on the DD channels, under "About my Sonos system" it shows the input to the Playbar as "Stereo" and not "Dolby Digital 2.0" which it shows when it's working.

Extra info: TV is Samsung UE55HU7500, directly connected to Playbar via optical cable, and all Sonos kit connected together via a Sonos Bridge.

Would love to know the next steps or an ETA on a fix from Sonos, or how to downgrade back to 7.3 when everything worked perfectly. I've been a loyal and hugely pro Sonos customer for years, but this is a poor update by the looks of things, with no new features added but a rather large bug introduced.
Samsung UN65MU8000F
Connected wirelessly
Yes it's connected
Sound issues with tv and 3rd party
Diagnostics 7750152
Userlevel 1
Whats the make/model of your TV - Samsung UE55KU6000 55-inch 4K Ultra HD Smart TV
Is your PLAYBAR wired or wirelessly connected to your network - Wireless
Is your PLAYBAR wired to your TV or cable box/SAT box - TV
Is the PLAYBAR experiencing issues when watching TV and(or) from a 3rd party app eg; Netflix - Both Cable TV, Sky, Netflix, Amazon Prime and YouTube

Diagnostic number - 7750288
Sonos, please advise.
TV Samsung MU8000
Playbar connected wirelessly
Playbar connected to TV via optical
Working fine until update, since then no sound at all when watching Plex or YouTube unless I switch TV setting from Dolby digital to PCM. Netflix working as normal

Diagnostic 7751253
I'm having the same issue after the update.

TV: Sony XBR-X850C Android tv running latest firmware
Playbar and 2 play 1's setup wirelessly with the BOOST
The playbar is plugged directly into my tv via Optical
Diagnostic 7751366

I can confirm what a previous poster mentioned about Netflix and amazon apps built into the tv and the Night Mode/speech enhancement features. I've noticed that if I disable night mode and speech enhancement and then start the video I can then enable both of those features and I don't have any issues just as long as I don't PAUSE or STOP the video after starting it. If the video is paused or stopped I have to disable the speech / night mode features, start the video again and then re-enable both of the features to continue using them because if I don't do this then I have LARGE delays on the audio starting to play like other posters have mentioned. The problems ONLY arise when I have those features enabled and then try to start a netflix / amazon movie that has 5.1 audio. If I manually switch the audio on the netflix stream to 'English' (not 5.1) the audio can play without issue with the night mode and speech enhancement features enabled. Like previous posters mentioned, if I switch my tv to use PCM, the issue is gone completely. The interesting thing is, this only seems to be an issue with Amazon/Netflix. If I launch KODI on my tv and try to play literally ANYTHING, it works without a problem with these 2 features enabled (night mode/speech enhancement). I also don't see the issue with the Android Youtube app on my tv. This is clearly a software bug... hopefully Sonos knocks this out soon because this is very very bad... QA/beta testers should have caught this in their testing before releasing this update to the masses....
Issue also happens on cable tv that isn't 5.1
Same problem after updating to 7.4: no audio at all on HD channels (or any HD content for example in Netflix)
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
The response from Sonos to this issue has been appalling no apology and no confirmed date for rectifying the software failure. I am going to contact John Archer and post on the AV forums to get some AV media interest in this issue.
Same problem here since yesterday's software update.

Tv Samsung UE49KU6100KXXU
Sound bar connected by optical cable
Surround and sub connected by wireless

Diagnostic 7753474