Answered

No sound from Port input

Just bought a Port to connect my home hi fi system to Sonos. I have a Cambridge Audio integrated amp (CXA61) connected to a turntable via a Cambridge audio Alva Duo pre-amp. The Port connects no problem to the amp via coax digital cable. The sound is great streaming from Sonos through the amp.

I was hoping to play the turntable through Sonos via the Port RCA input. I connected the Port input to the amplifier through the “Pre-Out” RCA connection. I then tried to play in Sonos via the line in. I see the three little bars playing but there is no sound from the Sonos speakers. Tried to play around with settings of the Port in Sonos app to see if that would help. No luck. Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by John B 23 May 2020, 20:58

I would consider connecting this differently.  Turntable to phono pre-amp to Connect line in.  Connect coaxial out to amp digital in.  Make sure digital input is selected on amp, and line in as the source for whichever room you want the turntable to play (including your hifi).  You can group rooms as required.

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hello @NJSpurs,

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out with your question. 

Have you adjusted the line-in level in the Sonos app?

Can you submit a diagnostic report from your app while the turntable and the Sonos Port are playing?

Please include the confirmation number in your response so that I can take a look at the playback data and settings. 

I would consider connecting this differently.  Turntable to phono pre-amp to Connect line in.  Connect coaxial out to amp digital in.  Make sure digital input is selected on amp, and line in as the source for whichever room you want the turntable to play (including your hifi).  You can group rooms as required.

Thanks, Jean, for your reply. What I found that there indeed was sound coming out, but the signal was so low to make it nearly inaudible at any volume or in any line-in setting. My hunch is that the Connect cannot amplify the preout signal enough to make it audible.

The suggestion by John B. works though! I do think the routing through digital has an effect on the sound quality, but this was inevitable anyway to get it on the Sonos system.

Thanks!

I don't believe there is any technical reason for the sound quality to diminish. Such judgements are notoriously unreliable and heavily influenced by expectations. Very small differences in volume can be perceived as differences in quality, for example. 

I suspect you are right about the preout. The Connect does no amplification at all. If your amp has a 'tape out' that might work with your original configuration. 

Glad it is working though. 

You may be right about the sound quality, so I’ll suspend judgment. I’m also breaking in some new speakers which may account for some perceived differences. In any case, thanks so much for the solution!

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

aaaaaaaand @John B beats me to it for the win!

I didn’t see any tape-out options available on this model of amplifier the Sonos Connect itself isn’t capable of amplification (or it would be the Amp/Connect:Amp) so wiring the pre-amp to the Connect Line in and using the digital out to the Amp would be the way to go.