No Sound from Play 5

• 5 November 2016
  • 40 replies

Show first post

40 replies

Thanks again, router is fairly new so should be able to lay my hands on the manual. I’ll try the other suggestion first. When you say turn everything off, Sonos included?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
yes Sonos included.
All tuned off and back on again, no sound from Sonos. I have the manual that came with the router, it’s very basic and just tells you how to set it up initially.
Just looked at a thread about the router I’m
using, a BT HH6 perhaps that is the issue. I’ll try another router.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I know the homehub 3 had problems
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
But looks like HomeHub 6 has issues of its own yea
https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/the-all-new-bt-smart-hub-hh-6-issues-6738089
I have a Play:5 with the same issue. No sound coming from the speakers. When I plug in headphones, I can hear audio and the icon in the app changes. When I unplug, no sound.

So it can not be an IP conflict if it plays audio through heads phones.

What could it be?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No that definitely sounds like some kind of hardware issue. I would call Sonos.
I lost already two Play5 gen1 with the same problem, with headphone everything works well but no sounds from the speakers. I have still 3 Play1's and 1 Playbar, who are still working. In my opinion this has nothing to do with IP, but it is a hardware problem. Any suggestions for repair (I just left the guarantee period)? Sonos Netherlands offers my an exchange for Play5 Gen2, for almost the new price. I'm very disappointed and frustrated about the repair service from Sonos. For me it's fair to pay repair costs, wich should be much cheaper then a new one (with different dimensions).
The same thing has happened to my play 5 today, had it for around 4 years.
Waiting on an email but don’t think I like the sound of what’s to come.
I must admit I’m disappointed it’s only lasted that long, I have to agree when you’re paying for a premium product you expect some longevity.
We’ll see what they say!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You can get an extended warranty on Sonos devices from a place like Square Trade that will give you multiple extra years of coverage. The Sonos warranty is a bit short for my comfort so I do that on more expensive items. The Sonos discounts if you want to replace a failed unit aren't as much as folks would wish but better than a lot of other places.

Possibly take a chance on a used unit for less money from ebay or the like> There are too many posts here with problems with used units and zero warranty coverage for that to work for me.
Had exactly same problem. I was told to make sure there were no third party wireless devices near my Play 5. In my case I had my Echo Dot very close by. I moved the Echo Dot away and the Play 5 started working properly in less than a minute. Obviously one wireless device was interfering with the other. Hope this helps.
I’ve got a pair of play 5 gen 1 and use in stereo pair for years. Really pleased with them and definitely worth using in stereo as sounds so much better then just 1 speaker. One of them stopped working - no sound at all. Not even the chime when factory resetting. Works ok through headphones. Sonos Support have offered no repair but I can buy a new Sonos 5 gen 2 for £350. Big wow. Such a miserly offer. £100 off basically. So unhappy with this. I want a stereo pair back so one gen 2 and one gen 1 is no good to me. This is pathetic - the device has obviously had a significant hardware failure and for a premium brand I would have expected it to basically work for 10 years. I don’t expect new feaures on an old speaker but it should basically work. It has no physical damage at all.
Anyone tried consumer law angle or even a diy repair.
If my only option is to spend £450 on a new gen 2 and their rubbish offer of £350 for another then I am NOT spending the £800 with Sonos to get a working stereo pair. I’ll go with another brand as I expect expensive stuff to last and I expect premium brands to look after their customers with better service.
Same issue with my Play5 Gen 1.
Not IP.
Headphone jack works, not speakers. Sent diagnostic to support, response was speaker is defective. Out of warranty, send it to them, they'll replace with Gen2 for almost price of new.

Not impressed: wont recommend Sonos to any friends who see my system. Company abandoned customers not offering any repair, possibly a simple fuse according to post in this thread.

I suspect Sonos update bricked certain versions of the Gen1 and company won't admit it.

I'll ride out life of what I have ($3000 invested), but Sonos will never get another dollar from me, and I'll tell anyone I see to avoid this proprietary walled garden. Horrible customer care! Too much money for a few good years. There's better options on the market now.