No Sound from Play 5

• 5 November 2016
  • 40 replies

I have multiple Sonos speakers. All have been working. Play 5 stopped getting sound. It has been working and still has solid white light but no sound...all other speakers are working. Tried rebooting but no change. I did update Sonos Software on computer earlier same day stopped working.

40 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Is it grouped with the other players?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sounds like an IP Address conflict. Does the Play 5 show in the settings menu? Have there been any changes by you or manufacturer updates to your router or network in general? Also, a power failure may have caused things not to re-connect on your network properly. Please post back.
Play 5 does show in settings menu. Likely not IP conflict...all other Sonos speakers working. Plugged earphones into Play5 and works with earphones but no sound via speaker.
Does the PLAY:5 continue to show the headphone symbol against the volume slider in the controller, even when the earphones are unplugged? There have been a few such reports.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I did update Sonos Software on computer earlier same day stopped working.

My Bad...I didn't catch the last part of your quote above the first time I read it.

My suggestion now (given that it all occurred when you updated the software) is to take down your Sonos WiFi or Boost setup completely, remove any stereo pairs and/or bonding and re-provision each Sonos component (Boost or Bridge first) one by one then setup any stereo pairs and/or Bonding of sub or surrounds.
No. Headphones symbol only shows when headphones are plugged in. Speaker symbol is showing and volume is up but no sound. Everything appears to be working other than no sound from speaker.
If it's consistently working with headphones then network issues can be ruled out. You'll need to talk to Sonos Support. If you wished you could try a factory reset on just that PLAY:5.

(BTW even if there was an IP conflict AjTrek1's reboot procedure is unnecessarily disruptive. There's absolutely no need whatsoever to un-pair/un-bond/re-pair/re-bond in order to refresh network address info. Moreover to do so would destroy any pre-existing Trueplay tuning.)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Still does sound like ip conflict to me. The speaker will show in app if ip conflict but won't behave properly. I would assign a new static ip adress to that speaker in your router settings. Then cut off as many wifi devices as you can. Reboot router and then turn on all wireless devices. Turn on the boost first in the order of Sonos startup. Once boost boots up only then turn on rest of Sonos units.
Agree. Thanks for the help.
Yes, an IP conflict is the automatic assumption if a player misbehaves after an update. Only the OP can confirm whether or not the headphones still work 100%, despite the PLAY:5 drivers being silent.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
(BTW even if there was an IP conflict AjTrek1's reboot procedure is unnecessarily disruptive. There's absolutely no need whatsoever to un-pair/un-bond/re-pair/re-bond in order to refresh network address info. Moreover to do so would destroy any pre-existing Trueplay tuning.)

@Ratty
It appears that Chris and the OP feel as I did in the beginning that an IP Address conflict may be the likely culprit. IMO if you want to Cleanly bring your Sonos system back on-line (due to a freak anomaly) one should do so by setting up each speaker individually then pair and bond as necessary. The process may be a bit involved but it's less drastic than a factory reset (as you suggested) which will erase any playlists previously set. As far as TruePlay settings being lost...what's 5 -10 minutes in the grand scheme of things? Just saying...

Cheers!
I only suggested a factory reset on the one player. It's clutching at straws, but sometimes can help. The OP has multiple Sonos players. Nothing will be lost so long as at least one player is not reset.

As for refreshing network address info, all that's required is a reboot. It is simply incorrect to suggest that any un-pairing/un-bonding is required. The pairing/bonding mechanism is established at a higher level, which has nothing to do with basic network connectivity.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I recently had some IP address conflicts pop up even with the reserved addresses I had. So I went in and readdressed every single Sonos unit in the very top range of my allowable addresses for a nice clean start
And all together.
i am facing the exact same issue ... any solution yet?
Sonos replaced the speaker. They agreed it was not an ip conflict.
Light! NO Sound! hardware failure.
Fix defect Play 5 Solution. I had the same issue. on my unit the fuse on location L27727 was broken. When connect it the play5 works again.
Can anyone tell me if it is a fuse? (location L27727)

I hope i help a lot of people (because replacement unit Sonos will cost about 150 euro)
Please let me know.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I have the same issue... Play 5...White light, no sound. Play/pause button works. Speaker beeps when volume buttons are pressed. Controller app shows volume increasing /decreasing. No music. Advice?
My Play 5 only plays for 30 minute then stops. This has been occuring the last two days. Any suggestions?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I have the same issue... Play 5...White light, no sound. Play/pause button works. Speaker beeps when volume buttons are pressed. Controller app shows volume increasing /decreasing. No music. Advice?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Power cycled it again and readded it and it works. 😃
I have the white light. Controller can see Play 5. Volume can be seen changing on controller when changed on the play 5. Headphones don’t work when plugged in to play 5. Sonos help had me perform a reset. All this has done is loose all my favourites. From what I’ve read here it’s a hardware problem and that I should change the fuse? Can anybody tell me how and where I find it?
I should add..... no speaker beeb when I cycle the volume control though the action can be seen on the controller
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If its hardware related your not going to be able to fix with a fuse.

Is the Play:5 playing music at all or are you saying just headphones that don't work?

If it isn't playing music at all I would first look at it being an IP address conflict. Do you know how to go into your router and assign a new static IP address to it?

Did Sonos go through any other troubleshooting before having you hard reset (that is usually a last resort).
Thanks Chris, no it not playing at all and no I’m afraid I don’t know how to assign an IP address
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you don't know how to assign IP Address (its pretty easy if you get your manual out for router) ... the next best thing to do is turn off EVERY...I mean EVERY network device you can think of in the house. Including phones etc. Then reboot your router. Then turn everything back on. That's about the only other way to clear bad IP addresses on your router.