Question

No Sonos After Upgrade to MacOS Sierra

A few weeks ago I updated my Mac to Sierra, and ever since then, my Sonos experience has tanked. I can get anywhere from one to maybe eight songs to play, and then I get a couple of different error messages that flash by. I can say with absolute certainty that the problems started after upgrading to Sierra, as I have had had Sonos for three years now, spent countless hours listening trouble free, and love my Sonos (and now miss my Sonos!). Nothing else has changed on my home network. I have not changed the wireless and wired network. No firmware updates otherwise. Nothing other than upgrading to Sierra.

In my effort to troubleshoot I have deleted the Sonos app and reinstalled. I have removed and re-added music library permissions. I have rebooted everything. I don't get it. I miss my Frank, my B.B. King, my Santana, and everyone else in my collection. Please help!

Oh, and I submitted diagnostics tonight -- # 7454587

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

I should add that 100% of my music exists on my Mac that I listen to. I'm not streaming when the Sonos service drops out.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi IowaGuy,

Thanks for submitting that diagnostic. After reviewing the diagnostic, I see that the computer is denying Sonos access to your music library. Please go through the troubleshooting steps in this article to ensure that your File Sharing settings are configured properly.
I double checked the file sharing settings and name, and all were fine. Turns out that it was the energy settings on the Mac that were reset after the upgrade. Once I changed those everything was fine. Two straight nights with a few hours of Sonos and no issues.
Since installing 10.13.1, my mac air cannot find Sonos at all!
Odd, I'm running 10.13.1 and not having any issues at all.

Mind telling us more about your setup? How are your speakers connected? What kind of router do you have? Have you tried a wifi refresh? Which version of the Mac app are you running?
Hi Omar H SONOS Staff - is there an upgrade available form the old sonos Play 1 and Play 3 to the new one with microphone and vocie recognition. I don't want to buy Amazon Echo dot. For the cost of an Amazon Echo dot I would prefer to upgrade my existing SONOS 1
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Hello harendran, there's no upgrade path in place for the PLAY:1 aside from purchasing a Sonos One or an Echo device to use to control your PLAY:1.
That is not very helpful. SONOS want me to spend £49.99 on a Amazon product that will not support/access my local music list. ... or spend on £200 on the new SONOS one to control my two sonos in two different rooms through the SONOS one in another room. There is no logic here. SONOS Is letting down their loyal customer base. Why cant they offer an upgrade path. for the £49.99 I spend on Amazon dot I am happy to give it to SONOS for an upgrade? Those who love their AMAZON dot can still keep it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
That is not very helpful. SONOS want me to spend £49.99 on a Amazon product that will not support/access my local music list. ... or spend on £200 on the new SONOS one to control my two sonos in two different rooms through the SONOS one in another room. There is no logic here. SONOS Is letting down their loyal customer base. Why cant they offer an upgrade path. for the £49.99 I spend on Amazon dot I am happy to give it to SONOS for an upgrade? Those who love their AMAZON dot can still keep it.

1. It would have been better to create your own thread on this subject rather than hijack one not related to it.
2. I'm not sure what you mean and why you are so angry? Sonos staff have informed you that you can control your Play 1 via an Echo Dot, which are often on offer under £50. The dot/Play 1 solution is just as good as the Sonos One solution, the only difference being you have to specify the room name.
3. You can control your Sonos speakers in any room from the Singe Dot solution in just the same way as a Sonos One. Neither solution lets you play music from local files through voice control, but both will work via an app.
4. The Echo dot solution has the following benefits.... It has the drop in feature, it allows you to place the voice command away from the speakers, and using Play 1s allows for more secure wall/stand mounting that the Sonos One lost.

I tough the Sonos post was helpful so just don't get your beef with it?
At first I thought harendran is asking for some kind of wide-range mic hardware upgrade for his existing zone players. Then I thought he wants Sonos to accept his used Amazon Echo Dot as a fifty quid reduction when purchasing a Sonos One. Then I realized he doesn't even own a Dot.
So in essence he's asking for a Sonos One at the price of a Dot. I giggled.
Apologies for hijacking this (your?) thread. Was not aware. Anyhow I spoke to SONOS and they confirmed that with Amazon dot its not possible to play songs from the Sonos local play list. But once you start your local play list it is possible to control volume and pause and skip to next song. Search my artist, title is not possible.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
And it is not possible to do that on the SONOS One either. The functionality is basically the same for the two options, you can start local music via the app and then use the Dot or One to skip track change volume pause...

The hijack remark was so that you get better response to your question. If it had it's own thread you'd get a lot more responses, and it could help others with the same issue.
Thanks for the clarification on both counts