No room settings after controller update to 9.2

• 13 October 2018
  • 25 replies

Userlevel 1
I now have no 'room settings' after the latest controller update.
Everything is running version 9.2
Controller 9.2 on laptop - Windows 10 Home Version 1809

25 replies

After the upgrade to 9.2, the Manage menu greyed out, and cannot access to other settings than EQ. No room setting (changing the room name), cannot ADD services.
I (used to) love Sonos because wherever I was working on (MAC, ipad, iphone), I could manage the system.
I discovered (minutes ago) I went from 9.1 to 9.2 on my iphone, that Sonos forces you to upgrade. I screen shot settings before and after and they looked like this. It is not that 9.2 has more functions, 9.1 did not showed the functions that already existed.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9
I now have no 'room settings' after the latest controller update.
Everything is running version 9.2
Controller 9.2 on laptop - Windows 10 Home Version 1809

See https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/updates-to-the-desktop-controller-coming-soon-6813300
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
After the upgrade to 9.2, the Manage menu greyed out, and cannot access to other settings than EQ. No room setting (changing the room name), cannot ADD services.

Possibly related to this: https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/where-did-my-room-settings-go-6757861
Thank you very much for your replies.
We are still far away from getting rid from desktop and laptops, therefore reducing desktop or laptop controller functionality is going the opposite way.

Even the Spotify Desktop has more versatility than mobiles and tables. We still need -at home and on the workplace- to heavy use Spreadsheets, powerpoints, design, photo edition, documents, browsing simultaneous web on laptop and desktops, even programming (which creates every app) needs a desktop or laptop. The Sonos controller fit perfectly within this environment as another app while working, playing, etc, and I chose and loved Sonos because I did not depend on a phone call to interrupt my music playing or wait till I hang up to open the app and change de music.

A big screen allows to have a better and overall view of the queue, playlist, music library, what is playing on each room , searching, etc. I even Imagine the UI that you could have a whole console where you see everything at the same time to control ROOM, EQ, VOLUME, PLAYLIST...like any old radio, new equipment or basic DJ software.
PLEASE do not impoverish the Desktop controller. The basic old version was fine. Unfortunately I was:( aware of the functions that would dissapear, I would not have made the update and I did not have an earlier installer backup. 😞
Userlevel 1
Master T - you are right ..... but I had NO IDEA that this was going to happen - I'd have stayed with the previous version if I'd known.

To SONOS: It's no good you saying "Our research shows that most Sonos owners reach for their mobile devices when it comes time to set up or control their systems, and so we've decided to focus on building interfaces where our owners go to look for them, which means our app for iOS or Android. " .... there are MANY of us who use a PC or laptop to access Sonos. I have made a BIG investment in your gear, and don't even possess an apple device. I'm not about to buy a tablet JUST to control my Sonos gear.
I have a similar problem after auto-updating to 9.2 on my iPad 3 which is running iOS 9.3.5

Prior to the 9.2 update my Sonos system was running like a dream, but since the update I have lost a number of menu options such as 'Room Settings' while in the Settings menu.

I've tried all the usual fixes such as rebooting devices, deleting and reinstalling software, and restoring factory settings, but nothing has fixed the issue. Since restoring factory settings on my speakers the Sonos controller app is refusing to setup the system and telling me to update the OS on my iPad - yet I'm using the latest OS currently available on an iPad 3.

I've spent a LOT of money on my Sonos system, but at the moment it's completely useless.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there a fix?
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
Master T - you are right ..... but I had NO IDEA that this was going to happen - I'd have stayed with the previous version if I'd known.

To SONOS: It's no good you saying "Our research shows that most Sonos owners reach for their mobile devices when it comes time to set up or control their systems, and so we've decided to focus on building interfaces where our owners go to look for them, which means our app for iOS or Android. " .... there are MANY of us who use a PC or laptop to access Sonos. I have made a BIG investment in your gear, and don't even possess an apple device. I'm not about to buy a tablet JUST to control my Sonos gear.

People like you and me who like to be in control of our equipment really must find another system. Sonos keeps changing the conditions for using the system ALL the time. I'm really fed up with this and it's quite clear they are not going to change their unattractive policy regarding updates and removing of functionality from platforms. I too am using the desktop mostly and the whole idea of removing functionality CONSTANTLY in conjunction with more or less mandatory updates is a big no-no for me nowdays. It's also interesting to see that an app like Sonophone can run on very old iOS systems but the Sonos controller can't. Why? Obiously not of technical reason, must be that Sonos like to force you to always buy new equipment.

But the whole idea of a big closed system for the nowdays trivial task of playing music wirelessly is outdated anyhow. The only thing preventing me from moving to Airplay2 is lack of time. Sooner or later I will do it. I don't like Sonos anymoe.
Userlevel 1
This makes me quite frustrated. I have to stop upgrading the Sonos software. Way too much nonsense is done because of lazy programmers and idiotic corporate decisions. My old controllers stopped working which was a great way to instantly have Sonos available to all my guests and all children in the house, internal or external. My Samsung tabs are too old to be used. My spare smartphones are too old to run the Sonos software. My previous iPhone are too old to run the software.

Come on, Sonos! Wake up to what you're doing to your customers! I will now for the first time in 15 years STOP recommending Sonos to anyone I meet from now on. I've always been a big fan. Not anymore. I'm getting ready to throw everything out for sale to get me something else that I can rely on and doesnt make my day troublesome. Maybe even find something that supports bluetooth as well.

By not letting me do everything through my PC anymore, is just super inconvenient and totally unneccesary! The code is already programmed and in the software. Version 9.2 just disables it. Why??

Also there is a lot of bugs in 9.2. It doesnt remember the window placement anymore, it doesn't show the queues properly and lots of other small crap. How can I go back to 9.1 on my Windows PC? Anyone?

In a few years, this change will be reversed at Sonos and at any other company that stupidly believe noone wants to own a computer anymore. The combination of big screen, keyboard and mouse will always be superior in usability to any smart device with only a touchscreen and voice control.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
Also there is a lot of bugs in 9.2. It doesnt remember the window placement anymore, it doesn't show the queues properly and lots of other small crap. How can I go back to 9.1 on my Windows PC? Anyone?

Unfortunately there's no reversal of upgrades with Sonos, it's like most other softwares nowdays. Also, since Sonos makes it impossible to add components, reset or alter your setup without updating it's more or less impossible not to upgrade and lose functionality either.

The only way to go is to look for alternatives to Sonos.
Badge
Can some one boil down the status of missing functionality after update to 9.2? I have hearing

issues and need to EQ audio for the spoken word, and now cannot adjust. What is Sonos proposing?
Exactly the same for me. I've lost 'Room Settings', 'Manage Music Library', 'My Music Services' etc.

Also, the 'Trueplay tune' feature no longer works via the 'Help & Tips' menu.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
Is this the latest version of the Controller? Although these things are removed from the Desktop App, I have them on the iOS versions. Or maybe your iOS is too old?
A quick update regards the 9.2 update after some correspondence with the Sonos Support Team via Twitter.

If you're using an iPad 3 or earlier then the Sonos 9.2 update has disabled various features - the key feature disabled being 'Trueplay tune' which enables Sonos to tune itself to your room's acoustics. Basically, if you want this feature back then you'll have to buy a new iPad or iPhone. I think that's pretty shameful.
I have a similar problem after auto-updating to 9.2 on my iPad 3 which is running iOS 9.3.5

Prior to the 9.2 update my Sonos system was running like a dream, but since the update I have lost a number of menu options such as 'Room Settings' while in the Settings menu.

I've tried all the usual fixes such as rebooting devices, deleting and reinstalling software, and restoring factory settings, but nothing has fixed the issue. Since restoring factory settings on my speakers the Sonos controller app is refusing to setup the system and telling me to update the OS on my iPad - yet I'm using the latest OS currently available on an iPad 3.

I've spent a LOT of money on my Sonos system, but at the moment it's completely useless.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there a fix?
Yes I'm having the same problem. Room settings gone plus other functions can't even access other settings such as link to Sonos Site. P.S. My iPhone controller works ok so must be the actual version iPad?
Are Sonos really saying that we cannot control room settings except through mobile apps AND that they won't build an app for Windows phones? How to I get a refund for the money I have spent on what is effectively a useless system which I can't set up? So cross!
Userlevel 1
Deprecating the functionality of desktop clients is a bit of a show stopper for us. We use Sonos speakers in our corporate hospitality environments, and do not make the controls available to our site managers via wireless networks. The controls are only available through a managed desktop experience. By removing room settings and the ability for us to add and pair speakers in the software, we're at least doubling the work it takes to setup and manage our Sonos deployments.

We have over 40 locations and everyone loves and are asking for Sonos (myself included). Please restore the full functionality of the desktop apps, or we'll be forced to find a solution other than Sonos for our company.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
@cageden I agree. While this hasn't affected me at home, it has affected our business operations more than I thought it would. We have reluctantly decided to put all further Sonos installations on hold and look at alternatives. I'm certain Sonos has the stats to back its decision, but those may not take into account how this decision may impact Sonos' ability to expand into more business environments.
this has affected me at home and I'm furious. Just went to split my play 3s up and spent half an hour looking for something that is no longer there. C'mon Sonos. This is a crazy decision. You're just upsetting your user base.
Userlevel 1
I am NOT buying an Apple iPad just because Sonos want to do just one platform.

Now I have lost functionality on my laptop, and I now have NO APPLICATION on my wife's Samsung Galaxy pad because it has an 'out of date' (as far as Sonos is concerned) Android version.

I would NEVER recommend Sonos to anyone after this farce of an 'upgrade'.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
I agree with others posting here. I don't know why you removed functions that were working, but you're screwing those of us who like to use the desktop controller as our primary controller. Please restore these functions in the next release along with the ability to remember window size and position. Come on guys. These things have worked for years. How difficult is it to keep them up to date? (Oh, and I want the old colors back.)
Badge
Rocketman...my online name for gaming is RocketMan! Anyway, has there been any solution? I too lost a room recently and just when I thought I was out of the woods with this oh so difficult Sonos system. I can’t even go into all the issues I’ve had with losing rooms, not connecting, etc. etc. etc. I spent a ton of money, 2 Play 1’s, 1 Play 5, 1 Soundbar, Sub. and you can’t even use these when you have no internet connection. They are expensive boat anchors. If it wasn’t for the sound quality when they work, I would have ditched them long ago. Let me know if there is a fix besides setting up the room again (which is the room with the sound bar, Play 1’s and the Sub, of course).
Badge
...by the way...I don’t think buying an iPad is the answer...I have an Air 2 and it happened to me.
Dear Sonos! thats absolutly bull! i wan't to be able to setup my sonos system wherever i want. Instead of making progress, you remove essential settings possibilities. what a policy is that!
I agree with a lot of people in the Community re: a perception of going backwards and loss of functionality for those of us who still primarily use PC's to do things rather than iPhones.

But at the end of the day it is Sonos' decision and I have no doubt there will be some fine print somewhere that says Sonos can change things without the agreement of their users.

I felt so frustrated today at not being able to successfully allocate a Sonos Beam and Sub to a media room using the controller on the PC or the iPhone App after updating it, that I went out and purchased a new Bose 700 Soundbar and Sub.

Job done and working well.
Badge
Completely agree with everyone else on this post.

Desktop functionality is needed.

With over 35,000 songs and 11 sonos components, being able to adjust everything on a big screen is necessary.

Especially as I get older and don't see as well.