No options under "Manage". Can't update my Library.

Badge
Afters years of successful Sonos use, playing my itunes music files stored on a hard drive plugged into my wireless router ... I suddenly can't update my library. In fact, NONE of the options under the "Manage" tab are active any more.
My Sonos desktop controller CAN see my library as I can play songs from it, I just can't get it to update and so I can't add any more music.

Could someone tell me how to fix this?
BTW - I am running Sonos 7.0 on a MacBook Pro with OS10.7.5

Thanks.

12 replies

MacOS 10.7-10.8 is now only partially supported. You need to upgrade to a higher version (10.9 or over for full features), or use another controller.
Badge
??? They took a version that worked and then made it stop working? That doesn't make any sense.
Any idea where I would locate a version of the desktop controller that does work?
You cannot go back to an earlier version. Sonos has to develop new features. When Macs cannot keep up it is basically down to Apple's policy of planned obsolescence. Ask yourself whose equipment you need to buy to deal with this: Sonos or Apple? Of course Sonos didn't arbitrarily decide to stop the controller working on older Mac OS.
Badge
I guess I'm just confused as to what went awry.
It was all working fine and I was a happy Sonos user. I didn't change/upgrade anything about my Mac OS.
Then, the Sonos software that had worked so beautifully stopped working correctly. Since I am still running it on the same Mac, it just seems like it is something in the Sonos software is broken.
I guess I was hoping to just put it back the way it was a few months ago. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it. 😞
You updated to a new version of your Sonos software which adds new features. In order to run those new features, Apple requires Sonos to build their software using a library which eliminates support for older, obsolete versions of the MacOS. It's a fact of life with software that eventually upgrades will drop support for older operating systems. This is especially true for Apple, who appear to force software producers to abandon older versions for reasons other than technical or hardware limitations, and it happens far sooner, and far more often than with other companies. This is known in the industry as "forced obsolescence."
Yep. One of my company's apps worked perfectly since 2012. It's a simple app for our clients, but Apple said we had to update it to the latest of their programming technology or it would no longer work soon. When we didn't, it started telling our customers on their devices that we needed to update it. Android doesn't care.
Badge
You updated to a new version of your Sonos software which adds new features."
Ah. Thanks jgatie for straightening that out.
That was probably where I went wrong. I added a new Sonos component back in May and when I was going through the set-up I probably absent mindedly allowed an update to happen. 😞 Oh well, ruined a good thing.

SO - moving on from there ...
I have now tried to update my Library using the Sonos Ap on my iPhone. I think it is some version of a 5 and it is running 10.3.2
The Sonos Ap is 7.0.1
I have now tried the " update Music Index Now" option several times and it looks like it is doing something, at least it greys out the option for quite a while afterwards ... but it still hasn't added the new music to my Library.

Any ideas what is happening here?
That was probably where I went wrong. I added a new Sonos component back in May and when I was going through the set-up I probably absent mindedly allowed an update to happen.You would almost certainly have had no option. An ex-stock component would have had out of date firmware, which would in most cases not match the version already running on your system. For a system to work it must have the same major version throughout. You would therefore have been forced to update everything.

The Sonos Ap is 7.0.1... which is 2 major versions out of date. Sonos Support are unlikely to assist unless you update to the latest.

I have now tried the " update Music Index Now" option several times and it looks like it is doing something, at least it greys out the option for quite a while afterwards ... but it still hasn't added the new music to my Library.The player logs would give a clue. You would need to submit a diagnostic and post the reference number. Sonos Support could then advise, but see the last point....
Badge

The Sonos Ap is 7.0.1... which is 2 major versions out of date.

I'm fear I already know the answer to this ... but if I upgrade my Sonos Ap on my iPhone is the Ap going to quit working or lose functionality?

The Sonos Ap is 7.0.1... which is 2 major versions out of date.

I'm fear I already know the answer to this ... but if I upgrade my Sonos Ap on my iPhone is the Ap going to quit working or lose functionality?

It will ask you to update your players. Often it will allow you to continue to use basic playback features, but admin options will be unavailable.
Badge
😞 Thanks for the heads up.

Sadly, I suspect that this "Technolescence as a revenue stream" is where we are headed with our cars.
One morning you will get in your car to go to work and it won't start because it's software "upgraded" during the night and now it needs different octane gas or a different type of battery or tires before it will run.
On the bright side after being late for work and then investing in replacing things that worked just fine the day before ... you will have a whole new set of car horn sounds and a new dashboard display with whimsical icons . 😛
Dont blame Sonos. Their own internal policy on techical obsolescence has 12 year old players still compatible with units from this year. Their controllers also have a far longer lifespan than the app based controllers. Also, the Android app has twice the lifespan as iOS with regards to compatibility with older Andoid OS versions. It's a fact Apple is well known for a policy of forced obsolescence, it's in their coporate DNA. The Sonos app compatibility problems with older iOS versions is just another example of this.