Answered

No optical output from tv to Playbar

• 18 December 2016
  • 11 replies

Just noticed that my tv doesn't have any optical output that I can use to connect it to my Playbar.
Any advice?
icon

Best answer by John B 18 December 2016, 21:47

You could potentially get an analogue to digital converter (NOT the more common digital to analogue). I'm sure there must be an RCA to optical one out there.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Avoiding the temptation to say "get a new TV"...... what audio outputs does your TV have?
Avoiding the temptation to say "get a new TV"...... what audio outputs does your TV have?

Haha! It has AUX and RCA.
You could potentially get an analogue to digital converter (NOT the more common digital to analogue). I'm sure there must be an RCA to optical one out there.
It has AUX and RCA.
No digital out at all? Is it a cathode ray tube TV?
Ok! Thanks, I'll try to find one tomorrow. 🙂
It has AUX and RCA.
No digital out at all? Is it a cathode ray tube TV?

Haha! No It's an LCD Philips 55"
I bet it has a digital out then. Taking a stereo analog out and digitising it back to PCM is far from ideal.
I didn't find one in the specs, the model is Philips 55PFL4908T
http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/5/55pfl4908t_12/55pfl4908t_12_dfu_aen.pdf
It has a digital coaxial audio out.

All you need is a coax-to-optical digital converter.
http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/5/55pfl4908t_12/55pfl4908t_12_dfu_aen.pdf
It has a digital coaxial audio out.

All you need is a coax-to-optical digital converter.

Ok! Thanks, I didn't see it before because of the cables from my Blu Ray was in the way
I was only looking for a Toslink output! 🙂
Learning from this thread as I am considering getting a Playbar and my TV doesn’t have optical either. Does the coax-to-optical allow 5.1 sound or just stereo?

Thanks,

Dave