Question

No Dolby 5.1 from ps4

• 4 December 2015
  • 23 replies

Userlevel 2
Hi everyone, I hope someone can help with my question.

i have an Xbox one, Sky+HD and Apple TV connected to my 55" Samsung UE55F8000, they pass through Dolby 5.1 through HDMI to the tv and then this is connected via optical to the Sonos Playbar and two Play 1's. I get Dolby 5.1 with no issues.

I've just bought a PS4 and connected this up the same way, however it doesn't pass through Dolby 5.1 to the TV. I've set it up as per the instructions on the Sonos site and in the PS4 manual by setting the HDMI Out as audio with Bitstream(Dolby) selected. All it outputs is Stereo.

Does anyone else have a similar setup and has managed to get 5.1 to output from the PS4 via HDMI?

Sony support are saying the PS4 is incompatible with Sonos.

Thanks

James

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Nice of Sony to just say not compatible instead of having to ask questions.

try this tutorial
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3075/~/configuring-your-playstation-4-to-output-dolby-digital-5.1
Userlevel 2
That's the link I've used and how I've got it set up. They're not very helpful at all
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would give Sonos a call
Userlevel 2
I have done. It's a ps4 issue. Sony don't want to know though. Or even help. They said see if it works with someone else's. Not very helpful
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos told you it was a PS4 issue?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
People do seem to be having a lot of trouble with it

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-playstation-area/1500435-ps4-linear-pcm-outputting-only-stereo-over-hdmi-sony-es-receiver-anyone-else.html
Badge
The PS4 does not seem to be able to output Dolby Digital 5.1 via HDMI. Such a shame.

I figured this out as I recently bought bloodborne and wanted to play it in my living room via the PLAY bar, but sadly could not get DD5.1 working over HDMI.

The PS3 does DD5.1 over HDMI fine.
Userlevel 2
Yeah. That's what they said as everything else works and puts out a 5.1 signal. I just wish Sony would listen to people
Badge +1
I think it's an issue with Samsung not Sony. I have Xbox one, Apple TV 4th gen an these pass through 5.1 but my ps4 doesn't and I have the hu8500 (uk) yet before with my Sony TVs it did pass through 5.1 from ps4 hdmi. looking into this it's an issue with EDID...the handshake between tv and device and for what ever reason the TV auto downgrades from bitstream to pcm at hdmi. Maybe some one else could explain better but if you plug the optical cable directly into the ps4 and set to bitstream DD this does work and send DD 5.1.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3

i have an Xbox one, Sky+HD and Apple TV connected to my 55" Samsung UE55F8000, they pass through Dolby 5.1 through HDMI to the tv and then this is connected via optical to the Sonos Playbar and two Play 1's. I get Dolby 5.1 with no issues.

I've just bought a PS4 and connected this up the same way, however it doesn't pass through Dolby 5.1 to the TV. I've set it up as per the instructions on the Sonos site and in the PS4 manual by setting the HDMI Out as audio with Bitstream(Dolby) selected. All it outputs is Stereo.

Does anyone else have a similar setup and has managed to get 5.1 to output from the PS4 via HDMI?

Thanks

James

Have you tried wiring the PLAYBAR directly to the optical out on the PS4? Also check that the PS4 is configured to output DD5.1.
Yep, same here. Only stereo no matter how it's hooked up ( optical or HDMI ) . And also had the same responses from Sony when I called. Refuse to acknowledge , said to try with someone else's TV , and weren't prepared look into it ( even though there's 100's of posts just in their own PS forum about it alone,not to mention 100's more online elsewhere )
I think Sonos needs to stop listing it as a solution to DTS, as it's clearly not a solution that works for everyone
my sonos is connected to a sony w900a through optical cable. Then hdmi to the ps4. I am getting 5.1 from the system no problem. I have had it this way for the last year and a half. I set up the audio connection through hdmi in ps4 setting and when i check the sonos controller it shows im picking up digital 5.1
some tv's will not pass optical to hdmi anymore. Its the samsung that is at fault not the playbar
I have the same problem. I have PS4 connected via HDMI to Samsung SUHD UN55JS8500 (with the one connect mini) with optical out from the one connect mini to SONOS (Sonos Playbar, Sub, Connect amp with 2 rear wired speakers).

The PS4 sends DD5.1 over HDMI if the DVD or Blu-ray were originally coded in DD. It will not decode Blu-ray DTS to DD5.1 over HDMI.

Only way I can get DTS decoded to DD5.1 is connecting the PS4 Optical Out directly to the Sonos (with the PS4 configured to primary output Optical and format Bitstream(Dolby)). Of course this is NOT a workable solution. I also bought a sony receiver (which the BestBuy guys said would convert the HDMI output audio to DD5.1) but I could not get it to work and called Sony who confirmed ALL their receivers can only decode and output over their wired speakers -- none can decode and override the HDMI output audio -- HDMI Output audio is exactly what they receive from the HDMI INPUT. They also confirmed they could not take the Optical IN and pass the signal to HDMI OUT.

Since the one connect mini passes DD5.1 from my ATT cable box to the Sonos Playbar (when the tv station is broadcasting in DD5.1) with no problems, then I have to assume the problem is NOT with the Samsung TV or its one connect mini hub.

Everything I have tried leaves me to believe the problem is with the PS4 not able to decode bluray DTS to DD5.1 over HDMI.

On the PS4 forum, one person says the problem is EDID sensing over HDMI by the PS4 and their solution was using a DR. HDMI to spoof the PS4 into thinking the upstream device has a DD5.1 EDID signature. Has ANYONE tried this solution??????? Or has anyone gotten this to work by some other means and if so could you let us know exactly how you got it to work.
Same problem as above. I have 'upgraded' my Samsung TV from 2014 model to a 55JS8000 only 2 months ago. I am getting DD5.1 from the PS4 itself, but DTS encoded Blu Rays are only coming out in Stereo.
My previous Samsung TV actually did encode the DTS into DD5.1 ( after upgrading the one connect box to the SEK-3500 ) and play correctly. As another user stated, it has no bearing as to how new the TV is.
And again , I think Sonos should not be offering the PS4 as a solution to their DTS problem as it clearly doesn't work for everyone.
I think Sonos should not be offering the PS4 as a solution to their DTS problem as it clearly doesn't work for everyone.
Sonos don't see the lack of DTS as a problem. Sonos has never suggested the PS-4 as a solution to anything.
Hello all,

I am new to the forum so hope I am posting in the correct place.

I have recently purchased a Playbar and 2 Play1's and generally have been enjoying the output, although somewhat limited from terrestrial TV. Tonight I decided to test out my PS4, more specifically a Blu-ray (Star Wars, TFA).

The Playbar does a good job of pumping out a good level of audio and bass, but the Play1's are only playing faint background noise. When I go to the 'About my Sonos System' on the app, it states it is only receiving Stereo under Audio In.

The PS4 is connected directly to the the Playbar via Optical.

The PS4 settings are as follows:
Primary Output Port: Digital Out (Optical) - within the sub menu here all the items are ticked (Dolby Digital 5.1ch, DTS 5.1ch, AAC, Linear PCM 44.1kHz & 48kHz
Audio Format: Bitstream (Dolby)

Then on the actual Blu-ray, under Options > Settings > Audio Fomat - Linear PCM. I have read that you should use Bitstream (Mix) here but when I do that I get no audio at all (perhaps a clue to an issue?)

I am not a whizz at this sort of thing by any stretch and have done a bit of testing e.g. I unticked some of the options under the PS4 settings, which allowed me to select Bitstream (Mix)...but I felt the audio was weaker than with the above configuration.

Whilst the sound is good I feel that the Soundbar is doing all the work, but when I watched the Hobbit on TV the other day, all speakers were working together and it sounded fantastic.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
The Blu-ray seems to support PCM which is stereo. What happens when you play a Blu-ray via the ps4?
Here is how you do it.

1) You must use an optical out cable from PS4 to the soundbar (and some satellite speakers)
2) If your TV does not support pass through you get an optical splitter (Amazon), run one to the sound bar and you can use multiple lines in from cable box, PS4, direct from TV if you have smart TV, whatvever else,
3) You must set primary audio output from PS4 to optical
4) From any Blueray or DVD menu go to settings
5) select audio format
6) select bitstream direct

voila - you have dolby 5.1 from ps4 to sonos.
p.s. you can bypass the splitter part and run the PS4 optical out directly to the soundbar as well.
I am finding now with more blu rays having the dts-master audio I have to make sure I can select Bitstream (mixed) for the ps4 to send DD 5.1 to the playbar via optical cable direct (or a splitter). I do believe there is a bug sending through HDMI via PS4, cause my TV can send 5.1 optical out from my cable box via HDMI.
I know this is an old post but if you have a Blu-ray that does have a Dolby Digital track on it, when you are in the movie playback, hit the options button on your PS4 controller and you can change the audio out format from PCM to Bitsteam Direct. Then you will get true Dolby Digital 5.1.

Thanks

James

I ran into the same issue. Bottom line: currently PS4 only allows DTS conversion to DD over optical, not HDMI.
On the Playstation forum there is a very nice answer to this question by "Dead-Sync (support MVP)". I will quote that reply below.
First the link to the thread:
https://community.playstation.com/content/pdc/us/en_US/pdc-communities/support/Consoles-Peripherals.topic.html/feature_request_-bi-ZFPI.html

Quote:
"First of all, what Audio Format Priority is your PS4 set to? (Obviously I would avoid Bitstream (DTS) Priorirty)

Not sure If Im understanding the situation 100%, but my guess is even if you have the correct setting:
- As you stated, some movies use DTS instead of Dolby. The PS4 WOULD reprocess it if it felt the need to BUT
- The PS4 believes it's OK to send DTS over, because as far as the PS4 is concerned, it only reads info from the next unit in line (the TV). Your TV supports DTS therefore the PS4 will send DTS willy nilly.
- The problem here is then that same DTS signal gets passed along to the soundbar (since your TV is setup to pass along the audio via optical) since optical cannot distinguish supported formats, it just continues to pass along DTS thinking there is no problem, but since the soundbar doesnt support it you don't get proper audio.

First off, are there any settings on your TV regarding passing along audio? I have a Sony XBR-55X850C and I know there are a few options for using external speakers (although my soundbar is connected via HDMI so it's a bit diferent.) Maybe you could force it to reprocess all audio to dolby or something before going to the soundbar?

Personally I would RECCOMMEND plugging the PS4 Audio direct into the Soundbar via Optical if you have the ability to. Generally speaking you want less steps in the path from source to output. The PS4 has an optical port for this very reason, plus when doing this you can designate every format your Soundbar DOES and DOES NOT support in your Audio Settings to ensure you get the right signal to the soundbar every time. Plus you'd likely have less audio latency.

If you insist on going HDMI through the TV for both audio and video, you might want to try to check TV settings to see if it can repackage the audio for you for the soundbar, or maybe use LPCM instead of Bitstream. My thought process here is the TV should understand that LPCM 5.1 cannot be sent through Optical, so it might FORCE it to compress it into something else. (Either that or you'll lose channels and get the same result).

Bottom line I do strongly reccommend PS4 > Soundbar via Optical for best results

While I understand it would be nice to havr the mix setting, in theory it SHOULDN'T need it. HDMI can determine what formats are supported or not, but since the PS4 is "getting tricked" by having HDMI to the TV but Optical to the soundbar afterwards, if your TV isn't doing the proper job of changing audio formats, you might run into these problems.

Please let me know if you wish to discuss this more or have more questions"