Answered

No digital output LG OLED B6

• 11 February 2019
  • 7 replies

I just purchased a Sonos Beam for my LG OLED B6 (2016). I noticed that when I connect the Beam to either ARC or Optical the ‘Digital Sound Out’ setting on the LG is set to PCM and cannot be changed. The Sonos app just always says Stereo as the input. I mainly stream from the LG Apps (Netflix, Hulu, etc). Do I need a streaming device to get digital audio out for these apps? I do have an Nvidia Shield but haven’t tried it out yet.
icon

Best answer by Neverness 11 February 2019, 20:21

UPDATE: Resetting the factory settings on my LG OLED B6 did the trick. 'Auto' is now selectable from the 'Digital Sound Out' on HDMI ARC. Thanks for everyones help and hopefully this helps someone else 🙂
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I have my B6 connected via optical to my sony AVR and I get DD no problem from Netflix app. I have the tv set to output to internal speakers and optical out. I have to turn the tv volume to zero when I want the AVR on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I just purchased a Sonos Beam for my LG OLED B6 (2016). I noticed that when I connect the Beam to either ARC or Optical the ‘Digital Sound Out’ setting on the LG is set to PCM and cannot be changed. The Sonos app just always says Stereo as the input. I mainly stream from the LG Apps (Netflix, Hulu, etc). Do I need a streaming device to get digital audio out for these apps? I do have an Nvidia Shield but haven’t tried it out yet.

From what I've seen, TVs will 'grey out' audio options when the currently playing video is not recorded in dolby digital or other options. If you can find a netflix show that specifically states that it's '5.1' in the show synopsis, than you should then have the option of switching your audio option.
I don't see any content that says '5.1' in Netflix LG app for some reason. I opened up Amazon Prime and played some movies that do show 5.1; however, same issue. It is locked to 'PCM' for Digital Audio Out. Do I need Sonus surrounds for my Beam to accept anything other than Stereo? I was planning on getting them but want to jump through this hurdle first.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Just here verifying that you do not need surrounds for Sonos to pickup Dolby Digital 5.1 - tested this out with the Netflix app on my PC connected to an Amp. I know from a browser, Netflix does not push 5.1, but you already tested 5.1 with Amazon Prime - has this TV ever given out Dolby Digital before? Does the TV require an update?
Keith - Formally I had an Onkyo AVR 5.1 setup and was able to send out Digital audio. My lifestyle has changed hence my push to a Sonos setup. The TV has the latest firmware update. What I will try today is plug my Nvidia Shield in to my TV and play some 5.1 videos from there and see if that setting is unlocked. After that I may just try a factory reset on the TV. But still open to other suggestions!
No change when using the Shield TV and playing 5.1 movies. Unable to change the digital sound out.
UPDATE: Resetting the factory settings on my LG OLED B6 did the trick. 'Auto' is now selectable from the 'Digital Sound Out' on HDMI ARC. Thanks for everyones help and hopefully this helps someone else 🙂