Answered

No Audio from Connect:Amp - everything else OK.

I'm truly puzzled by this one. I've got a Sonos:Amp that has been working flawlessly for four years. Connected to two speakers that are located outside the building. Speaker wires are fine. The Amp itself shows up in the app, shows that it's getting volume, playing music, etc., but nothing coming out of the speakers. I just did a factory reset -- again, the app saw it immediately, it registered and shows that it's playing music, but no sound out of either speaker. All the connections at the amp look fine & I swapped the left & right just to see what would happen. Still no sound. Any suggestions? Thanks.
icon

Best answer by flyingpoint 3 May 2019, 20:50

Well -- I solved it, but I'm still a little surprised. Turns out that it was the speaker wire. The speaker connections on BOTH speakers connected to this particular connect:amp went at the same time. It's especially weird that while the speakers are outside, they're under a sizable roof and away from wind, rain & snow. But the problem is definitely fixed. Jeff S - thanks for the suggestions!
View original

13 replies

I should add -- it's a wired connection and always has been.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I'm truly puzzled by this one. I've got a Sonos:Amp that has been working flawlessly for four years. Connected to two speakers that are located outside the building. Speaker wires are fine. The Amp itself shows up in the app, shows that it's getting volume, playing music, etc., but nothing coming out of the speakers. I just did a factory reset -- again, the app saw it immediately, it registered and shows that it's playing music, but no sound out of either speaker. All the connections at the amp look fine & I swapped the left & right just to see what would happen. Still no sound. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hi flyingpoint,

Thanks for reaching out. Please try playing something on your Connect:Amp, then submit a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number. I'll take a look for you.
Thanks, Jeff. Here you go : 2127815149. The problem amp is "Hot Tub."
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks, Jeff. Here you go : 2127815149. The problem amp is "Hot Tub."

Thanks for the report. I don't see a whole lot in the device's logs that would explain the issue. I notice that Connect:Amp is in a group, o you get any audio when playing to that unit by itself? In case the issue is upstream of the Connect:Amp, you could try swapping out the speakers, and cables with the working Connect:Amp to narrow down the issue.
Sorry. I put it on party mode. There are two Connect:Amps in that building. One is working perfectly. The other is the unit described above. Would you like me to resubmit with just the questionable amp?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Sorry. I put it on party mode. There are two Connect:Amps in that building. One is working perfectly. The other is the unit described above. Would you like me to resubmit with just the questionable amp?

If you try to play music to just that Connect:Amp does it work? If not, the issue is probably not related to communication between your Sonos components. In case you don't hear audio, you can check to see if the cables or speakers are a factor by swapping them out with those on your working Connect:Amp. This should let us isolate where the issue is.
No -- playing music to just that Connect:Amp results in no sound. The other unit in that building continues to work fine, so it's not the ethernet cable to building or the music source. The working unit is a little tough to get to -- I'll try to swap them out tomorrow.
Jeff - Here's a diagnostic with just the affected unit playing music : 1780334510
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Jeff - Here's a diagnostic with just the affected unit playing music : 1780334510

It's still not clear why there is no audio. What is the unit wired into? Can you try running the Connect:Amp wirelessly?
The unit has always had its own ethernet drop. Tried wireless. No luck. I then plugged the cable back in and shut wireless off on the unit. Still no luck.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The unit has always had its own ethernet drop. Tried wireless. No luck. I then plugged the cable back in and shut wireless off on the unit. Still no luck.

Thanks for trying. The next things to try will be different cables and speakers.
Well -- I solved it, but I'm still a little surprised. Turns out that it was the speaker wire. The speaker connections on BOTH speakers connected to this particular connect:amp went at the same time. It's especially weird that while the speakers are outside, they're under a sizable roof and away from wind, rain & snow. But the problem is definitely fixed. Jeff S - thanks for the suggestions!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It's good to hear things are working again. It can be tricky to narrow down the issue sometimes!