Answered

Newly purchased Beam constantly disappears from system.

• 4 December 2018
  • 6 replies

I recently bought a Beam in the Black Friday promotion to add to my existing set up of a Bridge, 6 players and two controllers. Up to now my system has been completely problem free but the Beam constantly disappears from the list of players, becomes unresponsive and has to be re-booted. I'm pretty sure it's not wireless interference because the only 2.4 GHZ wireless device we have is a cordless phone and the Beam is further from it than one of my Connects.
However, I have noticed that the problem is worse if I switch on the desktop computer (wired ethernet to the router) or my wife uses her iPad. This makes me wonder if the problem is related to IP address conflicts?
Any help would be appreciated.
Incidentally I can no longer see how to raise a Support Ticket on the Sonos support website?
icon

Best answer by pl2112 9 April 2019, 14:21

I'm still having problems with this months later despite having contacted Sonos support on numerous occasions. They've had me swap my Bridge for a Play 3, try a completely wireless set-up (lost the whole system!), change wireless channels, do a full factory reset of the Beam etc, etc. The Beam still regularly drops off the system. Having spent a completely fruitless 2 hours on the phone this morning with a case number during which I waited an hour to get through to an "agent" who promptly informed me that he didn't do technical support, I spent a further hour waiting to be transferred to the proper department before I just gave up. Sorry I don't have that much life left to waste.
I've now decided the Beam is a useless waste of space and would like to return it as faulty at best or not fit for purpose - only trouble is the Sonos website support page offers no hints how to get warranty support!!!!!
Absolutely hopeless - and to think I persuaded several friends and family to invest in Sonos products, won't happen again that's for sure!
View original

6 replies

Same issue here...just bought a Beam this past weekend and it just becomes a brick one or twice a day. TV won't recognize via HDMI ARC, no Alexa....it's like it's not there. Only unplugging to re-boot restores the connection, but this is not a sustainable practice. I haven't been able to track down a trigger for this. I only notice when I turn the the TV back on and the audio is coming from the TV and not the sound bar. Will be calling support when I'm home during available hours.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
pl2112 WiFi interference can come from almost anything electronic, even stuff with no radio.

My first suspicion is always the Bridge, can you hook a temp Ethernet to any of your speakers and unplug the power to the Bridge and see if things improve? If they do suspect a bad power supply on the Bridge. If you can connect another Sonos to Ethernet the Bridge isn't needed, if needed a replacement power supply is cheap to a newer Boost has better radios.

Addresses may not be your issue but setting the static/reserved IPs in the router's DHCP settings is cheap insurance and has ended the frustration that updates can cause for a good number of folks. Take the couple minutes needed and aviod the potential problems that will take far more than minutes to sort out if they bite.

Once you have eliminated the Bridge as the problem look at your NetworkMatrix and see if you see any issues, post a legible screenshot if you want assistance.

You can also post a diagnostic code here or for faster response to twitter or facebook, the phones remain the best source of help but hold times can get long. The Contact page has the list of addresses.
Stanley_4 thanks for the reply.
The Bridge power supply is no more than 6 months old (the original failed in the summer after 7 years). The only way I can hook ethernet to a speaker is by moving one from it's current location in another room, I don't mind doing it temporarily as a means of identifying the problem but it's not a viable permanent solution.
It seems strange that I should start suffering wireless interference only now I have bought a Beam - my system has been flawless since 2011. Maybe I should have saved my money and not bought the Beam!
I'll see if I can set static/reserved IP's as you suggest.
Unfortunately I've no idea how to view my Network Matrix, can you advise?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Edit this to use one of your speaker's IP and it should bring up the matrix page.

http://172.16.1.115:1400/support/review

I keep a roll of flat Ethernet cable around to hook stuff without moving it, wife tolerates it for a day or two.

https://smile.amazon.com/Ethernet-Internet-Network-Computer-Connectors/dp/B00WD017BG/ref=sr_1_6
I'm still having problems with this months later despite having contacted Sonos support on numerous occasions. They've had me swap my Bridge for a Play 3, try a completely wireless set-up (lost the whole system!), change wireless channels, do a full factory reset of the Beam etc, etc. The Beam still regularly drops off the system. Having spent a completely fruitless 2 hours on the phone this morning with a case number during which I waited an hour to get through to an "agent" who promptly informed me that he didn't do technical support, I spent a further hour waiting to be transferred to the proper department before I just gave up. Sorry I don't have that much life left to waste.
I've now decided the Beam is a useless waste of space and would like to return it as faulty at best or not fit for purpose - only trouble is the Sonos website support page offers no hints how to get warranty support!!!!!
Absolutely hopeless - and to think I persuaded several friends and family to invest in Sonos products, won't happen again that's for sure!
Any updates to the issue above ? It seems to be a problem for hundred of users. Have same issues which I just I posted today.