Answered

New Router - Sonos app on PC can't see system

• 19 October 2020
  • 11 replies

• Contributor I
  • 5 replies

I have new router.

The Sonos apps on my iphone and ipad have found my Sonos system, but the controller on my (Windows 10) PC can’t find it.

I’ve tried every option on the support pages, but nothing works. I get to the stage where the light on a unit flashes orange but the nothing happens. I’ve tried this with each unit in turn – the Play:3 the Play:5 and both Connects. I’ve also tried rebooting them all and rebooting the router.

Any suggestions?

icon

Best answer by LesW 21 October 2020, 13:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @LesW, thank you for reaching out to us, and welcome to the Sonos community. I appreciate you for bringing this concern to us. Let me help you out with this.

If you can submit a diagnostic from your Windows 10 PC and mobile devices to compare the reports. Just include the confirmation number in your response so that we can look up the information.

If you need help with any other information, feel free to reach out. We'll wait for your reply.

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly - much appreciated.

I’ve submitted a report from my ipad - confirmation number 1954918215.

I can’t send anythng from my PC because when I open

the [Sonos 1} app it goes straight to the setup screen. I’ve taken a screenshot which I’ve attached.

Les

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @LesW, thank you for your response and for providing the diagnostic report number. Let me help you out.

As per the screenshot that you posted, did you try to click the button "Connect to existing system"? Were you able to connect? Any error messages?

From what I can see in the diagnostic, this issue may have been stemming from a communication issue between Sonos and your network router or between Sonos and the internet.

Let me suggest the following basic troubleshooting step by performing a sequential reboot of your network devices, all your Sonos products, and force close mobile controllers to refresh the connection.

A sequential reboot means that we need to do this in order.
1. Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
2. Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
3. Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
4. When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.

After performing the steps above and you're still experiencing the same problem, hardwire one of your speakers to your router and observe your Sonos system. Please submit another diagnostic for us to check if the errors have been cleared out.

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions.

You're always welcome here.

Hi Rowena

Thanks once again for a very prompt response.

I have to say that I’ve been through all of the steps that you outline (including making an ethernet connection to one of the speakers), but I will do them again in the exact sequence that you advise.

I’m not entirely sure why this might be a communuication issue, when the communication is obviously OK with my ipad (and incidentally with our two iphones and my wife’s MacBook Pro) is it funamentally something to do with Windows?

In answer to  your question, when I click the button "Connect to existing system" it takes me through the steps of Press this button etc. Of course, you will probably realise that none of my units (Play:3, Paly:5 and two Connects) have the Play/Pause button. If I press the Mute and ‘+’ buttons simultaneously the led light on the unit flashes orange for a while. This enabled me to connect using the app on my ipad, which is now working fine, but on my PC nothing happens and the window eventually reverts to Try Again. I can send a sequence of screenshots if it would help, or I could even do a screen recording.

I will contact you again when I’ve gone through the sequence. This may not be for a day or two, so if you have any other ideas inthe meantime, please let me know.

Regards

Les

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @LesW thank you for your quick response and for keeping us posted on what's happening. I really appreciate all your effort in performing the suggested troubleshooting steps.

The diagnostic report gives the snapshot of your Sonos system for us to know the issue and understand what's going on to help you provide a resolution.

Other devices may connect to your network without an issue, like your computer and mobile devices, they can connect to the WiFi network after activating the WiFi radio on the device. Sonos system will only connect to the registered network. If that network is not being detected by your system, you won't be able to connect.

I'd like to ask some questions to isolate the issue so we can create a path towards resolution.

1. Is your computer wired directly to your router? Were you able to connect to Sonos from your MAC?
2. Have you tried recreating the sharing permissions on the folder where your music is located?
3. Have you tried to configure the MAC OS firewall to work with Sonos? 
4. If you have an antivirus installed on your MAC, you may check the firewall configuration settings to ensure that it's not blocking Sonos.

Please submit another diagnostic of your system and reply back with the confirmation number. It would be great if you can submit from your MAC and mobile device to check both reports. This will allow us to see how your system is functioning, and help provide a resolution.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

The Sonos Community is always here to help.

Hello again Rowena

I’ve been all through the procedures for the sequential reboot and I’m afraid that nothing has changed. The confirmation number for the diagnostics submission from my iphone is 1589277075 and from the MacBook Pro is 1395802203.

Looking at your last reply, I’m not quite sure why you’re asking the questions about the Mac. The Sonos 1 app is working fine on that. As a summary here are all the devices that we normally use to control our Sonos sytem:

• A MacBook Pro - connected via wi-fi - working OK.
  • Two iphones (both iphone SEs 2nd generation) connected via wi-fi - working OK.
  • A desktop PC. This is usually conneted by wi-fi via an ethernet connection between my PC and the router. Since I installed the new router this will not see my Sonos system, even when I’ve connected to one of the units via an ethernet cable.

To help you further I’ve attached a few more pictures:

• A screenshot from iphone showing that all four Sonos components can be seen.
  • A screenshot from my PC where the connection proceedure tells me to press a button that I don’t have - the Pause/Play button - my units all have a Mute button instead.
  • A picture of my Play:3 - connected to my router with an ethernet cable (blue) and showing it flashing orange after I’ve pressed the Mute and ‘+’ buttons together.

I hope that this gives you enough information.

Thanks again for your continued efforts.

Les

Hi again Rowena

I’VE SOLVED THE PROBLEM.

I thought I should save you the trouble of replying to my last post. I’ll explain what I did in case someone else has the same problem in future.

It all started with my new router. I bought a mesh system - the Eero from Amazon. It works really well and I now have a strong wi-fi signal right throuh my haouse, garage and all the way to the end of the garden. The mesh system is just a wi-fi system and doesn’t incorporate a modem - it requres an ethernet connection into a modem. I’d plugged my PC and someother things directly into the modem, and all worked well.

I’m not sure why I did this, but on a whim just now I tried plugging my PC directly into a spare ethernet connection on the first Eero unit, rather than into the modem. Amazingly the Sonos app on my PC then ‘saw’ my Sonos sytem immediately. It didn’t even go thorough the ‘Connect to an exisiting system’ screen. I have absolutely no idea why this worked - but I thought I’d tell you in case you come up against the same problem with someone else.

Thanks again for all your efforts.

Les

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @LesW. thank you for your update. I'm glad that your Sonos is working perfectly.

If you encounter any issues, just submit a diagnostic and let us know the confirmation number for us to check what’s going on.

Please do not hesitate to reach out or create a topic if you still have further questions or concerns. 

The Sonos Community is always here to help.

Hi Rowena

Another update, just in case it’s useful in future.

I was a bit too quick thinking that I had solved the problem. Although plugging my PC directly to the Eero unit allowed the Sonos app to work on my PC, it meant that I couldn’t see the NAS where my music is stored.

This drove me mad for a while. Eventually I plugged my PC directly back into my modem, but set the Eero system to work in Bridge mode. I had to reconnect all my Sonos units as though setting up for the first time, but finally, everything is working perfectly  again, and the Eero mesh system means that I get a great connection to the Sonos sytem, even in the depths of my garage.

Regards

Les

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @LesW, thanks for the update and for sharing this with us. We are glad to know that your Sonos system is working perfectly again. 

We really appreciate you for providing descriptive information and the step-by-step procedure to address a similar issue. This will be helpful to our Sonos users in the community. Please continue sharing your experiences with us. 

Feel free to reach out to us or create a topic if you still have further questions or concerns. 

You're always welcome here.

Note to all: When replacing a router one should shut down EVERYTHING on the network. With respect to SONOS, there is no need to Factory Reset any units because this simply results in much more nonproductive work.

Restart in the following order:

Modem (If any)
Router
Network Switches (if any)
WiFi Access points (if any)
NAS (if any)
Wired SONOS
Wireless SONOS
Everything else

If the WiFi SSID (name) or password has changed, you’ll need to deal with that too. Some WiFi clients will raise a fuss if the access WiFi access point hardware changes. In this case you’ll need to “forget” the old access point and set up the connection again -- even if the credentials are identical.