New router - how to setup without Ethernet?

• 13 December 2015
  • 37 replies

Userlevel 1
Is there another method for logging in to my new router wirelessly? The router is installed very high up in a closet and I cannot easily do the wiring temporarily thing I see in all the instructions. That should not be the only method for dealing with this anyway! It's a wireless speaker! Please tell me there is another way. Factory reset?
Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

Thanks for the helpful reply, Stuart; glad you took the time. Multiple people on this thread have talked about how frustrating and inconvenient this feature is, so it's obviously a problem on some level. Sonos may not consider it a problem, and maybe the number of bad reviews they get because of it is negligible enough that it doesn't matter, but I stand by what I and others have observed here, which is that in this day and age almost no wireless technology requires a network cable for setup, and it seems weird and unnecessary for that to be the case. Our Sonos speaker did not come with a network cable, despite your claim that they all do, and while I'm happy for you that you have a whole collection of them, I've had no reason to have one at home in years, until now. Sure, they're cheap, and yes, I can go out and buy or borrow one, so it's not like this is an intractable problem. At the time that I posted, however, I was trying to get it set up and just wanted to add my voice to the numerous other ones pointing out how pointlessly inconvenient it is not to be able to connect to a new network wirelessly, or for it not to even remember a network that it's previously been connected to. It's a fine product in most ways, but if I'm ever in the market for this kind of thing again, I'll go with bluetooth since it's so much more convenient, portable, and versatile.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Also created an account just to chime in. Brought our speaker to my in-laws' house for our baby shower and had to use an Ethernet cable to pair it with their network. Now that we're home and trying to reconnect to our own network, we're going to have to do a factory reset (which, for what it's worth, Sonos warns "is NOT RECOMMENDED!") since we don't have an Ethernet cable. What an absurd and outdated limitation on the functionality of a wireless device, especially in a case like this where it was previously configured on this network. As others have noted, there are plenty of other kinds of devices that have no problem switching to a new network and are thus massively more convenient. It's not like that requires cutting-edge tech. It seems like this is an intentional restriction designed to make it harder to share or move the speaker, like the companies and industries that decades ago began making products with intentionally short life spans to artificially increase demand as you're forced to buy new ones more often ("planned obsolescence"). On the other hand, maybe this is simple incompetence and unresponsiveness.

The fact that this problem exists, and that no one at Sonos has so much as bothered to respond after two years of customer complaints about it, will 100% make the difference in whether I will buy any more Sonos products and whether I will recommend them to friends.

The thing is it isn't a problem which is why Sonos haven't responded.

Sonos provide detailed and simple instructions on how to proceed if you change your router (which is the same as what you did except you moved the Sonos units rather than the router). The fact that you forgot to bring the network cable is hardly indicative of a wider Sonos problem. Apart from everything else Sonos supply a network cable with every unit and I don't know about you but I've got at least 10 network cables at home. And even if you didn't you're not seriously telling me you couldn't have borrowed one?
Also created an account just to chime in. Brought our speaker to my in-laws' house for our baby shower and had to use an Ethernet cable to pair it with their network. Now that we're home and trying to reconnect to our own network, we're going to have to do a factory reset (which, for what it's worth, Sonos warns "is NOT RECOMMENDED!") since we don't have an Ethernet cable. What an absurd and outdated limitation on the functionality of a wireless device, especially in a case like this where it was previously configured on this network. As others have noted, there are plenty of other kinds of devices that have no problem switching to a new network and are thus massively more convenient. It's not like that requires cutting-edge tech. It seems like this is an intentional restriction designed to make it harder to share or move the speaker, like the companies and industries that decades ago began making products with intentionally short life spans to artificially increase demand as you're forced to buy new ones more often ("planned obsolescence"). On the other hand, maybe this is simple incompetence and unresponsiveness.

The fact that this problem exists, and that no one at Sonos has so much as bothered to respond after two years of customer complaints about it, will 100% make the difference in whether I will buy any more Sonos products and whether I will recommend them to friends.
Had to opt for the factory reset to connect to a new wireless router as I have no option to make an ethernet connection.
Came here to echo the sentiment of many...the fact you can set-up a Sonos without connecting an ethernet but you can't change wireless networks without connecting an ethernet is baffling. Good luck everyone!
Can Sonos please wake up and implement this function?

My move to HomePod just became easier. No Ethernet involved, ever...

Sonos Staff and Engineers - Here you go. The fact that you guys are (or simply the Product Manager) are so lazy or pleased with the hole in this service/capability (actually considering how long this has been an issue...completely stupid and clueless with this issue) is really shocking - considering the depth of your engineering talent you have. I have 2 play1, 1 1 play3, play5 and playbar. Listen boys and girls - here is what you need to build. When I change my router I should be able to press and hold a button on any Sonos speaker, which is then invoking the speaker to be in New Install Mode (and sending out new SID to connect to mobile App). My entire speaker configuration should be stored in the Cloud under my account. If it's not, you need to build this. Not hard...you already have access to that data. I then just use App which can sense a new wifi router SSID, I selected it, type in my wifi password, and then am asked to select that Sono speaker I just pushed the reset button on, and then I select it, and then I am asked to log into Sonos with Sonos ID and password. At that point it sucks down my rear right and left and play bar and group settings - and I am done. The entire Sonos speakers are on the new router. Do I need to whiteboard it for you?
Created an account just to come here and agree with other posters. It is ridiculous to have to factory reset or use an ethernet cable (seriously????) to change wifi settings. I changed routers and ALL my other gadgets were able to wirelessly change. But not my Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It is not separate network.
But it’s a different Wi-fi network altogether on the unifiqi to the bt hub (bt hubs Wi-fi is off so it doesn’t interfere with the AP one ) that’s how I understand it anyways
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You should be able to plug into the Ethernet ports on the bt hub to setup. You don’t need to plug into the access point.
I’m just about to hard reset my play one and 3 not that I want to , my Wi-fi was awful from my bt Home hub so I bought a unifiqi access point ( Wi-fi problems all solved it’s amazing ) the only problem is i had to turnof my bt Wi-fi Which has the Ethernet ports attached . The unifiqi doesn’t have any Ethernet ports hence my hard reset come on Sonos sort this out !
Amazing if only they would listen
Speechless...
Sonos Staff and Engineers - Here you go. The fact that you guys are (or simply the Product Manager) are so lazy or pleased with the hole in this service/capability (actually considering how long this has been an issue...completely stupid and clueless with this issue) is really shocking - considering the depth of your engineering talent you have. I have 2 play1, 1 1 play3, play5 and playbar. Listen boys and girls - here is what you need to build. When I change my router I should be able to press and hold a button on any Sonos speaker, which is then invoking the speaker to be in New Install Mode (and sending out new SID to connect to mobile App). My entire speaker configuration should be stored in the Cloud under my account. If it's not, you need to build this. Not hard...you already have access to that data. I then just use App which can sense a new wifi router SSID, I selected it, type in my wifi password, and then am asked to select that Sono speaker I just pushed the reset button on, and then I select it, and then I am asked to log into Sonos with Sonos ID and password. At that point it sucks down my rear right and left and play bar and group settings - and I am done. The entire Sonos speakers are on the new router. Do I need to whiteboard it for you?
Can't help but agree with the posters here. A Chromecast manages to set up the wireless network without even having an ethernet port, so this is certainly solvable. I borrowed my mom's Play:1 to test it at home, and I didn't bring an ethernet cable. I don't have cables available here, the wifi works fine for everything I use it for. Now I can't set up the sonos device? What an utter pain. I'm sure the sonos works fine when this has been sorted somehow, but this is a really poor first experience.
Then there is the problem that I run into. As a Mac air and ipad user, unless I go buy a dongle or cable adapter there is no ethernet port on my computer. So with some thread crossing here I will just say that I feel pretty lackluster with Sonos. Sound is great when it works but I cant use it as a speaker for movies I am streaming through my computer and now i cant set it up in my summer house as I left my desktop computer in another city.
Userlevel 1
Is there another method for logging in to my new router wirelessly? The router is installed very high up in a closet and I cannot easily do the wiring temporarily thing I see in all the instructions. That should not be the only method for dealing with this anyway! It's a wireless speaker! Please tell me there is another way. Factory reset?
Thanks.

Surprised no one else mentioned this but you can set up your Sonos without plugging into the router.

Simply reset each Sonos player per the instructions, example with the Play 1 unplug and then press and hold play/pause as you plug in. Hold until amber flashes.

Then on the controller simply select "add new Sonos setup" and configure the player again. Yes, it involves resetablishing the whole setup and will mean you'll need to reset each player in your house but it will let you do it all wirelessly and without needing to connect to a router.

Good luck. John
In fact, @ratty did mention this possibility. He also mentioned that this would destroy playlists, settings, favourites etc. Without that warning, this is bad advice.

My bad - I was working off my phone and only scanned the replies last night. Yes, this is a hard reset, as I said. Sorry for not then clarifying that - as such - it would also involve a reset of all your personalized settings. It is a good option though for those with lack of access to the router. I'm also surprised that, given that this option exists, Sonos has yet to make a modification to allow you to avoid needing to connect to the router again to maintain these settings when moving to a new location...
Thanks.

Surprised no one else mentioned this but you can set up your Sonos without plugging into the router.

Simply reset each Sonos player per the instructions, example with the Play 1 unplug and then press and hold play/pause as you plug in. Hold until amber flashes.

Then on the controller simply select "add new Sonos setup" and configure the player again. Yes, it involves resetablishing the whole setup and will mean you'll need to reset each player in your house but it will let you do it all wirelessly and without needing to connect to a router.

Good luck. John
In fact, @ratty did mention this possibility. He also mentioned that this would destroy playlists, settings, favourites etc. Without that warning, this is bad advice.
Userlevel 1
Thanks.

Good luck. John
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You could try making your WiFi network name and password the same on the new router as they were on the old one... That works for some companies' devices, but not all.

Of course, you should also reboot your Sonos devices once they reconnect, so that they can get new IP addresses from the new router.
Userlevel 1
Badge
If you are on communal WiFi, you shouldn't be connecting Sonos (or anything else) without a firewall of some sort. Get a travel router and log it in to your communal WiFi. This will set up your own protected network. Buy one with an outboard Ethernet connection and you can also set up your Sonos

It's not a communal network - it just doesn't have an accessible Ethernet port. Anyway, I'm not posting here because I need advice on security. I'm posting here because it's archaic and unnecessary to require an accessible ethernet port, and Ethernet cable, to configure wireless network settings. Most other wireless devices allow one to change the network it connects to without the need for wired access, and it'd be nice if Sonos implemented the same.
It's not easy. In my case, I don't have direct access any device with an ethernet port. The wifi network is provided by the building, and not accessible.

I don't understand why ethernet is required for this. I can connect to the sonos via wifi on the old network - and while connected, I should be able to select the new network. Yes, I'd lose access to the sonos as soon as I save the settings, but only until I switch my laptop/phone to the new network as well - in exactly the same way as many wifi devices (often without ethernet ports) work.

If you are on communal WiFi, you shouldn't be connecting Sonos (or anything else) without a firewall of some sort. Get a travel router and log it in to your communal WiFi. This will set up your own protected network. Buy one with an outboard Ethernet connection and you can also set up your Sonos
Userlevel 1
Badge
It's not easy. In my case, I don't have direct access any device with an ethernet port. The wifi network is provided by the building, and not accessible.

I don't understand why ethernet is required for this. I can connect to the sonos via wifi on the old network - and while connected, I should be able to select the new network. Yes, I'd lose access to the sonos as soon as I save the settings, but only until I switch my laptop/phone to the new network as well - in exactly the same way as many wifi devices (often without ethernet ports) work.
that is seriously not easy, can't do it on an iPhone ether had to be done on a computer.
Come on Sonos sort it out. :@

It is easy unless, perhaps, you have a 'legacy', centralised, home-run system. And configuration of Wireless Setup is possible from a Sonos controller on any fully supported OS.
You do know you do not need to connect it directly to the router? It only needs to be connected via Ethernet to the network. In a home with the router in so inaccessible a location, I assume (possibly incorrectly) that you have wired Ethernet ports in more accessible places, such as a wall plate in each room? If not, I question the decision of making the router so inaccessible. It is not just Sonos that requires initial configuration via Ethernet.