New music downloaded via apple music not showing in Sonos app

• 9 December 2016
  • 36 replies

Any new music i download to my iPhone or ipad from apple music doesn't show in the "On this iPhone", i can use the Apple Music tab to go find it that way but if i go to "on this iphone" and try and find any of the songs or album they just are not there. Also if i add a newly dowloaded song to one of my playlists on the iphone they don't update within the Sonos app either.
I've tried updating the music index but that doesn't do anything.

help!!

36 replies

Go into the music player on your iPhone. Select "Library" on the row of icons along the bottom of the screen, then select "downloaded music" (Note: you may have to do an "edit" from the top left for that to show up on the list of sources). Then select "songs".

Does the new music show up in that list? If not, you haven't actually downloaded it to your device, and you're playing it from iCloud.

If it does show up, then in the Sonos app, it should show up under "on this iPhone". If you find that the data is truly there, and it's not showing up, I'd run a diagnostic, and post the resultant number here, so that someone at Sonos can look and potentially see what the issue is.

If I had a nickel for every time someone posted that they'd downloaded the music, but actually hadn't, I'd have at least $.50 more than I do. Which is to say it's a common problem here, and nothing to fret about. But in all cases that I've been able to determine as resolved, it's been this issue.

Give it a shot, and if not, post the diagnostic number, and someone will be along from Sonos to help.
Are you talking about purchased music stored on your iPhone, or offline content that you haven't bought? Offline content has never been playable through Sonos (or other third party systems)
Thanks for your response Airgetlam and John B, unfortunately i had already checked that out and yes the music is purchased and downloaded to the iPhone itself rather than being played via the iCloud.

Here is the diagnostic number if someone at Sonos can help me please: 6844497
I'll offer this as a last attempt, then, and let Sonos handle it from here on. You should be sure that the music is in one of the supported formats. That being said, I don't know if any music you would buy from Apple wouldn't be, but that's the only thing I can think of that would cause this sort of behavior, as John B is completely correct.

Hopefully, the diagnostic will help the guys at Sonos pinpoint the issue.
Anyone at Sonos able to help?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Anyone at Sonos able to help?

Hi PDC6000,

Music downloaded from Apple Music contains DRM protection and can't be played by Sonos. You can stream that music from Apple Music to Sonos though.

Any music purchased through iTunes should be playable on Sonos though. If you download that music to your phone's storage it should show up in the menu area for this iPhone in the Sonos app.

If the music doesn't show up there, most likely it's not stored on your phone's hard drive. Please check to make sure the music is not still in the cloud. Phone updates can sometimes remove songs from local storage and put them back in the cloud where Sonos can't access them.

Also, with some podcasts and the like, they are not stored in your phone's music location and they can't be streamed to the Sonos system.

If your music is stored on your phone's drive, it may help to fully reboot your phone by holding the power button down until the red slide bar appears, then sliding the bar across. When the phone boots up it will re-index the local music files.
I have exactly the same problem. Have you found a fix?
He probably realised that the music really was in the cloud after all.
But also check iPhone Settings, Privacy, Media Library. Make sure Sonos allowed access.
I ran into the same issue and i think i know why. So i downloaded a collection of 45 KISS songs. I didn’t wait until the full download of every song before opening Sonos. (Likely where the issue/bug occurred) About 8 of the 45 are on sonos’s playlist in the “on this phone section”(those had been downloaded), but all 45 are on my phone. Pictures attached to show that Itunes purchase was made, songs are on the iphone (in download section, not cloud), but Sonos isn’t recognising the full list. I restarted my phone 3 times. Still same results. Security settings are fine. Diagnostic confirmation number is: 8086564. I can play all the songs on my iphone, but only 8 through Sonos. Using latest updates, but still nothing. Any thoughts? Seems like i’m not the only one. Been using Sonos for 3 years. Never had this problem.
I've ready all of these posts and I still have this issue. I do have a log of music downloaded to my phone. But when I got to the SONOS app to play that music I doesn't show up. I have approximately 500 CDs that I downloaded and added to may iTunes library. I also have a lot of music that has been purchased directly from the library. I download a large portion of the music so I can play over bluetooth in the car and boat without consuming my data plan. I can stream the downloaded music over bluetooth without any problems and without incurring any data usage. But the SONOS app just doesn't see all of my downloaded music even though I legally own every bit of it. I can even show you all of the CDs I own and still have stashed in a closet. I worked for Camelot music when I was in college 🙂
I thought it might be a glitch on the download so I tried deleting it from my library and re-downloading. No luck. Still not showing on Sonos on this iPhone. Diagnostic # 8264926
Figured it out...Browse/Add Music Player/Apple Music/Sign In and continue. It now recognizes my Apple Music that I’ve downloaded.
[quote=Jeff S]Anyone at Sonos able to help?

Hi PDC6000,

Music downloaded from Apple Music contains DRM protection and can't be played by Sonos. You can stream that music from Apple Music to Sonos though

I don’t understand your second sentence. I pay a monthly subscription to download music from Apple Music. Are you confirming that Sonos / Apple will not allow the playing of music legal purchased through this method?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Downloading music to the phone from Apple Music (leased music) can not be played/accessed from Music Library section in Sonos.

You wouldn't want to play that way anyhow with your phone serving the song.

Those songs have to be played form the Apple Music App within Sonos. They will show under My Music within the app. They then don't play from your actual phone they are fetched by Sonos from the Apple Servers and played directly.
Thank you for clarifying. Odd but at least I understand now. I have also figured out how to make better use of the Search tool which DOES allow me to locate the music I was looking for. I find it very strange that I can stream / play music that is being ‘leased’ through Apple Music this way but not directly through my downloaded collection.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The apple music app verifies your lease and lets it play. You can't play it via any other means except the apple music app. That's the rules!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
When Sonos adds Airplay 2 to the system this year you would then be able to play the songs direct from your apple music app (although still playing your downloaded songs from your phone to Sonos is still not the best way quality wise to do it).

The Sonos app is the way to go!
Is that the same for Spotify too? You can’t play downloaded Spotify tracks, just ones streamed through app?

Also, does that mean I can only stream Apple Music tracks via the internet rather than downloaded by my phone.
Downloading music to the phone from Apple Music (leased music) can not be played/accessed from Music Library section in Sonos.

You wouldn't want to play that way anyhow with your phone serving the song.

Those songs have to be played form the Apple Music App within Sonos. They will show under My Music within the app. They then don't play from your actual phone they are fetched by Sonos from the Apple Servers and played directly.

Gotta disagree. Since Sonos can’t seem to figure out how to shuffle ALL SONGS from within Apple Music (on libraries like mine which are not large - only about 2k songs), playing from the iPhone is the most convenient way to shuffle - rather than selecting a single artist, album, genre or making playlists small enough to shuffle.
Badge +1
Well we are still having this issue. We do not use the Apple Music service, we just buy the songs/albums through the regular iTunes store. We download purchased music to our phones from the iTunes store and the songs do not show up in the Sonos app under "On This Phone.

My wife and I will both have albums downloaded on our phones but when we both to into the Sonos app and "On This Phone" and neither of us will see all the albums. She will see some and I might see entirely different ones.
I have the same problem which has been reported by users for almost 4 years. When is Sonos going to fix this? And after reading all of the other threads:

- yes the music is downloaded on my phone and not only being played in the cloud
- yes I have reindexed in the sonos app
- yes I have reset my phone

Wing this can see some music and nothing after a ‘point in time’ this is clearly a Sonos issue and not apple related. Pretty disappointed with the response to this issue by Sonos, and I’ve invested a lot of money into their system.
Hmmm, I could swear I just wrote a post about this on another thread.

For some period of time, Apple put their music in a format that included DRM (Digital Rights Management), which meant that the only app that could be used to play them was the iTunes app. At some point in the last several years, they gave up on that requirement, and have re-released all of the previously recorded tracks without DRM, so that they could be played by any music player, including Sonos.

It's entirely possible that some of the music that you purchased and downloaded from Apple are in this "unreadable" format. I had quite a few tracks that were in this situation myself. The good thing is, you can just delete your downloads from your device, be it iPhone or Mac, and just redownload a new copy, which will not be DRM encoded, and it should then work without issue on the Sonos speakers.

Unfortunately, to my knowledge, there's no easy way to identify whether a track that you have previously downloaded does have DRM encoding. There probably is, but I've never bothered to look in to it. All I did was delete my library that I had previously downloaded, and then downloaded fresh copies from Apple, and it all just started working in any music player I chose.

It's entirely possible that this is the situation that you're in. And, it's possible that it isn't, so if it isn't, I would try playing one of those tracks that don't work, and then submit a system diagnostic, and contact Sonos to discuss it. There will likely be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
Thanks for your message Bruce. That explanation is well thought out. In this case The songs that don’t appear ‘on this phone’ in the Sonos app are recently downloaded- post the end coding change
On the identification issue. The old DRM-style protection files had extension .m4p, I think.

If the recent tracks we are talking about are offline content not outright purchases then they are STILL Apple DRM protected in that they can only be played on Apple devices not third party players such as Sonos. This is an Apple decision and complaining about Sonos or to Sonos is pointless

It is possible that Airplay2 will provide a workaround for this when it comes to Sonos, but we shall have to see.