Question

New dropping, skipping and ungrouping...

Hi,

My SONOS system is currently giving me fits. I get frequent dropouts when listening to my fav radio stations, Apple Music and Tidal. I also keep having to regroup my speaker sets. The rest of the house (computers, iPads and my TV, SONOS Soundbar) are all working fine.

I am a Comcast user: Arris TM722 modem and I have upgraded all my Apple Airport gear to a full set of Eero Wireless. I have three Sonos Connect Amps and one SONOS Connect (wired into my stereo receiver and directly connected to my network with an ethernet cable). This all mostly world very well until recently.

What should I do here?

Thanks,

Max

4 replies

Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not wireless problems. The typical cause is duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.
I am a Comcast user: Arris TM722 modem and I have upgraded all my Apple Airport gear to a full set of Eero Wireless.
Put your SonosNet on channel 11 (in Advanced Settings). There used to be an eero FAQ which said they used channel 1 with a 40MHz width. (A thread on reddit tends to corroborate this.) If that's the case it would leave only ch 11 for Sonos.
Thank You Gentlemen!

So far what I did was turn everything off and then rebooted them all, mostly as described by agate. I have been streaming my fav radio station for about 30 mins without a skip, drop or any grouping issue...

I will look into the channel seeing if I have any more issues...

*** Update: I went into the Advanced Settings in my SONOS App and the channel was set to Channel 6. I have since switched it Channel 11...
After a couple of hours streaming my radio station: ALL IS GOOD!!!

In the past I have had issues with my music SONOS Connects and Connect Amp. I also have a SONOS Soundbar connected to my TV and that has given me zero issues...

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings