Answered

New Asus RT-AX82U/AX5400 Router Sonos System Not Showing Any Recommendations?

• 5 December 2020
  • 73 replies

Badge

Background:

Family Room: AMP w/Sonos ONE (pair as surrounds)

Backyard: Connect(gen2)

Asus RT-AX82U/AX5400 Router

After installing new router and updating the wifi settings, the Sonos App (S2) does one of the following: 1) stays grey and doesn’t show up 2) only shows the Connect 3) Works perfectly for 3-5 seconds and then the system dissapears.

I've gone in and adjusted the router settings as recommended in various help sections, turned off the auto-priority/QoS settings in the router, updated the channel to Ch6 within the 2.4 channel, did the whole direct plug ethernet cord into the amp, and ONE speaker to update the wifi information directly as recommended. Also rebooted all sonos products.

The only thing working right now is the family room because it feeds audio in from the TV.

Any recommendations or links would be helpful...spent the last few days becoming a fake fix-it dude.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Toad74 18 December 2020, 22:07

View original

73 replies

I’m a network engineer and using old router firmware just doesn’t sit well with me.  I bought this router because of its QOS function to help with my video conference calls.  Turning off QOS is not an option for me.

With that being sad I did try the suggested old firmware Version 3.0.0.4.384.9948 and it worked ok. Definitely way better than the newer firmware versions.  It still wasn’t 100% though, more like 90%. 

I ended up buying a Sonos Boost off ebay and everything is 100% now.  Its not the option I wanted to take but like I don’t like my Sonos not working.

edit:  im on the newest router firmware

Hi there, any recent issue with the latest RT-AX82U firmware?  3.0.0.4.386_45375 

Sonos Play 1 disappeared from my network. I am no longer able to setup via Sonos S2 app wirelessly (screen shot attached) Factory reset them, but still the same. 

Only way to setup is via an ethernet cable, but once cable removed it’ll dropped again. 

Before I start rolling back to an older firmware, any idea which version of RT firmware is “the most” stable along with Sonos?

Thanks!

How can Asus, one of the largest router manufacturer, have such poor customer support.

One year of unresolved interoperability issues with Sonos is a shame.

This is my last Asus product ever! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

The short answer is that if you use a boost everything works fine. Annoying, but it is a quick workaround for ASUS routers, which seem to have had this issue for years!

I was unaware of it, because I’ve been using sonos since the old bridge days. At one point, I bought an ASUS router, and tried to dispense with the bridge, but no nice.  

When the S2 updates came along, I updated all of my Sonos kit that was necessary to use it, and got a boost to replace the bridge.

I recently tried to remove the boost, while using one of ASUS new Zen AX mesh systems. It would allow me to add the newest devices that use 5G wifi, but not the 4.2, which it continued not to see. 

So, the boost is back in place, and I console myself with the idea that Sonos mesh is cool. Still, I’d like to free up the Ethernet port and drop one electric device off of my grid. 

OK I’ve finally had some joy here. I actually bought a Boost (which I also couldn’t get working - another story..). However, whilst working through the Boost issue, the Sonos tech on the phone asked me if it was viable to plug one of my devices directly in to the router and switch the SonosNet to wired.  We tried this and all of the Sonos devices (old and new) happily joined again - and stayed joined.

I am now running the latest Asus firmware and all working ok.

As for the Boost - it’s going back but I guess if we ever move to a larger house I may need to revisit.  For now though all good.

bruvva74, very helpful post - please clarify after connecting wired, were you able to return to a WiFi connection for all speakers?  If yes, everything working ok after a month?  Thanks

Badge

OK I’ve finally had some joy here. I actually bought a Boost (which I also couldn’t get working - another story..). However, whilst working through the Boost issue, the Sonos tech on the phone asked me if it was viable to plug one of my devices directly in to the router and switch the SonosNet to wired.  We tried this and all of the Sonos devices (old and new) happily joined again - and stayed joined.

As for the Boost - it’s going back but I guess if we ever move to a larger house I may need to revisit.  For now though all good.

@bruvva74 What does “switch the SonosNet to wired” mean? I’m not familiar with the SonosNet concept. Is that some kind of setting in the Sonos app? Also, did you have to go through this wiring process for each of your Sonos devices, or just the one mentioned above? Could you please explain?

Userlevel 7

@bruvva74 What does “switch the SonosNet to wired” mean? I’m not familiar with the SonosNet concept. Is that some kind of setting in the Sonos app? Also, did you have to go through this wiring process for each of your Sonos devices, or just the one mentioned above? Could you please explain?

He means he wired one speaker to his router to create SonosNet. In a wired setup, the wired product will broadcast a dedicated wireless network (SonosNet) that your Sonos products will use. Surround speakers or Sub cannot be used as the single wired product.

You do not need to wire all your speakers, one is sufficient, but having multiple sonos speakers wired to the router can result in a more stable system. A Sonos Boost can also be used to create SonosNet where no speaker is near the router.

Badge

Ok, thanks for explaining that @Mr. T 

Since I don’t have a Sonos Boost (only 2 Sonos One speakers, in close range to the wifi router) I don’t want to invest in that.

Badge

I received words from an old Asus engineer. He told me that Sonos has been tinkering way outside the wifi standards and making use of unreliable protocol parameters since years back. Asus has since a long time discouraged wifi-product developers from making themselves dependent on these parameters.

Last year Asus rolled out firmware which effectively plugged these “holes”. For security- and stability reasons, they do not plan to reinstall those holes in the future. Instead, Asus leave it to any developers of wifi devices to follow protocol standards.

Personally, I think this says a lot. Sonos probably had some good coders employed a few years ago. They should have kept them.

This also explains all observations reported here in the Sonos discussion forum. I just ordered a pair of Apple HomePod minis.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I received words from an old Asus engineer. He told me that Sonos has been tinkering way outside the wifi standards and making use of unreliable protocol parameters since years back. Asus has since a long time discouraged wifi-product developers from making themselves dependent on these parameters.

Last year Asus rolled out firmware which effectively plugged these “holes”. For security- and stability reasons, they do not plan to reinstall those holes in the future. Instead, Asus leave it to any developers of wifi devices to follow protocol standards.

Personally, I think this says a lot. Sonos probably had some good coders employed a few years ago. They should have kept them.

This also explains all observations reported here in the Sonos discussion forum. I just ordered a pair of Apple HomePod minis.

I call BS on what this ASUS engineer claims. If there was a grain of truth in this, why would a factory reset of a router cause it to suddenly work correctly?

He means he wired one speaker to his router to create SonosNet. In a wired setup, the wired product will broadcast a dedicated wireless network (SonosNet) that your Sonos products will use. Surround speakers or Sub cannot be used as the single wired product.

You do not need to wire all your speakers, one is sufficient, but having multiple sonos speakers wired to the router can result in a more stable system. A Sonos Boost can also be used to create SonosNet where no speaker is near the router.

Thanks for responding to Arrbie Mr. T - couldn’t have put it better myself. :)

Hey guys,

Asus AX82U user here - has anyone tried the new firmware to see if it works with the sonos one?

Version 3.0.0.4.386.46061

2022/01/12 55.26 MBytes

ASUS RT-AX82U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.46061
Security
- Fixed string format stacks vulnerability
- Fixed cross-site-scripting vulnerability
- Fixed informational vulnerability.
Thanks to Howard McGreehan.

-Fixed SQL injection vulnerability
-Fixed json file traversal vulnerability
-Fixed plc/port file traversal vulnerability
-Fixed stack overflow vulnerability
Thanks to HP of Cyber Kunlun Lab

-Fixed authenticated stored XSS vulnerability
Thanks to Luke Walker – SmartDCC

-Fixed LPD denial of service vulnerability
-Fixed cfgserver heap overflow vulnerability
-Fixed cfgserver denial of service vulnerability
Thanks to TianHe from BeFun Cyber Security Lab.

Added more ISP profile
Digi 1 - TM
Digi 2 - TIME
Digi 3 - Digi
Digi 4 - CTS
Digi 5 - ALLO
Digi 6 - SACOFA
Maxis - CTS
Maxis - SACOFA
Maxis - TNB/ALLO

Fixed AiMesh guest network issues.
Fixed DDNS issues where the WAN IP is IPv6
Fixed UI bugs in Administration --> feedback.
Fixed time zone error.
Improved the connection stability.

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5:d2deab6adbbb2c89545dffb662eae3ee

Badge

Has anybody tried this latest firmware?

My router came with 43575 and it’s working okay, with some dropouts. Would be interested to see if the latest one works better. 

Still much better than my Google Wifi, which barely worked at all. Spot the common denominator... 

My router came with 43575 and it’s working okay, with some dropouts. Would be interested to see if the latest one works better. 

Still much better than my Google Wifi, which barely worked at all. Spot the common denominator... 

I’ve just installed the new firmware on the ASUS AX82U and can confirm it works perfectly with our Sonos ARC and Sonos One speakers, where as previous versions our ONE would not connect. 

Badge

I’ve just installed the new firmware on the ASUS AX82U and can confirm it works perfectly with our Sonos ARC and Sonos One speakers, where as previous versions our ONE would not connect. 

Great, thank you. I’ll give it a go. 

Great, thank you. I’ll give it a go. 

Let me know how you get on! 

Any news here? I have a Sonos Play:1 and a RT-AX82U wireless router with 3.0.0.4.386_46061 firmware. I see the Sonos connected as a client on the router settings (2.4GHz), but no devices on the network can talk to it. I have airwave fairness disabled on both bands.

I tried reseting the Sonos and the setup succeeded but the app can’t see it afterwards. 

Just use SonosNet (‘wired’) mode and avoid all these complications. 

My speaker is far away from any ethernet connections. Would one of these bridges solve my issue: https://www.amazon.com/Sonos-Wireless-Network-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B000X1TS54 (i.e. connect bridge to ethernet and speaker to bridge)?

My speaker is far away from any ethernet connections. Would one of these bridges solve my issue: https://www.amazon.com/Sonos-Wireless-Network-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B000X1TS54 (i.e. connect bridge to ethernet and speaker to bridge)?

Note: the older Sonos ‘Bridge’ only works with an S1 System/App - it does not work with S2. An S2 system will work with its successor, the Sonos ‘Boost’ 

Badge

I returned the router and purchased an Archer AX-11000 from Costco. Zero issues and now I have super long range 2g band and two 5g WiFi bands. This thing is awesome.

Hi everyone! I know the thread has been solved already, but I'd like to share my experience with my Asus GT-AX6000 and the settings that helped me resolve the connection issues.

Perhaps it might benefit someone in the future, especially considering my multiple attempts to seek help from Sonos support (both chat and phone) were unproductive. Initially, they informed me that the product, a SYMFONISK floor lamp, wasn't compatible with Wi-Fi 6 routers, essentially implying it was my problem, and I was on my own.