Question

New Apple Airport Extreme not connecting to my sonos system

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

I seem to be having a similar issue. I replaced an older time capsule with the most recent generation. Prior to this change Sonos was connecting fine. Now connection is very intermittent if at all. 

However, a few things are different than the previous posters and the FAQ that is referenced.

Here is my current setup:
Cable modem wired to Time capsule; Sonos bridge is wired to time capsule.
No other sonos devices are hardwired to Time capsule.
Only one router / AP is used on the network. 
All Sonos devices (A play 5 and Play 3) are wireless (except for the aforementioned bridge).
I have done a factory reset on all sonos devices (as i thought that would help / refresh the network settings).

Sometimes i can connect to the devices and sometimes they will play. After a while they will loose connection. Other / most times i can not connect to them at all.

Based on the FAQ liked above things should be working since i only have one sonos device wired.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I seem to be having a similar issue. I replaced an older time capsule with the most recent generation. Prior to this change Sonos was connecting fine. Now connection is very intermittent if at all. 

However, a few things are different than the previous posters and the FAQ that is referenced.

All Sonos devices (A play 5 and Play 3) are wireless (except for the aforementioned bridge).
I have done a factory reset on all sonos devices (as i thought that would help / refresh the network settings).

Sometimes i can connect to the devices and sometimes they will play. After a while they will loose connection. Other / most times i can not connect to them at all.

Based on the FAQ liked above things should be working since i only have one sonos device wired.  

Hi there,

It sounds like either the wired BRIDGE is having trouble maintaining a connection to the Time Capsule, or the wireless Sonos components are not maintaining a wireless connection to the BRIDGE.

While the system is working, please submit a diagnostic report by following these steps and let me know what your confirmation number is. I can have a closer look at the logs from the Sonos devices.

Thanks.

Thanks. diagnostic submitted (3243128). 
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Thanks for the diagnostic. I'm seeing multiple instances of the BRIDGE reporting that it has lost connection with the DHCP server (your router). According to the report, it happened multiple times in one day. This could be because the BRIDGE is losing connection to the router, either because of a bad Ethernet connection or because the router itself is losing power / restarting. I'd recommend changing the Ethernet cable the runs between the BRIDGE and the router to see if behavior improves. If it doesn't, you can then try changing the Ethernet ports being used on both the router and the BRIDGE. Let me know if you still don't see any improvement after taking these steps.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hello everyone, some good news.

As some of you know, the 2013 Airport Extreme / Time Capsule models are on our list of unsupported hardware since it has trouble with more than one Sonos component wired to it at any given time.

Apple's most recent firmware for the Airport Extreme and Time Capsule (version 7.7.2) will fix this particular issue. As long as your Airport Extreme or Time Capsule is running firmware version 7.7.2 and above, it should no longer have problems when multiple Sonos devices are wired to it, so we recommend updating the Airport devices.

Just as a clarification, this is an update for your Apple devices, not a Sonos update.
I just purchased an Airport Extreme running ver 7.7.2.
If I connect my Play 3 to a hard wired Ehternet port all works fine. If I try to go wireless the Play 3 won't connect.
I am having the same issue with my play 5 using Airport Extreme running 7.7.2.  I have to wireless printers, an apple and windows laptop, and various mobile devices functioning without issue
I am having the same issue with my play 5 using Airport Extreme running 7.7.2.  I have to wireless printers, an apple and windows laptop, and various mobile devices functioning without issue
ok, i unplugged both the bridge and play 5 from power for a few minutes and switch the ethernet port used on the back of the bridge...after powering back on it configured instantly without any issues
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Walt, what other Sonos components do you have wired to the router when this occurs? If your BRIDGE is wired to the router, are your controllers still able to see it?

Thanks for the update Jonathan, I'm glad that Sonos is now working properly with your Airport Extreme.
Hi there, i am having problems connecting my sonos to my 2012 - Airport Extreme Time capsule (running firmware 7.7.2, i have a bridge hardwired to it and if i add the path of the AE via the manage music library settings and sonos cannot find the AE? can anyone advise please.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi there, i am having problems connecting my sonos to my 2012 - Airport Extreme Time capsule (running firmware 7.7.2, i have a bridge hardwired to it and if i add the path of the AE via the manage music library settings and sonos cannot find the AE? can anyone advise please.
Try adding it via the Airport's IP address instead of the name. If the Airport Extreme is the main router (DHCP server) on your network, then the IP address shouldn't change and this will be a stable configuration. This will also help us find out if Sonos is having trouble connecting to the Airport based on its name alone or if there is another connection issue.
Hi! I just wanna say that I had the same probleme like so many else of you guys. My problems started when I bought a APE, all suddenly my Sonos couldn't be find anywhere. But then I followed Jonathan´s advice and it just worked! Thanks for a really good and useful thread about this Sonos and Apple-issue. /Magnus, sweden
I just recently changed routers to an Airport Extreme tower and setup a new network and was having tons of trouble getting them to connect to my new network. After lots of secret handshakes that did NOT work....I read in a post to unplug everything and plug back in a certain order which I did. I unplugged my router, modem, two Play 1 speakers, and my iPhone 7 and actually deleted and reinstalled the Sonos app which was the last step. SO....plug the modem back in...let it completely power up. Do the same with the router. Do the same with the Sonos components. Then I powered up my iPhone and downloaded the app again and everything connected perfectly and was beyond stoked!!!! Hope this helps someone and eliminates the frustration I went through. Aloha