Question

New Apple Airport Extreme not connecting to my sonos system

Userlevel 1
Hi, I just installed the brand new Apple Airport Extreme using the MAC Airport Utility. This is not the same utility as the one I'm used to on a windows PC. It's essentially a wizard with no real options that I could see. In any event, the router works perfectly with Macs and iPhones, but the Sonos system can't connect... Sonos Connect Amp is directly hard wired to the router, a Play 5 and a Connect are wirelessly connected. There is also a dock and 2 CR-200 controllers as well as the iPhone and iPad.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hello Marc, If you've installed a new router, the Sonos devices will need to be rebooted so they can pull new network information from the Airport Extreme. Right now, they're likely holding on to their network information given by the previous router. You can restart your Sonos components by removing the power cable for a few seconds and then plugging it back in. Please do this for each one of your Sonos players. For the SONOS CONTROL units, you can reboot through the Settings menu (if it shows no units currently) or by removing the battery, replacing the battery, and placing the unit on the charging cradle. Let me know if your Sonos devices show up again once they have been restarted. Thanks.
I had an issue with installing a 2013 Airport Extreme with sonos that I would like to share. I hooked up this new router as a hardwired extension to a older Airport Extreme that is in my basement with my cable modem. The new router is set up in bridge mode since the old one is handling the DHCP. I plugged my sonos bridge into the new bridge router and not only did it not work, it made it so that the internet connection was no longer able to function on the network. Immediately after I unplugged the sonos bridge from the router, the internet connection worked again. Thinking it was the Sonos bridge I plugged a Sonos connect directly into the new bridge router and again the internet failed again. The only way I was able to get this to work at all was to take the WAN line out of the new bridge router plug it into the sonos bridge and using the second ethernet port on the sonos bridge plug that into the WAN of the new bridge router. I assume the same could be done with the connect, play 5 or whatever sonos has two ethernet ports although I have not tried. Does this mean as a rule that any sonos equipment that is hardwired must be plugged into the main router directly and can not be connected to a airport that is extending a wireless network?
I have a very similar issue. I bought a 2013 airport extreme and put in my basement attached to my cable modem. I moved the older generation airport extreme upstairs and plugged it into ethernet and attempted to extend my wireless network (in roaming mode). As soon as I did this I lost my Sonos Network and my Internet connection. I currently have 4 Sonos units that are all wired into my homes existing ethernet. Any ideas or help would be awesome!
253540, I suggest that you switch the routers. Put the older airport down in the basement and the 2013 upstairs. Do not plug any sonos equipment into the 2013 because it does not work (for some reason). Upstairs is really where you want the better wireless transmitter probably anyway. If you are sharing the ethernet port upstairs with a sonos piece, plug the ethernet into the sons first then use the second ethernet out of the sonos to plug into the 2013 router. (Obviously you have to set up the routers so that the 2013 is doing the extending in bridge mode and the old router is doing the dhcp) . . . .
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
We've found that the 2013 Airport Extreme / Time Capsule can have some issues with Sonos if more than one Sonos device is plugged in to it at once. This may be related to the behavior you're seeing in these alternate configurations. However, this generally should not be an issue if you're only using one Sonos unit wired straight in to the Airport Extreme (with the rest wireless) or have a network switch in between the Extreme and Sonos. More info on this can be found in this FAQ. Just to clarify, the behavior you're seeing occurs when the network is in the following configuration: Previous Airport Extreme (DHCP on) --(wired to)--> New Airport Extreme (DHCP off / Bridge mode) --(wired to)--> Single wired Sonos component correct? Thanks!
Hi Ryan, The setup is slightly different: I have the new 2013 Airport Extreme (DHCP on and connected to my Cable Modem) -- (wired to) --> 16 port 10/100 Fast Ethernet Switch ---> Upstairs I am using the older generation Airport Extreme that is connected (wired) by Ethernet from the Fast Ethernet Switch. I currently have ALL 4 Sonos amps connected by Ethernet (originating from Fast Ethernet Switch). I have the older generation Airport Extreme set up with DHCP off/Bridge Mode. Are you saying that I should connect all my Sonos devices using wireless mode to make this work? Thanks
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi Ryan, The setup is slightly different: I have the new 2013 Airport Extreme (DHCP on and connected to my Cable Modem) -- (wired to) --> 16 port 10/100 Fast Ethernet Switch ---> Upstairs I am using the older generation Airport Extreme that is connected (wired) by Ethernet from the Fast Ethernet Switch. I currently have ALL 4 Sonos amps connected by Ethernet (originating from Fast Ethernet Switch). I have the older generation Airport Extreme set up with DHCP off/Bridge Mode. Are you saying that I should connect all my Sonos devices using wireless mode to make this work? Thanks
Based on your setup, I don't think it should be necessary. However, I would be very interested to know if this allows Sonos to stay on the network and not cause any problems. Would you mind giving this a try? Just leave one Sonos unit wired to the switch and take the rest wireless. We can then see if the network drops after Sonos is wired in again with only one unit. Alternatively, I'd like to know if Sonos causes trouble on the network when the older Airport Extreme is turned off.
OK - so I fixed the issue. I left one of my Sonos units wired to my network. The remaining three I moved to wireless. The other thing that I did was "hard reset" my older generation Airport Extreme. This solved the problem immediately -- Sonos worked and I had Internet connectivity again. So I'm back in business!!
Very Interesting. I definitely think the solution has more to do with the wiring of only one Sonos unit as oppose to the hard reset (I did that a million times before I figured out that disconnecting any wired Sonos from the 2013 APE solved the issue by pure dumb luck). I am not sure if Sonos should be satisfied with this as a solution as I (for one) would rather have everything hardwired if it is possible, but I am sure they will figure it out. I can't shake the feeling that this is Apple picking a fight with Sonos since it is FAR superior to the Airplay options they currently offer. Maybe that is just me though. Dumb post I know . . . .
I think this topic may not only limited to only one configuration. I have added an Air Port 2013 (coming with the time capsule) to my network. This is helping me to extend network access to more remote parts of the house, too. Unfortunately, the devices connected to the new Airport network cannot contact the Sonos Network (1 wired bridge, 3 wireless devices), while from the old WLAN, it works just fine (although very weak in the remote part of the house 😢.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I think this topic may not only limited to only one configuration. I have added an Air Port 2013 (coming with the time capsule) to my network. This is helping me to extend network access to more remote parts of the house, too. Unfortunately, the devices connected to the new Airport network cannot contact the Sonos Network (1 wired bridge, 3 wireless devices), while from the old WLAN, it works just fine (although very weak in the remote part of the house 😢.
Hi Markus, is the new Time Capsule set to extend your current WiFi network rather than create a new one? Is the Time Capsule wired in to your primary router or is it wireless? If it's creating its own network, then devices that connect to it are technically separated from Sonos, which is why they can't see it. You can check out Apple's FAQ on this. Instructions on extending the wireless network can be found in the "Configuring an extended Wi-Fi base station" section.
Hi same problem here. New AIrport Extreme 2013, set as new Wifi network. Wired to primary router. This is the only option for me. Connecting Bridge to LAN AE 2013 Result: no internet.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi same problem here. New AIrport Extreme 2013, set as new Wifi network. Wired to primary router. This is the only option for me. Connecting Bridge to LAN AE 2013 Result: no internet.
Hello Tom, Are any other Sonos units wired to the Airport Extreme or the primary router besides the BRIDGE? I'd also like to know if you have the Airport Extreme in Bridge Mode or if you've set it up to create its own, separate network. Thanks.
This is the situation: Airport Extreme 2013 (new WIFI-network, Bridge Mode) ---> wired ---> modem (WIFI off) AExtreme ---> wired ---> Sonos BRIDGE ---> unwired ---> Sonos CONNECT AExtreme ---> wired ---> Airport Express (Bridge Mode) --> unwired ---> Sonos PLAY:5 This is when my network is going down. If I do this: Airport Extreme 2013 (new WIFI-network, Bridge Mode) ---> wired ---> modem (WIFI off) AExtreme ---> wired ---> Airport Express (Bridge Mode) ---> wired ---> Sonos PLAY:5 then everything seems to work ok.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Would you mind sending a diagnostic report from Sonos when it's in the working configuration described above? Please follow the steps in this FAQ and let me know what your diagnostic confirmation number is so I can take a closer look.
I am liking the way some of you showed your setup, so here is mine. Modem ---> Old AirPort Extreme (DHCP, wired) ---> 2013 AirPort Extreme (wired, bridge, extend wireless network) ---> sonos bridge (wired) ---> sonos connect (wired) = no internet, sonos, etc. Modem ---> Old AirPort Extreme (DHCP, wired) ---> sonos bridge (wired) ---> 2013 AirPort Extreme (wired, bridge, extend wireless network) = internet, sonos all good. (Sonos connect now wireless) For the first setup as soon as I unplugged the sonos bridge, the network began working again.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I am liking the way some of you showed your setup, so here is mine. Modem ---> Old AirPort Extreme (DHCP, wired) ---> 2013 AirPort Extreme (wired, bridge, extend wireless network) ---> sonos bridge (wired) ---> sonos connect (wired) = no internet, sonos, etc. Modem ---> Old AirPort Extreme (DHCP, wired) ---> sonos bridge (wired) ---> 2013 AirPort Extreme (wired, bridge, extend wireless network) = internet, sonos all good. (Sonos connect now wireless) For the first setup as soon as I unplugged the sonos bridge, the network began working again.
In the setup that was not working, was your CONNECT in a chain with the BRIDGE back to the Airport, or did both units have their own separate Ethernet connections directly to the Airport Extreme?
Connect plugged into Sonos bridge and Sonos bridge into airport Does not work
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Interesting. The chain should not cause the network to crash in this case. Are there any additional switches wired to either the old Airport Extreme or the new one? Something is causing a network loop in the initial configuration. If you don't mind, can you also send a diagnostic report when the system is in its working condition? Please follow the steps in this FAQ and let me know what your diagnostic confirmation number is and I'll have a look. Thanks.
I have a switch hooked up to the old Airport Extreme. To that switch I have a Sonos Connect and a Sonos Amp both wired. That switch and the sonos components were hooked up the entire time I was having issues with the network and continue to be hooked up that way with everything working. I'll get back to you with the diagnostic #.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Thanks Chris. I'm showing Ethernet connections on three devices in your Sonos system: the BRIDGE, your CONNECT:AMP, and your CONNECT (Theater). Is the CONNECT wired in to the network as well or does it have something else wired to it?
The CONNECT (Main Floor) that was hooked up to the BRIDGE when I had the network issues is now wireless. The CONNECT:AMP and CONNECT (Theater) are wired to the other switch I described above. Nothing else is wired to any SONOS appliance other than the BRIDGE's connection to the New Airport Extreme.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Understood. The system is looking great otherwise. I believe in the previous configuration, something was causing a loop when Sonos had its chained connection to the new Airport Extreme, which was likely related to the 2013 model's incompatibility with Sonos. Now that Sonos is working in this configuration, are you okay with leaving it like this? If you'd like to try and get Sonos working in the other configuration, I can make a support ticket for you so we can get you in touch with a technician to find the loop. Just let me know. Thanks.
No I am all set. I was just sharing information as to how I got my system to work with the 2013 Airport Extreme to hopefully help someone.