Answered

Network usage

• 20 August 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I have noticed that my Sonos system is using a lot of bandwidth. Does anyone would know why?

97GB in the last 7 days. Unless this is local traffic (on my Wifi).

What would create this? I am not streaming radio or music through the Sonos app. I only use the Sonos system as home cinema.

Thanks for your help,

Charles

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 20 August 2021, 12:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Maybe play a couple of movies internally across your internal network only (switch off modem or uncable it from the WAN) and see if the usage value increases and corresponds to their playback and that should perhaps indicate if the value being measured relates to internal communication over the LAN.

I’d agree with Ken, my expectation is this is local traffic, not external traffic. The communication between the sound bar and the surrounds and subwoofer. Nothing significant going outside your local network, except for an occasional check for software updates. Ken’s test could confirm that. 

If the router is clocking traffic between the HT master and its satellites there’s something distinctly amiss. That traffic shouldn’t touch the router at all. 

About the only scenario where it would do so is if the HT master is wired with its “WiFi” incorrectly disabled.