Network Signal Strength

I have a large Sonos network (majority shown below) so I understand there will be some performance variances across the ecosystem but some of these stats are beyond my skill level. For instance, both the Keeping Room speaker and Theater are within feet of the wireless mesh satellite and I have. I other competing networks in close proximity. The only possibility I can think of is they are seeing one of the other satellites. 

Thoughts?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

What issue are you trying to address, with which speakers/rooms?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The background noise shown may be from being too close to other WiFi or RF radiating gear. I found putting my Sonos about a meter away from it made enough difference to stop my issues.

I can’t match your post to the Sonos devices in the picture. Keeping Room?

Have you considered switching to SonosNet (one or more wired Sonos devices) and off your home WiFi? For me that solved a lot of configuration issues, I give Sonos my clearest of the three channels (1, 6, 11) and the home WiFi the other two.

SonosNet will also activate the connections functions in the matrix and let you see what is connecting where.

There's something weird about the 2 sets of surround speakers. How are these connected?

I tried somosnet for a long time and had a number of speakers plugged in but those that couldn’t be were almost always red and would go in and out. 

regarding the surround config, I’m. It sure what you mean. I configured them as typical surrounds on the app and all are wireless. 

Userlevel 7

I tried somosnet for a long time and had a number of speakers plugged in but those that couldn’t be were almost always red and would go in and out. 

regarding the surround config, I’m. It sure what you mean. I configured them as typical surrounds on the app and all are wireless. 

When trying SonosNet, did you change the channel to see if there was less interference on other channels?
Do you have speakers that are unplugged? In your screenshot above, columns 3 and 4 are showing as “undefined”

There's something weird about the 2 sets of surround speakers. How are these connected?

I agree. Lots of root-bridges showing in the matrix… How can that happen, I wonder🤔?

I agree. Lots of root-bridges showing in the matrix… How can that happen, I wonder🤔?

Dunno, unless each satellite has somehow enabled its STP. As each is isolated (in STP terms) it could think it was root. 

I don’t have a station mode household handy to check whether this is to be expected or not. 

When trying SonosNet, did you change the channel to see if there was less interference on other channels?
Do you have speakers that are unplugged? In your screenshot above, columns 3 and 4 are showing as “undefined”

I tried all channels and it was incredibly unreliable for the speakers that weren’t wired. Speakers that are feet from a wired playbar would go in and out. 

I don’t know why select speakers show as undefined but those that do are all more modern generations, such as Beams and Moves.