Question

Network matrix / issues

• 7 November 2016
  • 5 replies

Badge +1
Hi. I often have issues with my Sonos network (intermittent playback, controllers "unable to find" my Sonos network).

I was just checking my network matrix (see attached). I was suprised to see that most of the Sonos components are not talking to eachother? Is this normal? I am pretty sure I am meant to have a mesh setup. I've also posted my about system below.

Any assitance appreciated, thanks.

Associated ZP: 192.168.0.3
---------------------------------
PLAY:3: Bedroom
Serial Number: 00-0E-58-71-55-CA:C
Version: 6.4.2 (build 331533210)
Hardware Version: 1.8.1.2-2
IP Address: 192.168.0.4
WM: 0
OTP:
PLAY:5: Kitchen
Serial Number: 00-0E-58-55-21-6E:A
Hardware Version: 1.16.4.1-2
IP Address: 192.168.0.5
OTP: 1.1.1(1-16-4-zp5s-0.5)
PLAYBAR: TV / Living room
Serial Number: 5C-AA-FD-1A-47-06:G
Version: 6.4 (build 331532291)
Hardware Version: 1.9.1.10-2
IP Address: 192.168.0.3
Audio In:
OTP:
SUB: TV / Living room
Serial Number: 5C-AA-FD-83-79-DE:D
Hardware Version: 1.8.2.5-2
IP Address: 192.168.0.6
OTP:
CONNECT:AMP: TV / Living room (LS+RS)
Serial Number: B8-E9-37-AC-FD-8E:A
Hardware Version: 1.17.3.1-2
IP Address: 192.168.0.2
OTP: 1.1.1(1-17-3-2.1)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
YOu should post diagnostic here (get diagnostic number from settings..advanced) and have Sonos look at everything.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Kitchen signal strength is way too low to keep a reliable signal going to it. Make sure you choose another player as the first selected room when you're grouping.

The surround components don't show up in the conventional mesh matrix - that's normal.
Kitchen's connection is borderline, but would probably squeeze by as group coordinator. It's best to pick a wired room to begin a group if it's a member.

Kitchen's perhaps subject to a bit of ambient noise, maybe from electrical equipment nearby. Though having said that, the PLAY:5 Gen1 seems more inclined to report 'OFDM Weak Signal Level 3' these days even in quiet conditions.

The matrix looks perfectly sensible. The surrounds' CONNECT:AMP is wired to the router (with its radio disabled), with an onward connection to the PLAYBAR. Kitchen and Bedroom wirelessly connect to the PLAYBAR over 2.4GHz, the SUB over 5GHz.

I was suprised to see that most of the Sonos components are not talking to eachother? Is this normal?
Yes. There can be only one active path between any two nodes, otherwise there'd be loops. That's why you see the Kitchen-Bedroom tunnel as 'blocking'. STP (Spanning Tree Protocol) is what sorts it all out.
Badge +1
Thanks all. Is it possible to have the CONNECT:AMP connect to the Kitchen and Bedroom? The Playbar is furtherst from the others, so probably makes a poor hub. I can wire the Playbar via ethernet (and leave the CONNECT:AMP wired as well).
No. When the CONNECT:AMP is bonded with a PLAYBAR its radio is clearly deactivated because it's redundant. The C:A has no 5GHz capability and must therefore have a wired connection to the PLAYBAR.

You already have a wire between the C:A and the PLAYBAR so I don't understand your last point. If you want to have a 'hub' near the C:A you'd need to get a BOOST, and wire it close by. You could daisy-chain the connections thus: router--CONNECT:AMP--BOOST--PLAYBAR or router--BOOST--CONNECT:AMP--PLAYBAR.