Answered

Network dropping out

• 30 June 2018
  • 6 replies

Hi all new to community hope I’m not posting a problem that already has been resolved previously.
Seems since last software update my system keeps dropping out ( boost , soundbar, 2 connect 1’s set up as surrounds ) worked fine for over a year.
Remove boost all works as it should reinstall boost problem returns ???
icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 2 July 2018, 02:39

Yes, IP assignments are the job of the DHCP server but how the Sonos system deals with the changing IPs is a Sonos issue.

I've had my Sonos setup in some form since about 2007, never had any possibly IP related issues that I noticed for years but I did start seeing them and took the suggestions here to do the static/reserved setup and they appear to have stopped. It may well be that the more frequent updates recently and the more frequent ones from the Beta program that I was in for a while just make it look like a recent problem.

I can't tell what Sonos is doing internally but I do see new and frustrating bugs popping up, the controller randomly switching rooms for example. Again I feel like it is a new issue but it may have been happening to others for years and I just haven't noticed. The work-around with the pop-up room notifier is a big plus but I miss the room selection remaining stable.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Are you wiring one of your other devices when you remove the Boost from your setup? If you aren't you may be trying to use the Boost's Sonos Net and your WiFi at the same time which can cause issues. You want to remove the WiFi credentials from all the Sonos devices to use Boost mode.

Another thing you can do is set static/reserved IPs for your Sonos gear in your router's DHCP page.

If none of that helps, then hook up the boost and reboot everything, wait a few minutes and send a diagnostic and post the ID number here so Sonos can look at your setup internals.
thanks will check this as soon as I am able and get back to you.
just seems strange it has worked fine for a year.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Mine worked fine for a long time without reserved IPs too, seems like the setup got more fragile after one of the recent updates but I have no clue which. Too lazy to dig back in the forum posts to see when the IP related posts got started.
There have always been IP related posts, certainly since before I joined 10+ years ago. And I can't really see how the setup could have got more 'fragile'. IP assignments are the responsibility of the DHCP server.
I would suspect that you're seeing the frequency of those post increase, since the situation tends to be exposed most frequently when Sonos does a software update, which they seem to be doing more frequently these days....or at least it seems that way to me. Adding features at a more frequent rate than in the past. For which I applaud them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Yes, IP assignments are the job of the DHCP server but how the Sonos system deals with the changing IPs is a Sonos issue.

I've had my Sonos setup in some form since about 2007, never had any possibly IP related issues that I noticed for years but I did start seeing them and took the suggestions here to do the static/reserved setup and they appear to have stopped. It may well be that the more frequent updates recently and the more frequent ones from the Beta program that I was in for a while just make it look like a recent problem.

I can't tell what Sonos is doing internally but I do see new and frustrating bugs popping up, the controller randomly switching rooms for example. Again I feel like it is a new issue but it may have been happening to others for years and I just haven't noticed. The work-around with the pop-up room notifier is a big plus but I miss the room selection remaining stable.