Answered

Netgear Nighthawk - system dropping/product cannot be found

Having already seen a post with the same name - totally stolen - i am having the same issue. 

Set everything up and i have regular disconnections from the app and i cant then control anything. The only remedy is to plug in my Sonos One via ethernet and wait a few seconds where the app then recognises the remaining Playbar and 2x Play:3….. super infuriating.

Had a previous Wifi Router from Vodafone bundled with the broadband package with no issues ever. Just moved house and had to purchase a new router - up steps the Netgear R6120 (AC1200), Firmware v 1.0.0.76 (the latest i can find)

does anyone else suffer the same symptoms and have regular requirements to connect via cable to reestablish the connection

Not; no devices will connect without the cable even though it can detect them???? puzzling right….

Thanks i advance 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 7 April 2021, 21:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Two suggestions.

First, try a simple refresh of your network, particularly the Sonos aspect of it. Unplug all Sonos devices from power, then reboot the router. Once the router comes back up, plug back in your Sonos device.

Oh, as an add on, call it 1.5 on the list, double check to see that your router is sending out a 2.4Ghz B/G/N network. 

Second (or really third, I should have edited this post, but I’m lazy), if those previous suggestions don’t work, wire your speaker with an ethernet cable as you have, and submit a system diagnostic , and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available beyond just the diagnostic analysis. 

Hi Airgetlam

yeah this isn't my first rodeo :)

Step 1 - Check. Full power down power up in order

Step 2 - Check. 2.4 and 5 are named differently and Playbar is on 2.4. (it’s actually this that i feel is the issue as it loses the config for surround on the app but the surround continues to work, bizarre)

Step 3 - Perfect - will give this a go and report back 

Thank  you for the assistance 

One never knows how experienced the user is, I’ve found it better to not make assumptions.

Just as a note on step 2, if you’ve got it set to N only, and not b/g compatibility, I think it can cause issues.

Remember, the surround speakers aren’t connecting to your wifi, they’re connecting to the sound bar’s 5Ghz channel. You can consider, for most practical purposes, a home theater ‘room’ as its own setup. It has a wired connection to the TV set, and the surrounds and Sub connect to the sound bar. It’s only connecting to your wifi essentially when you’re playing music/grouping it with other Sonos rooms. It’s more complex than that, but it’s a easy and clearish explanation. 

Good luck!

I don’t recall definitively whether Nighthawk has an Airtime Fairness option. If it has, then disable it.

One never knows how experienced the user is, I’ve found it better to not make assumptions.

Just as a note on step 2, if you’ve got it set to N only, and not b/g compatibility, I think it can cause issues.

Remember, the surround speakers aren’t connecting to your wifi, they’re connecting to the sound bar’s 5Ghz channel. You can consider, for most practical purposes, a home theater ‘room’ as its own setup. It has a wired connection to the TV set, and the surrounds and Sub connect to the sound bar. It’s only connecting to your wifi essentially when you’re playing music/grouping it with other Sonos rooms. It’s more complex than that, but it’s a easy and clearish explanation. 

Good luck!

Haha. No probs 

b/g/n set automatically across 2.4

Yeah so I know it’s the issue of the playbar connecting as the surrounds are ‘tethered’ to it. So how do I maintain connectivity…. conundrum 

My solution was not relying on my Netgear router, and instead using a BOOST connected to it via cable. YMMV.

I don’t recall definitively whether Nighthawk has an Airtime Fairness option. If it has, then disable it.

Hi ratty

Thanks for the tip, I can’t find airtime fairness on the Nighthawk app or the netgear web interface 

not sure my model supports it and I can’t find any reference to support on the web

Thanks again

G

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

You probably already addressed this, but…..Did you give your current network a new name and password?  Your Sonos could be storing the old credentials.  Either delete the wifi credentials in your Sonos system, or give your new network the same name and password as your previous router.

You probably already addressed this, but…..Did you give your current network a new name and password?  Your Sonos could be storing the old credentials.  Either delete the wifi credentials in your Sonos system, or give your new network the same name and password as your previous router.

New name, new password. 
changed purely to deconflict any potential issues. 

My solution was not relying on my Netgear router, and instead using a BOOST connected to it via cable. YMMV.

Ah!

Something tells me a Boost may be required 

Balls 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Any speaker wired to LAN will put your Sonos system into Sonos Net. 

Any speaker wired to LAN will put your Sonos system into Sonos Net. 

Yep, but I don’t have any LAN points near the speakers 

I think the bridge will do the same for £10 on eBay ???

router under the stairs in the middle of the house, speakers in the rooms, no cat5/6 points in the rooms either 

BRIDGE is S1 only, so no. You’d want to go with a BOOST, or as Keithmac suggests, a wire to one of the non-bonded speakers. Meaning not a surround speaker, not a Sub.

However, like you, I don’t have any speakers close enough to my router to wire, so I did end up with a BOOST. After ensuring it didn’t share the same channel as my wifi, it’s been fairly bulletproof. Except for one time when a neighbor moved in and stomped all over that channel, I just moved to the other one, and it’s been fine since then, too. 

Hi all

Thanks to everyone who tried helping 

To put all yours minds at rest I simply changed the 2.4 from Auto to channel 11. I though about 6 but moved it as far as I could incase of any ‘other’ issues  I just naturally assumes Auto would be the better option. We learn!!

So far we are rocking and rolling with the Sonos S2 app immediately picking up all speakers and their configs 

Thanks again to all