Answered

Need help: DHCP - Sonos drops - Network ????

• 23 March 2019
  • 5 replies

I have been spending the last couple of days trying to resolve an issue similar to what I found in many forums here.

Configuration:
3 Rooms setup:
Office : 2x Sonos Play1
Kitchen: 2x Sonos Play1
Living Room: Beam, Sub, and 2x surround speakers

Situation:
For the last three weeks for whatever reason, living room disappeared from my Sonos App multiple times. After reading many forums one recommendation I came across often was to assign static IP address/ create a DHCP range of IP addresses specifically for Sonos devices.

Setup:
I went into my router, created a range of static ip addresses for all Sonos devices including the ones in other rooms. I restored all Sonos devices and can confirm that all Sonos devices were assigned the new IP addresses after I rebooted my router and the speakers. Confirmation was done via Sonos App. Also, all devices are connected via SonosNET

Issue:
My problem still exist and my devices now suddenly disappear randomly and I can confirm all other devices in my house such as Alexa, Google speakers and many other device work completely fine.

This is driving me nuts and I thought I could buy the speaker to my parents as a gift but there is no chance I will do it now.

Any recommendation what else I am missing?

Thanks for your help!!!!

P.S.
I have good understanding in technology including networking.
Home setup:
Cisco switches which I configured via console myself
WiFi: Ubiquiti support the house and no other wifi is setup
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 23 March 2019, 15:14

Thoxxxxx,

This Sonos article may assist with your switches...

Sonos STP Switch Settings

However as you’re using a mesh WiFi system, I would also just ensure your Ubiquiti hub WiFi channels are not coinciding with your chosen SonosNet channel. I would 'fix' them to the 'same' non-overlapping channel, that’s if the Ubiquiti system will allow that.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Which Sonos units are wired? Could the Cisco switches be reacting to BPDUs from the Sonos units?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Also, as you are using SonosNet, have you removed any Wi-Fi credentials from within the Sonos App? If not the Sonos Units sometimes flip between connections.
Thoxxxxx,

This Sonos article may assist with your switches...

Sonos STP Switch Settings

However as you’re using a mesh WiFi system, I would also just ensure your Ubiquiti hub WiFi channels are not coinciding with your chosen SonosNet channel. I would 'fix' them to the 'same' non-overlapping channel, that’s if the Ubiquiti system will allow that.
thanks for your responses. Before I do any changes on my switches, I will connect one Sonos speaker (Play1) in my office straight to my router which is located in the basement.

I can confirm WiFi is disabled on my Sonos speakers hence SonosNet is the only turned on communication.

One more info I missed in my original post. Before I purchased additional speakers for my living room, I used to have speakers (2 play1) in the kitchen one two play1 in my office and everything worked. After I purchased one beam, sub and two Sonos one in My living room, the issues started.

In regards to STP I doubt that this is a problem since everything worked and no changes were done in my network topology.

I will provide an update soon.

Thanks for your help so far.
T
If you have wifi disabled, then SonosNet is also disabled, since it uses the same antenna as wifi does.