Answered

MyBook Live 2tb no longer allows access to Sonos. Query why?

• 4 February 2019
  • 5 replies

Have had sonos play 1 and 3 for 5 years. Bought at same time as WD MyBook Live 2tb. Music library created in public share folder at the time. Downloaded Sonos app, added filepath/share and it has worked seamlessly until very recently. Now, Sonos can no longer connect to MyBook Live. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, checked firmware on WD etc. When try to add share via settings, music library setup, add new share (either on mobile app or desktop app) it simply will not connect. I contacted WD who advised it's a legacy device so may not work, despite the fact that it's all worked nicely for 5 years. Any ideas - happy to try anything?
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 4 February 2019, 17:10

Have had sonos play 1 and 3 for 5 years. Bought at same time as WD MyBook Live 2tb. Music library created in public share folder at the time. Downloaded Sonos app, added filepath/share and it has worked seamlessly until very recently. Now, Sonos can no longer connect to MyBook Live. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, checked firmware on WD etc. When try to add share via settings, music library setup, add new share (either on mobile app or desktop app) it simply will not connect. I contacted WD who advised it's a legacy device so may not work, despite the fact that it's all worked nicely for 5 years. Any ideas - happy to try anything?If this has perhaps occurred since a firmware update of your NAS device, I would check the version of the SMB protocol that it’s now using for the share. Sonos uses SMB v1 to access the shared library. The update may have altered that.
View original

5 replies

Have had sonos play 1 and 3 for 5 years. Bought at same time as WD MyBook Live 2tb. Music library created in public share folder at the time. Downloaded Sonos app, added filepath/share and it has worked seamlessly until very recently. Now, Sonos can no longer connect to MyBook Live. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, checked firmware on WD etc. When try to add share via settings, music library setup, add new share (either on mobile app or desktop app) it simply will not connect. I contacted WD who advised it's a legacy device so may not work, despite the fact that it's all worked nicely for 5 years. Any ideas - happy to try anything?If this has perhaps occurred since a firmware update of your NAS device, I would check the version of the SMB protocol that it’s now using for the share. Sonos uses SMB v1 to access the shared library. The update may have altered that.
It's fixed. Firmware last updated in 2016 so not sure it was that. But I did the following:
On Windows 7 laptop I added SMB v1 via regedit and rebooted. Still the laptop couldnt see the MyBook. I added SMB 2 as well.
Out of sheer frustration, I rescanned, rebuilt and then rebooted the MyBook from the dashboard.
I then rebooted the laptop.
This time the laptop found the Mybook and the all important Public Share. So I opened the Sonos desktop app, added the filepath and bingo - all good.
I can't say for sure which bit of the above provided the solution, but it's working - zero thanks to WD.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I finally gave up on my WD drive after a similar response from WD. You can reuse the drive from the WD with a Raspberry Pi as a server, that works quite well. Any of the version 3 Pi will work well.

I use a 3B here with an SSD on a USB to SATA cable but given how cheap the SD cards are getting I'm considering just getting a big one and dropping the external drive.
Hesty7 can you walk me through how you did this. I'm not very tech literate and it sounds like I have the exact same problem.
Thanks
Hi,
Id be tempted to try the Rescan, rebuild option from the mybook dashboard first and see if that does the trick. Just click settings, media, status and the options are there.
If that doesn't do it, Google how to add smb1 and smb2. Sounds tricky, in reality takes couple of minutes.
Once the laptop can see the mybook you're laughing.